Stethoscope for vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TomTheK9Fixr

Univ. of Minn '15
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking to invest in a stethoscope as I enter vet school. I've always used my hospital's stethoscopes which are Littmann classics like this. I found them to suffice for taking vitals and listening for fluid overload, however, I'll now be listening for subtle heart sounds and what not so I am looking for feedback from current students. A couple of internist I work with told me to invest in the Littmann master cardiology, but they're internist and I am worried it might be overkill as a vet student.

Anywho, lemme know what y'all think. Btw- Amazon prices are consistently lower than any other place. Do NOT buy a stethoscope from the bookstore as you'll be paying a huge premium.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking to invest in a stethoscope as I enter vet school. I've always used my hospital's stethoscopes which are Littmann classics like this. I found them to suffice for taking vitals and listening for fluid overload, however, I'll now be listening for subtle heart sounds and what not so I am looking for feedback from current students. A couple of internist I work with told me to invest in the Littmann master cardiology, but they're internist and I am worried it might be overkill as a vet student.

Anywho, lemme know what y'all think. Btw- Amazon prices are consistently lower than any other place. Do NOT buy a stethoscope from the bookstore as you'll be paying a huge premium.

Thanks in advance

Minnesota Veterinary Student Supply (VSS) will send you a list of required materials and stethoscope recommendations in a few months. I would wait until then to make an investment!

I got the Littman Cardiology 3 from medisave and love it so far! They had it engraved and ready to ship within an hour of me placing the order- I was amazed!

I have a Littmann Classic, which I bought after being assured by upperclassmen that it's fine. I haven't had too much to auscultate other than a few practice dogs, but I like it so far. And it was certainly more wallet-friendly than some of the other options!

i have the welch-allyn harvey elite. it was a joint gift from all the vets i used to work with so i don't know how much it costs (quick google search puts it in the $175 range), but i absolutely love it. it has a dual head and came with several different diaphragms so you can change it to use whichever you like best in terms of sound. i would say 95% of my classmates have the littman cardio III, so i like that mine is different!

I feel like a broken record:

FYI:
I was told that engraving would VOID the littman warranty. The pressure needed to hold it the stethoscope head in a vice to engrave it can hurt it.

FYI:
I was told that engraving would VOID the littman warranty. The pressure needed to hold it the stethoscope head in a vice to engrave it can hurt it.

FWIW, I'd encourage you to continue feeling like a broken record. This forum naturally cycles, I suspect, with new folks (like me) constantly coming in every year and needing to hear the same things you told last year's crop.

FYI:

This was resolved last year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=715321&highlight=littman

While it could be damaged in the engraving process, the fact that it is engraved doesn't automatically void the warranty.

"Originally Posted by http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3M/en_AU/Littmann/stethoscope/service-support/service-repair/
Warranty Period
Your Littmann stethoscope comes with the finest service and warranty policy in the industry. If a material or manufacturing defect is discovered during the warranty period, repairs will be done at no charge, except in the cases of obvious abuse or accidental damage. The warranty period will remain in tact if the stethoscope has been engraved providing the stethoscope has not been damaged from the engraving process. The binaural (tubing) must not be removed during the engraving process as this can cause damage, nor should the stethoscope be immersed in water at any time."

Oh yeah, one idea that I really liked instead of engraving the steth itself was to engrave a dog tag and attach it to the stethescope. I feel like it could even be more easily identified that way.

Oh yeah, one idea that I really liked instead of engraving the steth itself was to engrave a dog tag and attach it to the stethescope. I feel like it could even be more easily identified that way.

I LOVE the engraving on the head of my stethoscope (it was done with a laser, which is the preferred method and looks really nice). Mine's a pretty distinctive color but I'll probably end up getting a tag for it as well, just to make sure it doesnt walk off.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's what I meant. :)

I forgot to add, one of mine is engraved as well. I had found this out after I had it engraved when I was out picking up a pediatric one.

I got it engraved since my first one had walked off on me at work (as a medic). But that one turned up again, so I have three. You can never have too many. :cool:

This was resolved last year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=715321&highlight=littman

While it could be damaged in the engraving process, the fact that it is engraved doesn't automatically void the warranty.

"Originally Posted by http://solutions.3m.com.au/wps/portal/3M/en_AU/Littmann/stethoscope/service-support/service-repair/
Warranty Period
Your Littmann stethoscope comes with the finest service and warranty policy in the industry. If a material or manufacturing defect is discovered during the warranty period, repairs will be done at no charge, except in the cases of obvious abuse or accidental damage. The warranty period will remain in tact if the stethoscope has been engraved providing the stethoscope has not been damaged from the engraving process. The binaural (tubing) must not be removed during the engraving process as this can cause damage, nor should the stethoscope be immersed in water at any time."

But that one turned up again, so I have three. You can never have too many. :cool:

Hahaha that is true! One of the vets I shadow has at least 8 in his one doctor, one receptionist, three assistant SA practice.

Anywho, I got the Littman Lightweight II my SO got for his EMT training after he got a new (more expensive) one when he started med school. I'm sure it'll be fine for now as it sits on my dresser :laugh: I'm also sure I'll upgrade if I get in.

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between some models of stethoscopes? I was looking at the Littmann master classic II and the Cardiology III was mentioned here. Is there a difference in the technology, in convenience of use, in weight, etc?

Anyone have another particular model they love?

Edit, This link seems to be good: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=715321&highlight=stethoscope

But if anyone also has an opinion to share or personal experience I'd love to hear it!

Last edited:

Dog tags are removable and people are crappy. Get the stethescope itself engraved. It's sad to say, but stuff getting stolen(even in vet school) happens somewhat frequently.

Would it be weird to get DVM engraved after your name if you're only in vet school? Do people just get their name and add DVM on after they graduate? I was going to get my name and DVM but my friends were like "too soon."

Last edited:
I got a Littman Classic II S.E. as a gift when I started vet school... now, five years after graduating, I'm still using it with no complaints. I occasionally debate upgrading to a Cardiology III, but don't really know that the increased sensitivity would make a significant difference in general practice.

I never had mine engraved. I intended to, but instead just use a little handwritten sticker over the nameplate part. It works. I'm cheap like that :)

Would it be weird to get DVM engraved after your name if you're only in vet school? Do people just get their name and add DVM on after they graduate? I was going to get my name and DVM but my friends were like "too soon."
Don't do that. Your friends are right.

Don't do it.

My first stethoscope was a Littman Classic two, which has the two heads. It was/is a nice stethoscope and is of average quality.

My second stethoscope is a Littman Master classic which has both bells built into the one, so no switching needed. When I got it and was auscultating blood pressures on people and listening to lung sounds I was amazed at how much more I could hear. One exception though, it did pick up road noise more.

My thoughts: Either get an average stethoscope going into vet school or wait and try out other peoples. Chances are you will pick up on features that you like that someone else doesn't.

For example:
- if you wanted to do large animal you might appreciate longer tubing but you won't want that extra if you do small animal.
- you might want a cardiology stethoscope to only discover that you find it heavy to carry around and find it's too sensitive.

If you have a stethoscope that's too sensitive I find that you will pick up bowel sounds in the chest, or be unable to differentiate where the wheeze is coming from.

When you do get a stethoscope most definately get the soft ear tips.

I've been using the Littman Lightweight for years and it has worked fine. When I got accepted into school I ordered myself a Littman Master Cardiology All Black with my name lasered onto the tubing. It is sexy as can be and it sounds amazing. I plan on getting a Littman Pediatric one as well later on down the line. As I side note, I work in ER/CC/Specialty medicine now so a good stethoscope is a must

I have a littman master cardiology II, but part of the reason I chose this option is that I do not have great hearing, and a couple of human med reviews noted it as being the loudest (2 years ago) of the options I was considering. It does pick up a lot more 'noise' than my friend's stethoscopes, but I just learned to focus on what I needed to hear. I have used my friends (and I have a teaching stethoscope....2 earpieces) and I can't hear as well. I also like the smaller head and pediatric adaptor which has worked on fine on the special species I work with a lot.

I did get mine from medisave, laser engraved. I consider it a long term investment, but if you aren't as confident about what you want or need, consider going cheaper and getting a better one at graduation (graduation gift?)

I have a Littman Master Classic II Veterinary Stethescope.

It was a Christmas present a few years back. It is durable and works wonderfully. I like the longer tubing as I can easily reach under a deep-chested dog rather than standing on my tip-toes to reach the other side.

Just some input after talking to the vet i work for, she suggested the Littman Cardiology but said any Littman was good (she used to have the classic and said in general practice there's no huge benefit to the upgrade) but her two tips were: get a pediatric one - its helped her immensely with smaller patients and she can still use it on large animal cases as well, and make sure the ear phones fit right for you - she said its one of the biggest differences if you can block out extraneous noise.

make sure the ear phones fit right for you - she said its one of the biggest differences if you can block out extraneous noise.

This was something I hadn't even considered. I've yet to meet a set of in-ear headphones that fit... I have small, kind of oddly-shaped ears, and I don't know how that might impact things. Do most schools generally have models on hand that one can test drive?

Just get the soft tips from littman. They are partially hollow and mold to your ear. You can hear well with them if placed in your ear properly and they are comfortable. The hard tips just hurt.

I believe all littman stethoscopes come with both tips as standard.

I know I'm kind of bringing this thread back from the dead, but I wanted to bring it back up. What's the difference between 1 and 2 heads on a stethoscope? What are some benefits to both, and maybe some cons?

I know I'm kind of bringing this thread back from the dead, but I wanted to bring it back up. What's the difference between 1 and 2 heads on a stethoscope? What are some benefits to both, and maybe some cons?

Hmm I have a nice Prestige Clinical I with dual heads that I use. One head is a diaphragm and the other is a bell, both are interchangeable with smaller bells and diaphragms. I believe the bell is good for low frequency sounds and lung auscultation while the diaphragm side is good for higher frequency sounds and heart auscultation. To me the dual heads are very handy but a bit heavy though.

Single headed steths are lighter, have a wider frequency range, and are said to sound much cleaner. I have yet to experience a single head steth but look forward to tring one.

If I remember correctly the chest piece material plays a good role in sound quality as well, stainless steel compared with aluminum, the better the metal the better the sound. =)

Lol although I maybe completely off my rocker with all of this. :p

Thanks in advance

The Welch-Allyn line has been shown OBJECTIVELY to have better acoustics than the Littman and others through all sorts of scientific measurements. But let's face it...it's what's between the ears that counts.