Sticky Situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheWalterWhite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.78

Pretty solid ECs and LORs

Just received my MCAT today with a score of 24. Terrible . But thats what i get for not taking enough practice exams etc.

I have already sent out my primaries in July. I was waiting for this score to send out secondaries today.

My question is should I send my apps out with it saying "Planning to take in January" or not?

I fear that schools will just say oh lets see his january score, or just reject me.

Thoughts, and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends if you feel like waiting or not. A buddy of mine got a 24, said he was retaking in January, and pretty much every school said they'd revisit his app then. I think if you score well you still have a shot of getting in this cycle, but if you have the time to take a year off it may be in your best interest.

Or you can roll the dice with the 24. I think you could get in somewhere, but if you have your sights set on some of the schools with higher averages you may be out of luck. One thing I've learned tho, it's a total crap shoot and you really can't say one way or another what will happen.

Crap, i dont know what to do. I am dead set on applying this year and am already taking a year off. However, I just dont know whether to inform them about the january mcat.

I think I should inform them but realistically no DO school would accept me right now, if they think I can do better right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would not list that you are retaking. I don't know what schools you're applying to, but your GPAs are great and I trust that your ECs are great. Many schools have their averages at 24. I would apply with the score you have now... Because they WILL postpone looking at your app until they have the new score. If they wait list you or you haven't heard from them, then take the MCAT in January and then report that you're retaking. I still think you're competitive at a lot of DO schools with a 24.

GPA: 3.66
sGPA: 3.78

Pretty solid ECs and LORs

Just received my MCAT today with a score of 24. Terrible . But thats what i get for not taking enough practice exams etc.

I have already sent out my primaries in July. I was waiting for this score to send out secondaries today.

My question is should I send my apps out with it saying "Planning to take in January" or not?

I fear that schools will just say oh lets see his january score, or just reject me.

Thoughts, and advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Someone I know got into a DO with a 3.6/24. Give it a shot.

Seems like a bad plan to start submitting secondaries mid October with a 24 on the MCAT.

Don't submit your app, retake the MCAT in April/May and study from Jan till your test to score well. Have everything ready to roll day one and by this time next year, pending a 3+ point improvement on the MCAT and some decent interviewing skills, you may have an acceptance.

I decided to take the MCAT before taking 3 or 4 classes covered on it, wanting to get in asap and not wait around a year. I got a 24, have a similar gpa, and things have been fine this cycle. I did however apply early, and have a well rounded app. If you don't want to wait around I'd say go for it. The possible money lost is worth being a doctor a year sooner (if there are schools you'd be happy attending). I have a few acceptances, and have received interview invites to some "more established" schools such as Western and KCUMB in addition to newer schools. Unless you have a lot of confidence that your MCAT will be higher, I would apply now.