Sticky siuation: Should I use my gap year to bring up my g.p.a. or work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clutch100

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received my undergraduate degree. My plan was to begin at an SMP this coming August, but unfortunately I didn't apply to any SMPs or post-baccs, as I'm using this summer to re-take the MCAT. My current GPA is a 3.29c 3.13s, with 144 total hours (some of my credits from research didn't go towards my degree, as well as re-taking two classes).

I'm planning on applying to SMPS and post-bacs for Fall 2017. Should I use this coming year to bring up my GPA (with 144 hours already) or work in a medical setting (such as a scribe or medical transport)? Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm very torn on what I should be doing to increase my chances of being accepted to medical school in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your current MCAT and what have you been getting on practice tests?

My current MCAT is a 503, I'm scheduled to take the MCAT again on August 5. I took my first practice exam (since taking the MCAT) yesterday through EK and scored 70% correct.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received my undergraduate degree. My plan was to begin at an SMP this coming August, but unfortunately I didn't apply to any SMPs or post-baccs, as I'm using this summer to re-take the MCAT. My current GPA is a 3.29c 3.13s, with 144 total hours (some of my credits from research didn't go towards my degree, as well as re-taking two classes).

I'm planning on applying to SMPS and post-bacs for Fall 2017. Should I use this coming year to bring up my GPA (with 144 hours already) or work in a medical setting (such as a scribe or medical transport)? Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm very torn on what I should be doing to increase my chances of being accepted to medical school in the future.
Why not both? Scribe jobs often have very flexible schedules, and it may help you pay for the classes.

I'm biased, though, as "take classes, MCAT, and get clinical experience as a scribe" describes my 2 gap years in a nutshell, and I started in an even worse place than you are (lower cgpa, similar sgpa, zero clinical experience). For what it's worth, starting from your gpa, you can get yourself application-ready without an SMP or formal postbacc by doing exactly that...it's hard work, though.

Concrete advice: if you are going to take a couple of years to fix your gpa and/or gain clinical experience...don't take the MCAT now. Take it closer to when you plan to apply, so you don't waste a year or more of MCAT score viability taking undergrad courses. With a low gpa, you may end up having to go through 2 cycles, or taking a break between cycles, or doing a 2yr program to get application-ready. Why risk having to retake because it expired?

Reactions: 1 users
My current MCAT is a 503, I'm scheduled to take the MCAT again on August 5. I took my first practice exam (since taking the MCAT) yesterday through EK and scored 70% correct.

Unless you get above a 510+ I would put effort into grade replacement for DO. SMPs can be beneficial but usually the ones who are successful in securing MD accepts have GPAs like yours but fairly high MCAT scores, like 515 range. If you really are boning for the MD then you need to significantly improve on your MCAT retake.

Reactions: 2 users
Why not both? Scribe jobs often have very flexible schedules, and it may help you pay for the classes.

I'm biased, though, as "take classes, MCAT, and get clinical experience as a scribe" describes my 2 gap years in a nutshell, and I started in an even worse place than you are (lower cgpa, similar sgpa, zero clinical experience). For what it's worth, starting from your gpa, you can get yourself application-ready without an SMP or formal postbacc by doing exactly that...it's hard work, though.

Concrete advice: if you are going to take a couple of years to fix your gpa and/or gain clinical experience...don't take the MCAT now. Take it closer to when you plan to apply, so you don't waste a year or more of MCAT score viability taking undergrad courses. With a low gpa, you may end up having to go through 2 cycles, or taking a break between cycles, or doing a 2yr program to get application-ready. Why risk having to retake because it expired?
Thank you for the advice, do you think I should try to re-take previous classes or take new classes in hopes of raising my gpa? With 144 hours already finished, I'm not sure how much I can improve my undergrad gpa. Also, would you suggest against taking the MCAT this August in order to apply for SMPS (assuming I scored 509+)?

Unless you get above a 510+ I would put effort into grade replacement for DO. SMPs can be beneficial but usually the ones who are successful in securing MD accepts have GPAs like yours but fairly high MCAT scores, like 515 range. If you really are boning for the MD then you need to significantly improve on your MCAT retake.
Thanks for the advice, assuming I was able to score 510 or above on the MCAT, do you think applying for SMPS this August would give me the best shot for MD?

Thank you for the advice, do you think I should try to re-take previous classes or take new classes in hopes of raising my gpa? With 144 hours already finished, I'm not sure how much I can improve my undergrad gpa. Also, would you suggest against taking the MCAT this August in order to apply for SMPS (assuming I scored 509+)?
You can improve your gpa, but more importantly you can demonstrate that you are a good student now, which can help compensate for a lower cumulative gpa. Schools notice trends like that. I had as many, if not more, credit hours before beginning my postbacc.

If you want to apply to SMPs, go ahead and take the MCAT. I just don't think you need an SMP and tend to consider them best avoided until all other options are exhausted.

As for which classes to take...if you're going to apply DO, retake. If you're set on MD, take new, upper-level sciences. It's not very impressive to get a bunch of As in intro classes you've already taken; far better to rock out 300 level courses you've never seen!

Reactions: 1 user
You can improve your gpa, but more importantly you can demonstrate that you are a good student now, which can help compensate for a lower cumulative gpa. Schools notice trends like that. I had as many, if not more, credit hours before beginning my postbacc.

If you want to apply to SMPs, go ahead and take the MCAT. I just don't think you need an SMP and tend to consider them best avoided until all other options are exhausted.

As for which classes to take...if you're going to apply DO, retake. If you're set on MD, take new, upper-level sciences. It's not very impressive to get a bunch of As in intro classes you've already taken; far better to rock out 300 level courses you've never seen!
Thanks again, my plan right now is set out to take more upper-level sciences. I just had one last question, do you think I should take upper-level sciences by going for another degree, or should I sign up for classes that will pertain to the medical field but won't specifically go towards another degree?

Thanks again, my plan right now is set out to take more upper-level sciences. I just had one last question, do you think I should take upper-level sciences by going for another degree, or should I sign up for classes that will pertain to the medical field but won't specifically go towards another degree?
It doesn't matter.
If you can get better financial aid or cheaper classes by going for another degree, or you are interested in that subject, go for it. More often than not, though, it costs more that way.
I took upper-level classes that pertained to medicine a la carte for my postbacc and it worked out great...they were also useful during my clinical jobs.

Basically, whatever works best for you.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, I am in a similar situation as you and although you can't increase your GPA too much with more classes because of how many credit hours you've already taken, some schools will look at the upward trend if you perform well in upper-level science classes and also improve your science GPA (which you can just take at any 4-year university as a visiting or non-degree seeking student). But if you are burnt out of undergrad classes, I would say work on MCAT score and apply for an SMP associated with a medical school so you can have a graduate GPA, which if you do well will be significantly higher than you undergrad (which, unless you take a lot of classes, is kind of set in stone).

OP, I am in a similar situation as you and although you can't increase your GPA too much with more classes because of how many credit hours you've already taken, some schools will look at the upward trend if you perform well in upper-level science classes and also improve your science GPA (which you can just take at any 4-year university as a visiting or non-degree seeking student). But if you are burnt out of undergrad classes, I would say work on MCAT score and apply for an SMP associated with a medical school so you can have a graduate GPA, which if you do well will be significantly higher than you undergrad (which, unless you take a lot of classes, is kind of set in stone).
Thanks for the advice, just to make sure, you think I should take more non-degree undergrad courses over applying for SMPs next year? Even if I showed an upward trend with 1-2 years of full courses, would the trend make up for my low g.p.a. (assuming my E.C.s are on par and a 509+ MCAT) for me to be competitive without having to do an SMP? Or do you think the SMP/post-bacc route is inevitable? Thanks again for the help.

Thanks for the advice, just to make sure, you think I should take more non-degree undergrad courses over applying for SMPs next year? Even if I showed an upward trend with 1-2 years of full courses, would the trend make up for my low g.p.a. (assuming my E.C.s are on par and a 509+ MCAT) for me to be competitive without having to do an SMP? Or do you think the SMP/post-bacc route is inevitable? Thanks again for the help.
A good MCAT, trend, and narrative can garner success even with your gpa. I was even worse off and got in after a DIY postbacc.