Stipends, Financial Awards , Financial Assistance ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LEM04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so I'm a little bit confused, I'm doing my BA in psychology & plan on going onto a MA in LMHC then maybe PhD in Clinical Psychology. I'm a little worried about the financial part of it i don't want to be paying off loans for years! So here's my question , Do you get considering for stipends or any financial assistance when you apply to graduate programs or do i have to do any especial process for it ?:idea:

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

PhD programs are often/usually funded. A handful of (university-based only) PsyD programs are funded. There are *very* few funded licensable masters programs.

So do I get considering for stipends when I apply or do I have to file a certain application?

Members don't see this ad :)
Most of the younger folks in my CMHC program had grad assistantships that provided a tuition waiver and a small stipend. They graduated with little debt. The entire cost of my 60 credit program was about 18 thousand. Most of us older folks paid out of pocket and had savings or partners to cover living expenses. I worked as a TA one semester which included working in a lab. After that experience, I decided I would rather pay my own way. Being at my local state school made it affordable.

I would not get a graduate degree that didn't offer some way to get a full tuition waiver. Debt can be crippling and limit future job options.

YMMV

ok so I'm a little bit confused, I'm doing my BA in psychology & plan on going onto a MA in LMHC then maybe PhD in Clinical Psychology.

If your end game is to get a Ph.D., then you should go directly for that and not the licensable MA/MS. It typically won't help your app very much, and it is an expensive 2-3 years to pursue. You are better served doing a couple of years as a research assistant and applying straight for a Ph.D. program. If you don't have any interest in research, then a Ph.D. is most likely not a good fit for you. You don't have to only like research, but it is a vital part of doctoral training.

In some programs, applicants must already have a MA before being accepted into a doctoral level program.

The reason I want to go into MA before PhD is because I know not all PhD programs accept students straight from undergrads & they're very competitive, I would really like to go straight to a PhD program i'll cut down 2-3 years of money and debt , is it really possible to to get into a PhD program as an undergrad if I begin to get some experience as an undergrad ? . I just wanted to get MA first also as a LMHC because it'll be easier to get a job after im done with my masters and as i continue with my PhD wouldn't it ?

The reason I want to go into MA before PhD is because I know not all PhD programs accept students straight from undergrads & they're very competitive, I would really like to go straight to a PhD program i'll cut down 2-3 years of money and debt , is it really possible to to get into a PhD program as an undergrad if I begin to get some experience as an undergrad ? . I just wanted to get MA first also as a LMHC because it'll be easier to get a job after im done with my masters and as i continue with my PhD wouldn't it ?

Depending on the program and the type of assistantship you receive, you may not even be allowed to work while completing your Ph.D. And if you are, as you've mentioned, I don't know that the pay you'd receive would offset the cost of a two-year MA/MS program (unless the master's program was also funded). Although don't get me wrong, a master's degree can definitely help in a variety of ways, one being that if you don't complete your Ph.D., you have a licensable degree to fall back on.

To answer your other question: yes, it is very much possible to get into a Ph.D. program without having a master's. I don't know the stats, but my gut instinct would say that's what happens in the (perhaps slim) majority of cases.

Depending on the program and the type of assistantship you receive, you may not even be allowed to work while completing your Ph.D. And if you are, as you've mentioned, I don't know that the pay you'd receive would offset the cost of a two-year MA/MS program (unless the master's program was also funded). Although don't get me wrong, a master's degree can definitely help in a variety of ways, one being that if you don't complete your Ph.D., you have a licensable degree to fall back on.

To answer your other question: yes, it is very much possible to get into a Ph.D. program without having a master's. I don't know the stats, but my gut instinct would say that's what happens in the (perhaps slim) majority of cases.
Thank you soo much I will definitely speak to my school mentor about how can I start getting experience now in my first year of my BA to be able to be eligible for a PhD , I do think going straight to my PhD program would be the right choice.