Step I and University based programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dawg_MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of score should I be shooting for on Step I to get into a good University based IM program? I want to keep my options open for maybe doing Cardiology when I get done with my residency.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

i am not sure what you are asking. you should get the highest score you can get.
in all situations higher scores are better than lower scores, whether you are applying for cardiology or rheumatology.

that said, cardiology is the most competitive subspecialty in medicine. you can't get in with a good score, but you can make it really tough to get in with a bad score.
aim for at least 85%ile if you are aiming for something that won't hurt you. but that kind of thinking is for after the test, not before. if the scoring system hasn't changed that should be like 220s

and if the residency program doesn't ask you, it is because they have already peaked and decided your score was high enough to not eliminate you.

this is a hard question to answer, but i agree with jjackis, nobody has mentioned step 1 yet (altho it is important in the screening process of whether or not you get an interview). for internal med, the only number i've seen published is Mayo, which says they consider 220 a competitive score for granting interviews (nobody else has anything in print that i've come across and to be honest, i haven't asked about it on the interview trail). like smackdaddy said, just do your best on it, but don't stress out trying to make a 250