Step one score. Am I screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uwish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got a 228 on Step 1. Really bummed about it :giggle: I'm working on my Phd at a state school. I feel hopeless, like there is no chance to get a decent md/phd residency at a good school. I was interested in neuro but still not sure since I haven't started my clinical years. Any words of wisdom for me? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No you are not screwed up. Radio-oncology, plastics, ortho, and dermatology are out, but there are many specialties where you could be ok. You are likely needing to take your Step 2 and get a 250+. You are still able to compete for Pathology, IM, Peds, Neurology, at very good institutions. Publish a lot, get a training grant, and do well for the rest. Things will work out.

Reactions: 1 user
No you are not screwed up. Radio-oncology, plastics, ortho, and dermatology are out, but there are many specialties where you could be ok. You are likely needing to take your Step 2 and get a 250+. You are still able to compete for Pathology, IM, Peds, Neurology, at very good institutions. Publish a lot, get a training grant, and do well for the rest. Things will work out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Fencer. Trying to stay positive and take the long view. I studied like a madman and was very shocked by the score. Anyone else care to weigh in. Perhaps someone who had a similar issue and had things go well?

Scores are tough but I've heard if you're at the average and you have everything else that Fencer said you should be fine. Just make sure you maximize the opportunities you have.

Neuro isn't very competitive, so if the rest of your application is strong you can still match to a strong academic program especially if you're not that picky about location.

Other residency types vary, but a 228 isn't that bad. It'll cut you off at a lot of competitive residency programs in competitive specialties, but you could still potentially get almost any specialty you want if the rest of your application is solid and you build connections in that specialty.

Don't be hopeless.

Thanks to all of you. I'm feeling better and will keep working and grab any opportunity that comes my way to bolster my application.

Whoa, settle down. There's nothing wrong with that step score, depending on what your career goals are. If your goal is to do derm at a top place and do no research, things will be tough for you. If your goal is to be a physician scientist and run a lab, landing a research-based residency (like IM, path, etc), then you're doing fine. Your application to those will be weighed far heavier on your research goals and accomplishments, and really step 1 scores will be judged by passing some minimum threshold (which was as low as 200 when I applied to residency).