Steps Toward Being a Managed Care Pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OSU2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still relatively early in pharm school, but for those of you who are pharmacists in managed care, what steps do you recommend?

What sort of activities or clubs will set me apart from those who are interested?

Or should I do something even more specialized than managed care, like nuclear or compounding?

Members don't see this ad.

I am in managed care pharmacy. I worked retail and hospital before I was given an opportunity to become a Prior Authorization and have moved up from there to developing PA criteria and managing clients. Most managed care pharmacies are located around each other in Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Florida, and Midwest. I am not aware of an intern positions in a managed care pharmacy that are paid and I am currently trying to get a intern through Arizona schools up and running with my company.
You need to determine what interests you. Managed Care has always interested me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in managed care pharmacy. I worked retail and hospital before I was given an opportunity to become a Prior Authorization and have moved up from there to developing PA criteria and managing clients. Most managed care pharmacies are located around each other in Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Florida, and Midwest. I am not aware of an intern positions in a managed care pharmacy that are paid and I am currently trying to get a intern through Arizona schools up and running with my company.
You need to determine what interests you. Managed Care has always interested me.
Thanks for the reply.

What steps would you advise me to do besides getting an internship? Anything I should really focus on while I'm in school? Any extra classes I should take?

Join AMCP. Get involved, as stated above. Read up on the various topics such as what is managed care. If your school doesn't have a chapter, start one.

See if your school has a managed care rotation and do it your APPE year. No extra classes, unless you have a business/personal finance elective (may be helpful for managed care - will be helpful overall).

Do a project with a managed care pharmacist or a pharmacoeconomic analyst/professor.

Look into managed care residencies and apply/get accepted.

Reactions: 1 user