Stress interview or just a bad interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Really hope you didn't.

I don't interpret what you've written here about what was said and done with the same tone that you claim here
however, I wasn't there

it just sounds sort of entitled that he was "supposed to be impressed" by what YOU find impressive about yourself, rather than the only thing you mentioned here that actually sounds interesting or different about you in a way that might make me value your other achievements more. I would want to talk about that. I don't need to talk about numbers on a page in front of me that you wrote that we both know. I'm not surprised if a psychiatrist took more note of this than other interviewers you may have had. As far as interrupting you, as long as he's not being malicious, even if he is a touch "rude" interrupting you and with negatives... you are there to impress them more than the other way around. (not that schools want terrible interviewers chasing off great applicants).

In fact, I wonder if in your quest to direct the conversation where you felt your "money" for a 30 minute interview should go, you were inadvertantly rude and set a bad tone for the interview yourself.

I had two interviews where I was totally freaked out because we never talked about me, or we never talked about anything that wasn't total BS small talk. The interviewers just talked about themselves and one it was their favorite food. I'm said it elsewhere, don't try to hard to steer the interview, people love to talk about themselves, people report liking people better for how well they listened and how they made them feel about themselves more than anything about that person in particular. Psychs especially love to talk in my experience, feel that they can "call" you with a lot of reading between the lines, and definitely value good listeners.

The person giving the tour sounds like a tired resident. It's been said, if the residents don't look a little tired they are not worked hard enough and are not learning enough. I don't know if that should be a goal but it's one perspective of what you may have experienced on tour. Residents work too hard to spend a lot of time in the "study lounge" so he very well might have had no idea where that is. He was probably thinking, "as if" while imagining his couch and Netflix at home.

the basically is a 7/10 humblebrag
because you are telling us how awesome you are simultaneously telling us how you are clueless to how your "awesomeness" isn't awesome and spiting yourself

TLDR:
I could be wrong about the whole thing, but it was an opportunity to correct any other reader's notions about what the interview "should be about," and to cut the tour guide some slack.
also what to do if interviewers don't want to talk about what you want/they want to talk about whatever they want

I was very fortunate to get accepted in 7 other schools including top 7th and 8th. Later I found couple of my UG colleagues had the same experience.

Members don't see this ad.

I was very fortunate to get accepted in 7 other schools including top 7th and 8th. Later I found couple of my UG colleagues had the same experience.

so you followed up a "humble brag" with a brag.

congrats.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it bothers me because OP actually experienced what sounds like inappropriate interview behavior, yet you make the thread about, how they didn't, as Starbuck would say, "Kiss your ass to your satisfaction."

And you prove it's not YOUR narcissism by bumping this thread OVER a month later to tell us how many better schools you got into and how all your friends didn't like interviewing there either. Way to go.

:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user