Strategic Sourcing job while doing a diy postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brainwavefestival

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,
i am considering starting my post bacc journey and had originally planned to quit my job and do a post bacc full time. I came across a job opportunity in strategic sourcing at a hospital and am wondering if this would be viewed as beneficial experience when applying to medical school? So i'm trying to figure out if working in this role and doing a part time DIY post bacc would be a good idea. The role basically is a hospital admin role that liaises with physicians, budget holders, suppliers (like med device companies) etc to negotiate the purchase of equipment and medical devices for the hospital. So for example a typical project is to buy stents for the hospital and work with doctors to find out about the stents they like and then see what flexibility they have in those preferences. Then look at budget to see if hospital can afford those preference items and then negotiate with the device companies on the price, quantity, etc. The obvious plus is the interaction with physicians. But I doubt there will be a ton of patient interaction. Has anyone worked with this group before? - would love to hear your thoughts on how this will be viewed in the admissions process.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think it will give you another perspective for what working in a hospital is like and some of the operations management that goes on. It may also give you some insight into some challenging aspects of being a doctor such as accessing equipment and operating inside a large bureaucracy. I don't think that this job will "make" your application but it can definitely play into your narrative of why you want to be a doctor and help demonstrate that you are familiar with what you are getting yourself into. Combining this with a decent amount of shadowing and volunteer work, a strong post-bac record and MCAT score and it will be a solid application.

hi all,
i am considering starting my post bacc journey and had originally planned to quit my job and do a post bacc full time. I came across a job opportunity in strategic sourcing at a hospital and am wondering if this would be viewed as beneficial experience when applying to medical school? So i'm trying to figure out if working in this role and doing a part time DIY post bacc would be a good idea. The role basically is a hospital admin role that liaises with physicians, budget holders, suppliers (like med device companies) etc to negotiate the purchase of equipment and medical devices for the hospital. So for example a typical project is to buy stents for the hospital and work with doctors to find out about the stents they like and then see what flexibility they have in those preferences. Then look at budget to see if hospital can afford those preference items and then negotiate with the device companies on the price, quantity, etc. The obvious plus is the interaction with physicians. But I doubt there will be a ton of patient interaction. Has anyone worked with this group before? - would love to hear your thoughts on how this will be viewed in the admissions process.

Thanks

Postbacs routinely overvalue the importance of EC's. I certainly did early, against the advice of an adviser.

MD is going take a guy with a 3.8 sGPA and a 518 MCAT and 50 hours of volunteering over a guy with a 3.3 and a 505 MCAT and 1,500 hours of volunteering. DO schools are more eclectic but still.

I think having a job related to health care probably helps you a little, but not nearly so much as you may think.

interesting. i'm obsessing over being a well-rounded competitive applicant with lots of outside ECs. is this really not necessary? i look at the younger applicants in certain lectures/events i've gone to and they're all superstars in research, volunteer work, leadership, feeding babies in africa, etc. you really this isn't that important?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think most people are in agreement that GPA and MCAT matter the most, first and foremost. They are MUCH more important than your extracurriculars... though that's not saying that ECs don't factor into your admissions decision somewhat either. Once you get that 3.8 and 518, sure you'll beat out the 3.3 and 505, but then you might be up against another candidate with a 3.8 and 518. However, that candidate happens to have a publication, 400 hours of volunteering, and other stuff that's going to push him into gaining that acceptance over you.

So getting a good GPA and MCAT score will get your foot in the door, but it's also wise to strengthen the rest of your application with relevant ECs for that final little stretch. More ECs prove dedication, but that dedication means nothing if you can't prove you can handle the academic rigor of med school.

Regarding your question about your job, I'd echo the above. It's a neat opportunity if you're interested in that kind of stuff but probably isn't going to hold much weight in your application compared to clinical experience, which is much more relevant than strategic sourcing. I would do it if you have free time and want the money.

The value of EC's are certainly subject to sharply diminishing marginal returns after some low point - probably around 250 hours.

Certainly ECs are important, but better to apply with marginal volunteering ("so tell me about what happened there" "insert some story here" "oh yeah, that makes sense") than a marginal MCAT, since low MCAT -> no interviews

Last edited:
If the difference is good scores and poor ECs vs poor scores and good ECs than the good score will win. That is not what you are up against (as you pointed out). It is fiercely competitive and you will be looked at from many angles. Prioritize good grades or you will never have a shot, but also commit to a diverse range of ECs to build your skills and qualities. People with leadership skills, stronger communication and a broader perspective of the world do better both during acceptance and in medicine. Are you trying to get the acceptance or help yourself truly become a great physician (which takes more than just a high score on a test)?

Specifically will this job be critical to anything, probably not. Can you use it to grow and eventually showcase your abilities and skills? That is what makes any experience worthwhile. I have seen students write compelling and effective essays about almost everything, so it matters more that you are growing as a person! GL