stimuplex peripheral nerve stimulator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drpainfree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone using it for peripheral nerve block, RFA, etc?

I used it during anesthesia residency and private practice. Don't have one for my pain practice. Been using u/s mostly for peripheral nerve block, but sometimes it's hard to visualize small nerve. It would be nice to have a stimulator for confirmation.

If you're using one, can you share your experience, model, price? and needle cost? I saw in Trescot's new textbook, she hook the gator clips on the regular injection needles. Not the way we did in anesthesia, but save the cost of expensive needles, though. not sure how well it would stimulate?

Members don't see this ad.

i have one, really old, (? 8 years old).

used it initially, then realized that it wasnt really providing info that i really needed, and realized that almost all my injections were with primary sensory nerves. i use US, and when i RFA, just for my edification, i do a sensory stim before RFA. imo, i dont feel it is really worth getting a stimuplex.

I used to do a fair number of Stimuplex comparative blocks. I got the idea from an article
during fellowship where somebody noticed that if you did a blind caudal with a Stimuplex
you could verify epidural placement by the provocation of an anal wink. We did one and
sure enough we got the wink:) The Stimuplex needles slide right through an 18g discography
introducer and it's easy to position the Stimuplex to provoke a brisk - non-painful - paresthesia.
You can turn up the Stimuplex and get a massive myotomal twitch. The problem I found was that
patients couldn't reliably discern one twitch from the other in many cases.

If you use a Stimuplex to inject the C1/2 facet you'll see that the C2 root isn't exclusively sensory.
You often get strap muscle and high capital extensor twitches.

Reactions: 1 user