Stress Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AngelOfAvarice

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had an interview recently that I felt was designed to stress me out. I feel like I did well, but I left wondering what the overall point was. I have multiple interviews lined up, and rather than leaving me with a good experience to walk away with, I left feeling unsure how I did. Why do interviewers or schools do this? Why was I singled out for this? Does the school not care if I go there, and if so why did they invite me in the first place?

The interviewer arrived pretty late, which is fine as there was a justifiable excuse for that, and something similar had happened at my previous interview. What I more ruffled by was that my interviewer would cut me off in the middle of answers, none of which had come close to exceeding 2 minutes. He was often not happy with my answers. He asked me a question that I felt was, politically speaking, a questionable choice for topic, and that I would only ask someone if I wanted to make them uncomfortable. Most of his questions seemed adversarial, and I didn't manage to get a smile out of him until 25 minutes into the interview.

Overall, I don't think I lost composure, but it was something of a violated expectation because everyone else was talking about how relaxed their interviews were. He seemed like a nice guy, but he didn't really allow me to connect with him socially.

Anyways, does anyone have any insight into why this would have happened? Also why do my interviewers keep asking how I plan to pay for med school? I'm poor, so with loans like everyone else. It isn't like I have 200k sitting around.

Members don't see this ad.

That's just the style of some interviewers, most people will probably encounter one along the way. Either they're generally hard to please, or they want to see how you react. It sounds like you did great, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The point was to see how you deal with stress, and how you think on your feet. At some point in your career, you're going to be dealing with an acting out psychotic, or dealing with a major bleed (either internally or externally). Losing composure is not an option.

I had an interview recently that I felt was designed to stress me out. I feel like I did well, but I left wondering what the overall point was. I have multiple interviews lined up, and rather than leaving me with a good experience to walk away with, I left feeling unsure how I did. Why do interviewers or schools do this?

It's not you; it's the interviewer's style. Some people are hardasses, and some are teddy bears.
Why was I singled out for this? Does the school not care if I go there, and if so why did they invite me in the first place?

That's unprofessional, and a note to the Admissions dean here is important. It won't single you out as a whiney crybaby...the process needs to weed out bad interviewers. They only way that will happen is to tell the Dean.
The interviewer arrived pretty late, which is fine as there was a justifiable excuse for that, and something similar had happened at my previous interview.

Your perception of getting to the point might have been different from his, especially if the question was a simple one. I'll cut people off if they start babbling or they fail to answer the question, because they heard X when I asked Y. For example, sometimes I ask people what is their hometown. They interpret this as an opportunity to tell me their life story, when the question really was "so, Angel, where are you from?"

Also, not everyone has perfect interviews and you may have been off your game. the interviewer may very well have not been satisfied with your answers.
What I more ruffled by was that my interviewer would cut me off in the middle of answers, none of which had come close to exceeding 2 minutes. He was often not happy with my answers.

Can you elaborate? A lot of things are fair game, even if you might not think so.
He asked me a question that I felt was, politically speaking, a questionable choice for topic, and that I would only ask someone if I wanted to make them uncomfortable. Most of his questions seemed adversarial, and I didn't manage to get a smile out of him until 25 minutes into the interview.

I never care nor ask about this, but student debt IS an issue these days. And you answered the question. Note: many applicants ARE the children of doctors. Med student tend to be from the privileged classes.
Also why do my interviewers keep asking how I plan to pay for med school? I'm poor, so with loans like everyone else.

Reactions: 2 users
"That's unprofessional, and a note to the Admissions dean here is important. It won't single you out as a whiney crybaby...the process needs to weed out bad interviewers. They only way that will happen is to tell the Dean."

There was a legitimate excuse, and I feel they handled it as well as they could have, so I won't be telling the dean about it.

"Your perception of getting to the point might have been different from his, especially if the question was a simple one. I'll cut people off if they start babbling or they fail to answer the question, because they heard X when I asked Y. For example, sometimes I ask people what is their hometown. They interpret this as an opportunity to tell me their life story, when the question really was "so, Angel, where are you from?"

Also, not everyone has perfect interviews and you may have been off your game. the interviewer may very well have not been satisfied with your answers."

A question would be something like who do you think changed the world, and I would say this person, and start to give an explanation and five seconds in would be cut off. Once or twice he asked a question, and while I was answering it he decided that he didn't like the question, and moved on to the next one.

"Can you elaborate? A lot of things are fair game, even if you might not think so."

I'd prefer not to, just to ensure that no problems are caused for anyone involved. Ultimately, I just wonder whether this person will be able or willing to advocate on my behalf to the admissions committee because he gave only a little inclination that he liked me. I did as well as I could though, and I imagine there isn't anything I can do about it at this point. Thank you for responding with so much detail Goro, I appreciate it.

I'd prefer not to, just to ensure that no problems are caused for anyone involved. Ultimately, I just wonder whether this person will be able or willing to advocate on my behalf to the admissions committee because he gave only a little inclination that he liked me. I did as well as I could though, and I imagine there isn't anything I can do about it at this point. Thank you for responding with so much detail Goro, I appreciate it.
How can we help you if you don't tell us?