Stony Brook & Buffalo Dental School Interview Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryazdani

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum. I recently got invited to an interview at Stony Brook and Buffalo Dental school. I'm from NY, so both schools appeal to me, I wanted to know what your experience was at both schools when being interviewed there. I couldn't find much info on Stony Brook. Any tips or advice is highly appreciated!! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum. I recently got invited to an interview at Stony Brook and Buffalo Dental school. I'm from NY, so both schools appeal to me, I wanted to know what your experience was at both schools when being interviewed there. I couldn't find much info on Stony Brook. Any tips or advice is highly appreciated!! Thanks :)
Stats? I'm applying next cycle and want a shot at Buffalo

Buffalo was great. The people are beyond friendly. I thought the facilities were somewhat outdated when compared to Stony. I really got the "family" feel from Stony as the class size is so small.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo was great. The people are beyond friendly. I thought the facilities were somewhat outdated when compared to Stony. I really got the "family" feel from Stony as the class size is so small.
For sure squire hall needs an upgrade, which it will be receiving very soon. Classes who are applying this June are very likely to reap the benefits of the new sim clinic,so don't let the dated appearance sway your decision whether or not to apply to Buffalo!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you guys for the replies, if you guys don't mind how was the interview? Was it a stress-free, relaxed or a bit more formal and strict?

Thank you guys for the replies, if you guys don't mind how was the interview? Was it a stress-free, relaxed or a bit more formal and strict?
At Buffalo? Very stress free. 2 separate interviews with faculty who really just want to get to know you. No trick questions.

I believe the students that were accepted for this cycle will also have the full experience of the new clinic.

I believe the students that were accepted for this cycle will also have the full experience of the new clinic.
Of the *pre-clinic, yep. The clinic renovation timeline is not as solidified as far as I know. They should be getting pre-clinic lab renovations underway and completed this summer, though.

At Buffalo? Very stress free. 2 separate interviews with faculty who really just want to get to know you. No trick questions.

I heard that Buffalo used to give you your own op/chair which is awesome- does this still exist?

Last edited:
I heard that Buffalo used to give you your own op/chair which is awesome- does this still exist?

Also- do you get to chat with the dental students in the interview or is it just faculty? Are dental students just there for the tour?
No, you don't get your own chair anymore.

Nope not anymore, but the system is better now. You are assigned a chair based on the discipline (restorative, removable, indirect, etc) and you will work in with professors of those particular disciplines. It minimizes running around trying to hunt down a doctor to check your work. Also, we're starting to implement "dental care coordinators" to schedule patients for you, which has increased the number of procedures students have been doing measurably. So not having your own op is not a big deal, it just means you have to carry a few more things with you each day, but the pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Reactions: 2 users