"Still Here"/Interest Letters pre-II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arcticNE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleting old posts for anonymity, sorry!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been fortunate enough to receive a few IIs, but still waiting to hear from many top choices despite being complete in late August (all secondaries in first week of July, but committee doesn't send letters until the end of the summer). Is there any value in expressing my continued interest in a couple of the remaining schools with a short letter? I don't have any substantive updates that weren't already reported in my secondaries, so this would literally just be a statement of interest. With most schools receiving many more applications than last year, I figure having to pull up my file again as a result of the letter couldn't hurt, right?
Many schools do not want pre-interview communications of this type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, @gyngyn. I assumed most schools would ignore the letter if I wasn't actually providing a notable update on my candidacy.
If you're lucky!
Schools have become sensitized to how special some applicants are. This has caused us to view unrequested LOI's as a harbinger of things to come...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, now I'm confused. Did you mean to say "do not want" in your first post, @gyngyn? Why would they want them, but then the best possible outcome is that they get ignored?

Many schools do want pre-interview communications of this type.

I'm confused too. I thought it's pointless because of the whole non-binding contract argument from a desperate applicant.

Oh. So schools do want them, but only because it helps them rule out people rather than considering their interest?
Many schools do not want these LOI's.
People who send them (if they are not welcome) distinguish themselves in an adverse way.

Many schools do not want these LOI's.
People who send them (if they are not welcome) distinguish themselves in an adverse way.
Oh, okay. Your first post said that many DO want them, so I was confused. I get it now. Thanks!

Many schools do not want pre-interview communications of this type.

NOTE: If you are going to send a pre-II lettter, please use the following standardized format, instead of everyone having to construct their own:

Dear _________ Medical School admissions committee:

My outstanding application has undoubtedly been misplaced. Please retrieve it and inform me of my interview date. I am standing by.

Sincerely,

_________

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lordy. I can't imagine that a simple, polite letter reiterating the reasons why you applied to the school could seriously hurt your application. It IS possible to be humble in an interest letter, no? Something along the lines of "I look forward to hearing back from you regarding my application."

Full disclosure: I recently noticed that a newish (~2-3 years old) institute that I would love to work at is affiliated with a school I have yet to hear back from. If I had made this connection earlier, it would have led my "why X" secondary essay. So, I'm considering sending an interest letter mentioning my continued interest, especially given the affiliation with the institute.

Does a paper getting accepted for publication warrant a significant update pre-II?

Lordy. I can't imagine that a simple, polite letter reiterating the reasons why you applied to the school could seriously hurt your application. It IS possible to be humble in an interest letter, no? Something along the lines of "I look forward to hearing back from you regarding my application."

Full disclosure: I recently noticed that a newish (~2-3 years old) institute that I would love to work at is affiliated with a school I have yet to hear back from. If I had made this connection earlier, it would have led my "why X" secondary essay. So, I'm considering sending an interest letter mentioning my continued interest, especially given the affiliation with the institute.
This may be a regional issue, but I can assure you that the number of applicants that keep reminding us how special they are increases every year in spite of every effort to discourage it.

How else would you interpret a non-binding contract from a desperate applicant?

I've been fortunate enough to receive a few IIs, but still waiting to hear from many top choices despite being complete in late August (all secondaries in first week of July, but committee doesn't send letters until the end of the summer). Is there any value in expressing my continued interest in a couple of the remaining schools with a short letter? I don't have any substantive updates that weren't already reported in my secondaries, so this would literally just be a statement of interest. With most schools receiving many more applications than last year, I figure having to pull up my file again as a result of the letter couldn't hurt, right?

This may be a regional issue, but I can assure you that the number of applicants that keep reminding us how special they are increases every year in spite of every effort to discourage it.

Because people on SDN and mdapps keep telling future applicants things like "be proactive", "it can't hurt your chances", "I got an II in January two weeks after sending in an update", etc. Make a large banner on the secondary submission form saying not to send in updates and send reprimanding replies to those who still do. I'm sure the word will get out fast to leave you guys alone.

I do see the utility in LOIs for higher stat applicants who really want to interview at a lower tier school that may be reluctant to damage their yield.

Because people on SDN and mdapps keep telling future applicants things like "be proactive", "it can't hurt your chances", "I got an II in January two weeks after sending in an update", etc. Make a large banner on the secondary submission form saying not to send in updates and send reprimanding replies to those who still do. I'm sure the word will get out fast to leave you guys alone..
Nothing seems to work (probably for the reasons you note) MSAR, website, AMCAS... we've tried them all.

Nothing seems to work (probably for the reasons you note) MSAR, website, AMCAS... we've tried them all.

Reply/forewarn on secondary with something along the lines of "Application file completion date will be reset to date of receipt of additional update materials or letters."

Bam, silence.

Reply/forewarn on secondary with something along the lines of "Application file completion date will be reset to date of receipt of additional update materials or letters."

Bam, silence.
We give them a strongly worded caution.
It does help us identify the ones we don't want, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm confused. Is it never a good idea to send these letters? Or is it just very difficult to write them without sounding arrogant?

In my case, I'm considering writing a letter pre-II about a specific topic in order to expand on (not reiterate) my reasons for applying to school X. If done politely, surely such a letter couldn't hurt, could it?

I'm confused. Is it never a good idea to send these letters? Or is it just very difficult to write them without sounding arrogant?

In my case, I'm considering writing a letter pre-II about a specific topic in order to expand on (not reiterate) my reasons for applying to school X. If done politely, surely such a letter couldn't hurt, could it?
If the school explicitly invites these things, have at it.
Many of us do not want them and can't seem to get anyone to stop sending them.
All we can do is place them in the "does not believe that instructions apply to me" file.

Reactions: 1 users
All we can do is place them in the "does not believe that instructions apply to me" file.

I would think it's common sense to check to see if schools are amenable to these letters first.

What if applicants sent in updates and received an II a few weeks after? I am considering sending an update to just one school because I've been complete for almost two months now and their interview season ends in December. I am in the lower end on the competitive scale in terms of stats for this school. I wanted to inform them I received a new job position as a research assistant at another medical school but for the research project will potentially collaborate with researchers at their school.

What if applicants sent in updates and received an II a few weeks after? I am considering sending an update to just one school because I've been complete for almost two months now and their interview season ends in December. I am in the lower end on the competitive scale in terms of stats for this school. I wanted to inform them I received a new job position as a research assistant at another medical school but for the research project will potentially collaborate with researchers at their school.

NYU I'd presume? honestly, if their interviews end in December and you feel like you're below average there anyway, what do you have to lose? I say go for it if you have something of value to add

The only school I've heard of that really encourages multiple updates (even pre-interview) is Creighton. It's mentioned on their portal and it was reiterated at their open house event.