Step-by-step Crown Prep Procedure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cscho17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help! I'm pre-dent and just got hired as a dental assistant, to be trained on the job. But the assistant who has been training me won't be there on Monday, and the office is currently understaffed. The dentist has very high expectations, and I want to be as prepared as possible, to minimize the crashing and burning. Could someone list a general step-by-step for a crown prep? "...then the dentist will probably do some drilling, and next is cord packing...." Like that. It would be absolutely appreciated! :love:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe there's also an ext scheduled Monday, so a step-by-step of that would also help me out a huge deal.

Honestly, our advice would do no good. Every dentist does each procedure a little bit differently. A dentist can't expect you to get everything right first day on the job.. If he/she does, then you will be miserable.

Plus, crown down technique differs greatly depending on what system you're using. With no dental school experience, you won't understand. Sorry but it's the truth.

Now extraction.. my general order is..

Periosteal elevator (Molt)
Small straight elevator (301)
Medium straight if needed
Back action if needed
Forcep (150 for max posterior, 151 man posterior, 99 max anterior, ash man anterior)
East/West for root tips
Rongeur for wiggling tips out

Once again, your doc will probably do things differently. Your best bet is to get a cassette and learn the instrument names so that way you can pass them quickly once they're called.

Hup

Members don't see this ad :)
Periosteal elevator (Molt)
Small straight elevator (301)
Medium straight if needed
Back action if needed
Forcep (150 for max posterior, 151 man posterior, 99 max anterior, ash man anterior)
East/West for root tips
Rongeur for wiggling tips out

You're going to ruin your rongeur blades there broski

Okay, thanks very much! That'll help, at least.

I thought he asked for a crown prep technique and not a crown down?

I thought he asked for a crown prep technique and not a crown down?

Oops.

Ok...

Well....

Step 1: suction/blow air on mirror?

Step 2: clean up.

I've been doing way too many endos, not enough crown preps during my residency.