Stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think I will hang it in my future office, kind of a "Ghost of Clinical Medicine Past"-esque rememberance of my hatred of rounding for 8 hours post call. Either that or I'll sell it on eBay. yeah, thats the ticket.

Give it to me so I don't have to buy one!!!!!!!

I just thought of a hilarious troll thread idea. Sadly, it's really a question that popped into my mind.

"Do stethoscopes come in bigger sizes for people with really big heads?" :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
gave mine to roommate. as an anesthesiologist, i think he'll need it more than i ever will.

1. he has one but it sucked and then to top it off, he lost it.
2. no, he has 2 ears.
3. i gave my steth to him cuz i was feeling generous that day...oh the other part of the deal was that he buy me sushi.

AndyMilonakis said:
1. he has one but it sucked and then to top it off, he lost it.
2. no, he has 2 ears.
My brain read that as "he sucked ears" :laugh:

I wonder if one's previously-honed skill at detecting bibasilar creps decreases with decreasing exposure.

deschutes said:
My brain read that as "he sucked ears" :laugh:
interesting
I wonder if one's previously-honed skill at detecting bibasilar creps decreases with decreasing exposure.
oh, you must be studying for step 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
well seeing how you are interpreting my already said comments, i'm glad i left out the part about him owning a 4-assed kitten for a pet.

deschutes said:
What did you - or will you - do with them? :idea:
My dog ate mine. Literally. Looked down and there it was, all over the floor in little bits.

A fitting end for it, I'd say.

Mine is somewhere in a bag somewhere in a closet. Every now and then I will probably pull it out to check if I have a heart murmur.

yaah said:
Mine is somewhere in a bag somewhere in a closet. Every now and then I will probably pull it out to check if I have a heart murmur.

I do this too. :laugh: Not that I would be able to tell if I had a heart murmur or not.

If I had a murmur, I wouldn't hear it because I wouldn't wanna hear it and I would convince myself that it wasn't there.

I am the opposite. I keep listening, and eventually start to hear something faint. I can't convince myself it is anymore than I/VI though, and probably just normal flow I am picking up. Or I'm imagining things. I can also split my S2.

I 've got mine hanging on my thermostat as decoration:

stethoscope.jpg

Yeah...they're the one-sided ones. Bell and diaphragm on the same side. One can switch from one mode to another by pressing firmly or pressing lightly.

It's a load of crap. Whenever I needed to hear low frequency heart sounds, I would just borrow one of the normal two-sided stethoscopes.

I've heard an S4 only 3 times in my life. Never heard an S3...and I never will.

AndyMilonakis said:
I've heard an S4 only 3 times in my life. Never heard an S3...and I never will.
They kept talking about a gallop on Thursday. I listened during walk-rounds and went back and listened again later in the afternoon. Heard an odd S1, but no gallop.

Heard a very cool squeak (my own invented term - and the resident couldn't disagree) on a lady with RHF and edema NYD.

Wow, you keep your place pretty warm! If you looked at mine when I was here by myself it would probably be at 63 - 65. If others are over I turn it up as a preemptive measure for the inevitable complaints.

yaah said:
Wow, you keep your place pretty warm! If you looked at mine when I was here by myself it would probably be at 63 - 65. If others are over I turn it up as a preemptive measure for the inevitable complaints.
well maybe he's hypothyroid. you should donate some of your T4 to him.

I usually keep it 70-75. I like sitting around in T-shirts and boxers when no one is around, even when its -10 outside. Hope that wasn't TMI.

Jeezus, 62-65 is fricking cold dude.

yaah said:
Sometimes I turn the heat up when I am really hungry or tired and get cold.
I'm really stahvin right now and it's cold outside. I am upset.

yaah said:
People who complain about that need to wear more clothes. :laugh:

Are you bring over half naked women again, yaah?

Whisker Barrel Cortex said:
I usually keep it 70-75. I like sitting around in T-shirts and boxers when no one is around, even when its -10 outside. Hope that wasn't TMI.

Jeezus, 62-65 is fricking cold dude.
I agree with all of the above :cool: I was in a 62-65 house recently. I wanted to wrap myself in fleece and never come out again. I could have sworn it was warmer outside.

bananaface said:
TMI? In path? :laugh: :clap: :laugh: :clap: :laugh: :clap:

Good one.

I am just a radiologist visiting this foreign land you call pathology. I do not yet know your ways and customs.

You know, I actually thought the name was whiskey barrel cortex, not whisker. Interesting how my scanning way of reading can sometimes fail me.

Other options that should be entertained are:

Baby Green
Classic Brown
Nut-n-Corn Crunch

(can anyone name the reference?)