Strange Feeling...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FoughtFyr

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum. I'm sitting here on the 'puter on-call for PEDS clerkship (low census :clap: )

After this afternoon I'm filled with a strange sensation I last felt when I was skydiving...

It's that "OH SH**!" feeling when you realize the person in front of you just jumped and YOU'RE NEXT!

Getting nervous, any calming words out there for someone who (stupidly?) decided to switch careers three years ago and left the firehouse to go to med school and is now terrified that he won't match in EM?

Members don't see this ad.

HA! I did the same thing about 4 years ago. I mistakenly thought that being a doctor would be more fun than being a fireman. There are still times that I wish I was a fireman still, but I'm going to make the best of my future career in EM.

I will be starting an EM residency at UW/Madigan this summer.

Your background is a good start. Do you have any research or any papers published? If not, better get started. EM is getting competitive. It's good just to show that you are participating in EM related research.

Your grades are pretty much set, hopefully you are in the middle or upper third of your class. On the boards, you should get above average scores to be competitive. You don't have to score in the high 230-260's, save that **** for the Ortho wannabes.

Try not to worry, the chances are excellent that you'll get an EM residency, and probably your first choice.

Originally posted by FoughtFyr
Hello all!

I'm new to the forum. I'm sitting here on the 'puter on-call for PEDS clerkship (low census :clap: )

After this afternoon I'm filled with a strange sensation I last felt when I was skydiving...

It's that "OH SH**!" feeling when you realize the person in front of you just jumped and YOU'RE NEXT!

Getting nervous, any calming words out there for someone who (stupidly?) decided to switch careers three years ago and left the firehouse to go to med school and is now terrified that he won't match in EM?

Firefighters definitely get more chicks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember that feeling after last year's match ;)

If it makes you feel any better, 14 people in my class applied to and matched EM yesterday... and I think all 14 got something in their top 3.

Yes EM is competetive, but you don't have to be a derm candidate to match (check my stats on the poll).

Good luck and have fun with the kiddies!

fighting fires is cool...., and interesting. people in em appreciate that. do some away electives, work hard, continue leading a life, and you will be an emergency physician. em is competitive - but almost all (especially american grads) match.

just make sure that your experience (certainly unique) shines through on your app.

best of luck