Strange Question-Applying for vet school while in vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meteredspot

Doing my best
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this probably sounds ridiculous and I am not really even considering it but wanted to know if it was even feasible: Applying for another vet school while you are currently enrolled in another vet school. For example if you are currently at an overseas vet school are unable to transfer but would like to come back to the states even if it means starting over.

Sorry if this sounds stupid.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We had a girl do that after first year. She had to start all over again, but because our program is 5 years, she will graduate at the same time back in the states.

I know someone who did that. She was going to school in the states (paying international fees) and applied to Canadian schools so she could save in the long run, it did mean she would have to start over for one of the schools she applied to, but for another I think she challenged some exams and could start in second year.

So I think if money is the issue, why not?

I know someone who did that. She was going to school in the states (paying international fees) and applied to Canadian schools so she could save in the long run, it did mean she would have to start over for one of the schools she applied to, but for another I think she challenged some exams and could start in second year.

So I think if money is the issue, why not?

Wow, nice!!!! That is an intriguing idea....

Ya, Escalla, something to keep in mind. :)

My friend ended up going to AVC (she was from the Yukon, so could apply to any of the vet schools). She got accepted at WCVM, but they wanted her to retake the first year, so she opted to go to AVC.

Geez. Apparently I should have moved to the Yukon!
If I'm rejected by UCVM and WCVM, I'm definitely applying again while attending K-State. Just to see what happens. ;) I'd say saving ~$100,000 would be worth re-starting.

Someone at Dick Vet applied our first year to Australian schools (her home country) and started over back there. It was much cheaper for her. I am sure you could do it for the US.

Escalla - that's what I was thinking after she told me! Your application would be way stronger with a year of vet school under your belt. Plus, they have all been there when it comes to knowing how much it will cost. An extra year of schooling just means you will be really good at what you do! :)

It really is intriguing. I am currently over seas in a 5 year program and about to finish my first year. I wish I had thought of it earlier then I could have applied this year but at this point I would be tacking on another year of vet school making it 6 years and that just seems irresponsible. I just didn't expect to feel this miserable overseas. Hopefully transferring works out.

It really is intriguing. I am currently over seas in a 5 year program and about to finish my first year. I wish I had thought of it earlier then I could have applied this year but at this point I would be tacking on another year of vet school making it 6 years and that just seems irresponsible. I just didn't expect to feel this miserable overseas. Hopefully transferring works out.

It's tough to move away from family. You certainly make new friends, but I miss my mom a lot! So I can't imagine feeling "trapped" by the cost of a flight home.

It wouldn't hurt to try! It probably depends on the school. Perhaps contacting some admissions personnel would help. Some first year programs are very similar, even second year. If they are AVMA accredited I would think most courses are equivalent.

Like Escalla said, if she can save $100,000 why not?

Yeah it really is. You hit the nail on the head with the "trapped" feeling. I have had days where I literally didn't know what to do with myself because I was so overwhelmed with loneliness but didn't have any outlet. I couldn't really even call anyone back home because of the time difference. Honestly, as this year ends I have no idea how I made it. I am at a AVMA accredited university so that will make transferring a little bit more feasible.

If you don't mind me asking meteredspot, what international school do you go to? Is it just the loneliness you don't like, or your program as well?

U of Edinburgh. No, the program is fantastic, I love it. I have also met some great people here. I read a few books on relocating, culture shock coping mechanism etc which all said it can takes about 3 months to adjust but I just never recovered.

:( I'm really sorry to hear that. Did you pick U or E over a US school?

I'm sorry to hear that too as that is where I'm headed. You should talk to the school and ask if you can take a year off. Then apply for other US schools, closer to home? If you get in somewhere then don't go back to the UK! If you don't, I guess you'll have to think about what is best for you in the long run (hopefully not the case!).
The UK schools were very flexible when I asked them if I could do something like this (family issues). They really understand that this is hard for some international students. They definitely seem to want their students to do what's best for them, even if that means leaving the program. Good luck with everything!