Strategy question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

need_some_coffee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone-- long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a a 32 yo nontrad in active duty. I had my maturity issues in undergrad, and came out with a 3.0 cGPA and 2.5 sGPA. Went into the service, and have picked up an MBA (3.8) and MS (3.9) along the way. Fast forward 10 years, and I am ready for new challenges. I took the prereqs in a DIY post bac at a local university, and came out with a 3.8ish. This raises overall GPA to the 3.4ish, but unfortunately gets my sGPA to a 2.98. (DOH!)

I am taking the MCAT next week, and am shooting for low 30s.

I have strong letters and good ECs.

I realize an application this cycle is a long shot, and the smart thing to do would be to take a few more science courses, hopefully get the sGPA solidly above 3.0 or better, and apply next cycle. Unfortunately, I am headed to sea this summer for at least 6 months, so that is not really an option. (IF (big IF) I was accepted, I would resign from the service to attend med school.)

I am open to both MD/DO, but would strongly prefer the local MD school which is known to be particularly friendly to local students.

Do I chance an application this cycle, and if I get no love than apply to an SMP to start in the fall? Should I just take some online science courses to get the sGPA over the 3 mark, and then apply next cycle? Any other strategies that I am not thinking of?

I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or guidance. Thanks, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Easiest route is to retake every F/D/C science course work and then apply to DO programs. get the sGPA > 3.0 and they'll show you lots of love.

Many thanks for your service to our country!

Hi Everyone-- long time lurker, first time poster.

I am a a 32 yo nontrad in active duty. I had my maturity issues in undergrad, and came out with a 3.0 cGPA and 2.5 sGPA. Went into the service, and have picked up an MBA (3.8) and MS (3.9) along the way. Fast forward 10 years, and I am ready for new challenges. I took the prereqs in a DIY post bac at a local university, and came out with a 3.8ish. This raises overall GPA to the 3.4ish, but unfortunately gets my sGPA to a 2.98. (DOH!)

I am taking the MCAT next week, and am shooting for low 30s.

I have strong letters and good ECs.

I realize an application this cycle is a long shot, and the smart thing to do would be to take a few more science courses, hopefully get the sGPA solidly above 3.0 or better, and apply next cycle. Unfortunately, I am headed to sea this summer for at least 6 months, so that is not really an option. (IF (big IF) I was accepted, I would resign from the service to attend med school.)

I am open to both MD/DO, but would strongly prefer the local MD school which is known to be particularly friendly to local students.

Do I chance an application this cycle, and if I get no love than apply to an SMP to start in the fall? Should I just take some online science courses to get the sGPA over the 3 mark, and then apply next cycle? Any other strategies that I am not thinking of?

I would appreciate any thoughts, suggestions or guidance. Thanks, everyone!

Goro and gonnif, thank you very much for the advice. Big decisions to make!