Step 3 vs Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staphaureus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the big difference between step 3 vs Step 2? I'm asking b/c I wonder if I can just take step 3 during 4th year (after finding out I math of course), and get it over with... I wouldn't really care about score.. or failing (unless I'm planning to do a fellowship later)... I figure, I'd either be doing surgery intern year, so I'd still have to review the rest by books... and if I'm using boards and wards, is it enough? Thanks in advance for reply.

Members don't see this ad.

What's the big difference between step 3 vs Step 2? I'm asking b/c I wonder if I can just take step 3 during 4th year (after finding out I math of course), and get it over with... I wouldn't really care about score.. or failing (unless I'm planning to do a fellowship later)... I figure, I'd either be doing surgery intern year, so I'd still have to review the rest by books... and if I'm using boards and wards, is it enough? Thanks in advance for reply.

Its the same s**t, different day. Heavy on management, lot less on diagnosis (though you need to diagnose to answer the question.). Taking the Step 3 with no residency experience is very do-able.