stethoscopes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nrddct

carlover
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting going all out and getting the $100+ dollar ones? Whats the difference between the brands?

Members don't see this ad.

inexpensive Littman works fine, i've used mine for 10+ years & no problems.

nrddct said:
Is it worth getting going all out and getting the $100+ dollar ones? Whats the difference between the brands?

do we have to buy one in your first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't buy one until you get to school. SOme schools give them to you free. At the very least there will be a group discount available to save money. The same goes for most equipment.

This is just my opinion, but I would go with a good stethoscope when you're first starting off then as you get farther into your career and you have sharpened your skills you can use pretty much any stethoscope. You want to the best quality when your first looking for murmurs and what not. Once you are familiar with them and know what they should sound like you can hear it on pretty much any stethoscope. But when first starting out I would get the highest sound quality stethoscope you can afford.

Me I started out with a standerd one the school had us buy. I wasn't able to recognize anythign with it and eventually replaced it with a Littman C3.

nrddct said:

Littman Cardiology III

or

DRG Pure Tone Cardiology

You will need a Bell & Diaphragm with an interchangeable pediatric diaphragm.

The cheap stethoscopes like the Litmann SE II or Classic is for nurses that take blood pressure or paramedics that listen to breath sounds.

You need something more for auscultating murmurs.

OSUdoc08 said:
Littman Cardiology III

or

DRG Pure Tone Cardiology

You will need a Bell & Diaphragm with an interchangeable pediatric diaphragm.

The cheap stethoscopes like the Litmann SE II or Classic is for nurses that take blood pressure or paramedics that listen to breath sounds.

You need something more for auscultating murmurs.

+1

I've owned both the Littmann Cardiology III and the DRG PureTone "TiLite" Cardiology and they are both outstanding instruments.