Step up to medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonE

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any tips on how to effectively use this book? i started reading through the chapters and i dont think im actually retaining any of the info

Members don't see this ad.

Great book but very dense

Last edited:
Its a great book but very dense. I would try reading 5-10 pages a day during clerkships and try to make multiple passes through it during your clinical year. Consider annotating from other resources if you find some pearls. SUTM was my core resource for my medicine and surgery shelf exams as well as USMLE Step 2 (along with UWorld).

do questions on the shelf/step2 focus on diagnosis and treatment? example: recognize a disease from the question stem then answer a question about diagnosis and treatment

Members don't see this ad :)
They tend to focus primarily on diagnosis, pathophysiology, less so on management/treatment (which is more Step 3 oriented I believe). Try looking at the sample NBME questions online.

I tried to read it but could never get past a few pages at a time.

I did Uworld questions instead, and would use the book as a reference if I needed it.

any tips on how to effectively use this book? i started reading through the chapters and i dont think im actually retaining any of the info

For both the clerkship and Step 2, I used the book in conjunction with UWorld and MKSAP for Students. I read the entire book, highlighting and writing in my own notes from UWorld/lectures. I reread it once for Step 2. Worked pretty well for me.