Straight from Masters to PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mks93

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
I have been talking to a lot of people about this, but was hoping to get some insight. Thank you in advance.

I am currently completing my MS in EPI. At this point, I am almost positive that I want a PhD in Epi.
I am contemplating either getting my PhD here (at UW) or applying to a couple other places.

What are your thoughts on going straight into a PhD? The alternative is doing a 1-2 year fellowship, then applying after that. I would love to just get school out of the way and start on my career, but I'm also concerned about being judged for lack of experience when applying for post docs and/or jobs.

Relevant details:
-GPA so far ~3.8
-Will be doing research this summer/next year in addition to thesis
-Came here straight from undergrad

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When I was interviewing/ meeting other admitted students, I met a number of people who went straight from an MS into a PhD program. Your reasoning for wanting to get out of school and onto your career is why I applied for PhD programs right out of undergrad. I can't speak to postdocs and jobs on the other end of things, but in visiting PhD programs I gathered that if you have productive years in grad school and you go to a higher tier school with alumni connections you'll be fine once you finish.

If you need a PhD for your career advancement, apply straight from your MS. You can also apply to fellowships and then weigh your options.

If you need a PhD for your career advancement, apply straight from your MS. You can also apply to fellowships and then weigh your options.
yes, I am planning to go into academia or work as a researcher at a health department.