Step I Exam Taking tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Preintel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who recently took the step I exam at a prometric center can you give me any tips or advice?

Did you skip the tutorial to get an extra 15 min break, were you able to select the break format or did they automatically give you 3 blocks of questions followed by a 45 min break then 4 blocks?

Any tips on what energy foods I should bring, is coffee/drinks allowed in the break room?

How did you manage to stay engaged towards the end.

Lastly what did you bring with you to the exam aside from photo ID and schedule permit?

Thanks =)

Members don't see this ad.

For those who recently took the step I exam at a prometric center can you give me any tips or advice?

Did you skip the tutorial to get an extra 15 min break, were you able to select the break format or did they automatically give you 3 blocks of questions followed by a 45 min break then 4 blocks?

Any tips on what energy foods I should bring, is coffee/drinks allowed in the break room?

How did you manage to stay engaged towards the end.

Lastly what did you bring with you to the exam aside from photo ID and schedule permit?

Thanks =)
I skipped the tutorial as well as the first break and did back to back blocks to start. Took like 10-15 minutes break between the rest of the 5 blocks. Popped a caffeine pill in the AM so I wouldn't have to use the bathroom frequently. During each break I hit the restroom, downed half a Cliff bar and pounded some water. Keeping a steady pace kept me engaged. Only brought a water bottle, a few Cliff bars, my ID and permit. Going to sleep early the night before is the best advice I can give.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks that helped, I will probably take a few energy bars also but I want to take something with electrolytes than just water