Stress over grades in M1 and M2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I wanted to get some community thoughts on this. I'm still trying to understand the inner workings of all the grade implications for M1 and M2 years. I'm an M1 at a US MD school that does A,B,C,F grading (not pass-fail). I don't think that there is a competitive environment at my school to make top grades, it's more of a camaraderie-type atmosphere, which is great. I have read all the residency reports as to how much grades matter from the first 2 years.. aka not that much.. and that there are way more valuable things to do well on (step 1, clerkships, etc.).

HOWEVER, here is where my questions come in. Class rank has to matter somewhat, being in the top 25% in your class if you're shooting for AOA is a must as well. So why do people that go to pass-fail schools seem to not care at all about grades and go out 3-4 times a week, etc. You still get put into a class rank at a pass-fail school, do you not? Being in the bottom 25% of your class on your CV also seems to have bad implications. When it comes to residency, is every school required to put your GPA/rank even if they were pass-fail? (I heard rumors that Stanford med does not release the class-rank of any students as long as they're passing, true?).

I know the ultimate goal is to do well on boards and come out as a well-trained doctor.. and I understand that people have different goals for themselves. But I don't understand how some people just seem not to care. I've heard that being in AOA is a giant leg-up for applying to competitive residencies in rads, onc, derm, surg.. so why do people not seem concerned with being in the top 25% of their class?

Thoughts?

AOA is a big leg up for EVERYTHING. Please people - don't sell yourselves short and accept that P=MD. It makes you feel better but you're less motivated, you don't learn as much, and it hurts in the end when you aren't getting the fabulous residency interviews you could have gotten because you wanted to be cool and go out one more time per week than you otherwise would have. Don't take it for granted that you're "not applying to a competitive residency anyway" so therefore you'll have the pick of the litter when it comes to great programs - it's just not true (sure, I'm doing fine, but that doesn't mean I couldn't be doing better!). And guess what - AOA is a compilation of not just step 1 and 3rd year grades, but M1 and M2 grades too! And your activities as well (not sure how they incorporate that though haha). So don't take anything for granted and be active in your medical education!

Members don't see this ad.

And guess what - AOA is a compilation of not just step 1 and 3rd year grades, but M1 and M2 grades too!!

Maybe, maybe not. One must know the policies of their home institution when considering things like this.

And guess what - AOA is a compilation of not just step 1 and 3rd year grades, but M1 and M2 grades too! And your activities as well (not sure how they incorporate that though haha). So don't take anything for granted and be active in your medical education!

This just simply isn't true at many schools. Just because it's true at YOURS doesn't mean it's true at all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
And guess what - AOA is a compilation of not just step 1 and 3rd year grades, but M1 and M2 grades too! And your activities as well (not sure how they incorporate that though haha). So don't take anything for granted and be active in your medical education!

As was pointed out above, this is not the case at every school. Every chapter has their own criteria, and at some it's more of a "we look at everything you've done while in medical school" and at some it's "Step I + M3 grades", and everything in between.

I will say, however, that consistently busting my ass like crazy during M1/M2, while a bit miserable at times, is absolutely what helped me dominate Step I/Step II, be selected for AOA, and excel in the clinical years and match into my top choice Derm residency. I realize that there are people who can come on here and claim that not focusing on minutiae helped them achieve the same things, but I would venture to guess that overall success is more likely when you set yourself up well from the get go. These are a few of what I believe to be the benefits of honoring your preclinical years (or coming close):

1. As mentioned, great Step I score. I realize this is not a given, and I would like to qualify this by saying that for it to truly benefit your Step I score, you need to be able to not only remember the minutiae for the exams (depending on the setup of your exams), but understand which concepts/details are going to be consistent themes throughout future testing (Step I, shelves, Step II, etc) and really hammer them into your mind. I've used this analogy before, but Step I and preclinical courses are not some character attributes in an RPG where if you increase one you have to decrease the other. Part of "busting your ass" in M2 specifically is being able to juggle the lecture details with the board-specific important concepts. Studying for your classes while supplementing with Goljan/Pathoma/FA (and slowly transitioning to using these board materials to a greater degree as the year goes on) can really help.

2. Great preclinical grades, while fairly low on the list of things PDs look for, can help you tons for AOA if your school takes this into consideration. Even with P/F schools, the majority still maintain an internal ranking system based on preclinical (and clinical) grades.

3. Better memorization. Another facet of busting your ass during M1/M2 is not simply trying to memorize more information/details, but constantly reviewing and re-reviewing the same old information to make it stick. For me, I made a ton of passes through my notes leading up to exams, as I wanted to be 100% sure that that information was locked into my memory, and for longer than just a few hours for a test. This reviewing began early and was not simply cramming last minute. Consistent and thorough review of class notes repeatedly was - for me - the key to success here. During M3, especially early on, most of what you'll be pimped on is preclinical type stuff that you're actually expected to know. Having this stuff stick with you long term can absolutely give you a leg up when it comes to answering these questions.

4. To build off #3, an easier time dominating other future exams. Studying for Step I was so much more efficient during my "dedicated" study time because of the groundwork I had already laid. During my clinical years, some of the shelves (Peds and IM specifically) felt like extensions of Step I with a clinical bent, and the amount of studying I had to do to excel on these shelves was probably significantly less than if I hadn't still had a ton of the Step I stuff still engraved in my mind. "Studying" for Step II was a joke and I still scored ~15 points higher than Step I.

5. Assuming you can achieve much of what's outlined in 1-4, the satisfaction of ending up in a great residency program in a great specialty that you enjoy. And no, this doesn't have to be derm for everyone. But you will have an infinitely easier road to where you want to end up if you set yourself up for success early on. I realize there are tons of confounding factors, but if you look at the top 15 students from our preclinical years, 3 matched Derm, 3 into Ophtho (2 at top 5 programs), 2 matched into Plastics, 2 matched Radiology, 1 at a top 3 OB/Gyn program, 2 at top 5 IM residencies, and 2 into their top choice Family Medicine programs. Obviously there is a huge element of self-selection here, but you would be extremely unlikely to see this kind of distribution among the people ranked toward the bottom or even the middle of the class even during the preclinical years.

It also came as no surprise that the people at my school who scored >240 on Step I included all but one of the preclinical top 15 students, and the people >240 that weren't in the top 15 were all still very good students during the preclinical years. There was not one person on the list (our school sent out an email to congratulate students with >240 scores but forgot to hide the other email addresses) who wasn't at least at or above average during M1/M2, and only one person I could think of that was actually "only average" during the preclinical years. There is a definite correlation between M1/M2 success and success with Step I. Sure, there are exceptions, but it's silly to expect that you are going to be that exception. Why handicap yourself so early on?

As was pointed out above, this is not the case at every school. Every chapter has their own criteria, and at some it's more of a "we look at everything you've done while in medical school" and at some it's "Step I + M3 grades", and everything in between.

I will say, however, that consistently busting my ass like crazy during M1/M2, while a bit miserable at times, is absolutely what helped me dominate Step I/Step II, be selected for AOA, and excel in the clinical years and match into my top choice Derm residency. I realize that there are people who can come on here and claim that not focusing on minutiae helped them achieve the same things, but I would venture to guess that overall success is more likely when you set yourself up well from the get go. These are a few of what I believe to be the benefits of honoring your preclinical years (or coming close):

1. As mentioned, great Step I score. I realize this is not a given, and I would like to qualify this by saying that for it to truly benefit your Step I score, you need to be able to not only remember the minutiae for the exams (depending on the setup of your exams), but understand which concepts/details are going to be consistent themes throughout future testing (Step I, shelves, Step II, etc) and really hammer them into your mind. I've used this analogy before, but Step I and preclinical courses are not some character attributes in an RPG where if you increase one you have to decrease the other. Part of "busting your ass" in M2 specifically is being able to juggle the lecture details with the board-specific important concepts. Studying for your classes while supplementing with Goljan/Pathoma/FA (and slowly transitioning to using these board materials to a greater degree as the year goes on) can really help.

2. Great preclinical grades, while fairly low on the list of things PDs look for, can help you tons for AOA if your school takes this into consideration. Even with P/F schools, the majority still maintain an internal ranking system based on preclinical (and clinical) grades.

3. Better memorization. Another facet of busting your ass during M1/M2 is not simply trying to memorize more information/details, but constantly reviewing and re-reviewing the same old information to make it stick. For me, I made a ton of passes through my notes leading up to exams, as I wanted to be 100% sure that that information was locked into my memory, and for longer than just a few hours for a test. This reviewing began early and was not simply cramming last minute. Consistent and thorough review of class notes repeatedly was - for me - the key to success here. During M3, especially early on, most of what you'll be pimped on is preclinical type stuff that you're actually expected to know. Having this stuff stick with you long term can absolutely give you a leg up when it comes to answering these questions.

4. To build off #3, an easier time dominating other future exams. Studying for Step I was so much more efficient during my "dedicated" study time because of the groundwork I had already laid. During my clinical years, some of the shelves (Peds and IM specifically) felt like extensions of Step I with a clinical bent, and the amount of studying I had to do to excel on these shelves was probably significantly less than if I hadn't still had a ton of the Step I stuff still engraved in my mind. "Studying" for Step II was a joke and I still scored ~15 points higher than Step I.

5. Assuming you can achieve much of what's outlined in 1-4, the satisfaction of ending up in a great residency program in a great specialty that you enjoy. And no, this doesn't have to be derm for everyone. But you will have an infinitely easier road to where you want to end up if you set yourself up for success early on. I realize there are tons of confounding factors, but if you look at the top 15 students from our preclinical years, 3 matched Derm, 3 into Ophtho (2 at top 5 programs), 2 matched into Plastics, 2 matched Radiology, 1 at a top 3 OB/Gyn program, 2 at top 5 IM residencies, and 2 into their top choice Family Medicine programs. Obviously there is a huge element of self-selection here, but you would be extremely unlikely to see this kind of distribution among the people ranked toward the bottom or even the middle of the class even during the preclinical years.

It also came as no surprise that the people at my school who scored >240 on Step I included all but one of the preclinical top 15 students, and the people >240 that weren't in the top 15 were all still very good students during the preclinical years. There was not one person on the list (our school sent out an email to congratulate students with >240 scores but forgot to hide the other email addresses) who wasn't at least at or above average during M1/M2, and only one person I could think of that was actually "only average" during the preclinical years. There is a definite correlation between M1/M2 success and success with Step I. Sure, there are exceptions, but it's silly to expect that you are going to be that exception. Why handicap yourself so early on?

I also remember you saying you studied 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I'll admit, I won't do that. But I'm sure I'll achieve the goals I want.

I also have never understood the united states obsession with derm. I remember seeing a few other countries most popular specialties and derm was nowhere close to the top. Money, mid levels, reimbursements, etc all cloud our view of what's good or not. If those advantage change in 10 years then there'll be a new most competitive gig in medicine. Or if the govt decides to pay everyone the same... that would change everyone's view of what's a good specialty.

Last edited:
I also remember you saying you studied 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I'll admit, I won't do that. But I'm sure I'll achieve the goals I want.

That's fine, everyone has their limits. And I will be the first to say that I probably could've come up with more efficient ways at times to achieve the same results in less time; however, once I found what worked, it seemed increasingly like a gamble to throw that away for a different, less time-consuming strategy.

I also have never understood the united states obsession with derm. I remember seeing a few other countries most popular specialties and derm was nowhere close to the top. Money, mid levels, reimbursements, etc all cloud our view of what's good or not. If those advantage change in 10 years then there'll be a new most competitive gig in medicine. Or if the govt decides to pay everyone the same... that would change everyone's view of what's a good specialty.

I personally enjoy the work involved with Derm, and I take the good hours and decent pay (although it is certainly not as high as people seem to assume) as an added bonus. All the highest achievers used to go into IM back in the day, and you probably coudn't pay me enough to do IM.

Derm is a fantastic mix of interesting (to me) clinical work and avoids many of the things I hate about "medicine" (social work, spending all your time in the hospital, social work, dealing with people who adamantly refuse to change their lives for the better, social work).

In as much as it's silly to choose a specialty based only on lifestyle factors, it seems equally (if not more) silly to choose a specialty in spite of lifestyle factors. Yes someone will come on here and say they'd rather spend 100 hours/week rounding or resecting necrotic bowel than pop pimples for 40 hours/week, but those people are deluded. There is a trade off with anything, and if you personally wouldn't do Derm even if it paid a billion dollars for 20 hours/week, then clearly it's not for you and that's perfectly fine.

It may seem foolish to bank on the current medical climate remaining the same forever, but it's also quite foolish to assume one's crystal ball can predict the future. Sure, the general trends are towards decreased reimbursements for procedures and there's a push to try to increase PCP pay (which I agree with, but not at the expense of other physicians' pay), but at the moment we all have to make our decisions based on the current situations and try our best to interpret what we think might happen in the future. Unfortunately, things are not very clear at this point for the future, and so I would advise against anyone assuming FP docs will be making $300k and can all stop accepting Medicare/Medicaid 10-20 years from now.

Even given the current doomsday predictions about medicine, I'd much rather be doing Derm than just about anything else when the Four Horsemen of Asclepius come for us all.

My body would collapse after one semester if I studied 12 hours for 7 days a week :eek:

Kudos good sir.

That's fine, everyone has their limits. And I will be the first to say that I probably could've come up with more efficient ways at times to achieve the same results in less time; however, once I found what worked, it seemed increasingly like a gamble to throw that away for a different, less time-consuming strategy.

I personally enjoy the work involved with Derm, and I take the good hours and decent pay (although it is certainly not as high as people seem to assume) as an added bonus. All the highest achievers used to go into IM back in the day, and you probably coudn't pay me enough to do IM.

Derm is a fantastic mix of interesting (to me) clinical work and avoids many of the things I hate about "medicine" (social work, spending all your time in the hospital, social work, dealing with people who adamantly refuse to change their lives for the better, social work).

In as much as it's silly to choose a specialty based only on lifestyle factors, it seems equally (if not more) silly to choose a specialty in spite of lifestyle factors. Yes someone will come on here and say they'd rather spend 100 hours/week rounding or resecting necrotic bowel than pop pimples for 40 hours/week, but those people are deluded. There is a trade off with anything, and if you personally wouldn't do Derm even if it paid a billion dollars for 20 hours/week, then clearly it's not for you and that's perfectly fine.

It may seem foolish to bank on the current medical climate remaining the same forever, but it's also quite foolish to assume one's crystal ball can predict the future. Sure, the general trends are towards decreased reimbursements for procedures and there's a push to try to increase PCP pay (which I agree with, but not at the expense of other physicians' pay), but at the moment we all have to make our decisions based on the current situations and try our best to interpret what we think might happen in the future. Unfortunately, things are not very clear at this point for the future, and so I would advise against anyone assuming FP docs will be making $300k and can all stop accepting Medicare/Medicaid 10-20 years from now.

Even given the current doomsday predictions about medicine, I'd much rather be doing Derm than just about anything else when the Four Horsemen of Asclepius come for us all.

I pretty much agree with all you've said here. Everyone has different interests and if you enjoy derm I think that's great. I agree that predicting the future isnt the path to choosing a specialty, instesd do what you enjoy and are good at. The money will work itself out.

I too wish I was more efficient, but I'm not. And I also don't have the endurance you have... no AOA for me.
You obviously are very successful and if people want to replicate what you've done, you're advice is good. Good luck.

Studying 12 hrs a day, 7 days a week just seems highly inefficient to me. That's 84 hrs a week right there. I will do it for steps though, probably 10-14 hrs a day for 6-8 wks but for 2 yrs? I wonder how you never suffered deep vein thrombosis/pulmonary embolism/stroke. Did you even find time to do any research? Workout? Cook? Eat? I can understand working for 12-16 hrs daily doing experiments in lab, but studying that long per day chronically just seems a tad too much. 6-8 hrs per day, 5-6 days per week is fair, on the other hand.

I wonder whether you still recall hemoglobin synthesis and it's minutiae despite the excessive time.

I know people with >250 who didn't study 24/7 in med school and were above average on exams.

We all have our styles.

Did you even find time to do any research? Workout? Cook? Eat?

Absolutely. I am big into bodybuilding and was in the best shape of my life during med school (and I was a D1 varsity wrestler before med school so that should tell you something), ate clean as hell and always cooked my meals and such. Published a couple first author papers too. The key is using those 12 hours a day efficiently (hint: going to class or taking frequent study diversions to surf the web is not efficient).

Absolutely. I am big into bodybuilding and was in the best shape of my life during med school (and I was a D1 varsity wrestler before med school so that should tell you something), ate clean as hell and always cooked my meals and such. Published a couple first author papers too. The key is using those 12 hours a day efficiently (hint: going to class or taking frequent study diversions to surf the web is not efficient).

ok, lots of respect. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh so the Derm interest stems from years of first hand experience with Ring worm, Impetigo, and staph. Haha just kidding

Ahh so the Derm interest stems from years of first hand experience with Ring worm, Impetigo, and staph. Haha just kidding

Hahaha.

Also, and this is really just a nice byproduct of everything, but because I busted my butt for 80+ hours/week for two years, I now have the fortune of working in a TY where half the year I am practically on vacation, and after this I will work in a field where 40 hours/week is essentially the norm. Not that this was the motivation for all the work, but I will say it's nice to think about at this point.

By all means, if you guys can achieve your goals/dreams in a more efficient/less time-consuming way, go for it and best wishes. I do not think I would've ended up where I am had I not put in the kind of time I did, but everyone is obviously different.

Hahaha.

Also, and this is really just a nice byproduct of everything, but because I busted my butt for 80+ hours/week for two years, I now have the fortune of working in a TY where half the year I am practically on vacation, and after this I will work in a field where 40 hours/week is essentially the norm. Not that this was the motivation for all the work, but I will say it's nice to think about at this point.

By all means, if you guys can achieve your goals/dreams in a more efficient/less time-consuming way, go for it and best wishes. I do not think I would've ended up where I am had I not put in the kind of time I did, but everyone is obviously different.

Suuuuuuuure lifestyle wasn't a motivation at all :laugh:

I didn't say it wasn't a motivation, but it wasn't THE motivation.

Then what was? Sorry, it's hard for me to believe it's not one of the biggest motivators for the field. I get that derm has some "procedures" involved (Mohs, biopsies, etc) but I've never heard someone go "oh I went into it for the procedures" or "I love the patients" or "I love the pathology or pathophysiology" etc like you hear for most other specialties.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious as to why people go into derm.

Then what was? Sorry, it's hard for me to believe it's not one of the biggest motivators for the field. I get that derm has some "procedures" involved (Mohs, biopsies, etc) but I've never heard someone go "oh I went into it for the procedures" or "I love the patients" or "I love the pathology or pathophysiology" etc like you hear for most other specialties.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious as to why people go into derm.

I remember him saying once that he didn't like sick patients. I got a kick out of that.

I remember him saying once that he didn't like sick patients. I got a kick out of that.

Happy to brighten your day. It is indeed one of the perks of derm.

My IM intern friends are finally beginning to realize just how great a perk that can be.

My IM intern friends are finally beginning to realize just how great a perk that can be.

Oh, I'm sure it is. I wasnt being critical either, to each his own. Medicine pretty much is just a job, so I understand the benefit. Its just funny when I look at admissions and all the stuff they idealize docs to be/do. Then I get into med school and everybody wants to get theirs, and half of docs are stressed and burned out complaining about the system.

Maybe you figured it out. I don't know.

Kudos to everything you've achieved academically, but not liking sick patients and stating not wanting any kind of 'social work' 3 times for the reason you went into derm... we're on totally different pages for why we choose this profession.

Kudos to everything you've achieved academically, but not liking sick patients and stating not wanting any kind of 'social work' 3 times for the reason you went into derm... we're on totally different pages for why we choose this profession.

Cool.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0012.GIF
    IMG_0012.GIF
    51.4 KB · Views: 92

I was just commenting on what I read, to each his own. But I don't really get your remark, some people are actually going into this profession to heal the sick you know... What happens when those 'sick people' are your parents or your son/daughter? Because every patient is someones parents, or someones son/daughter... If you plan on making your decisions based solely on lifestyle and income, that's your choice, I was just saying that I am motivated by other things.

Last edited:
I was just commenting on what I read, to each his own. But I don't really get your remark, some people are actually going into this profession to heal the sick you know... What happens when those 'sick people' are your parents or your son/daughter?

Well, they probably won't be seeing a dermatologist. And when your children have acne or your parents have some kind of skin issue ("trite" or not) then they will likely be just as thankful for that dermatologist as other patients are for their "real" doctors.

I understand where you're coming from and actually agree with you to some extent, but your thinly veiled righteousness isn't going to do you any favors.

(sent from my phone)

I was just commenting on what I read, to each his own. But I don't really get your remark, some people are actually going into this profession to heal the sick you know... What happens when those 'sick people' are your parents or your son/daughter? Because every patient is someones parents, or someones son/daughter... If you plan on making your decisions based solely on lifestyle and income, that's your choice, I was just saying that I am motivated by other things.

I think what he was trying to say was that, all too often, med students (and pre med students) enter into medicine thinking they're gonna "take on the world" and are going to be these noble world-saving doctors, only to realize how broken the system is and get socked in the face by it.

I hope that you continue to avoid becoming cynical. I honestly do. It just happens to so so many people.

Well, they probably won't be seeing a dermatologist. And when your children have acne or your parents have some kind of skin issue ("trite" or not) then they will likely be just as thankful for that dermatologist as other patients are for their "real" doctors.

I understand where you're coming from and actually agree with you to some extent, but your thinly veiled righteousness isn't going to do you any favors.

(sent from my phone)

Hmm.. I agree with you as well.. I think you are all taking my comment way to the extreme. "my thinly veiled righteousness"?? what? I also plan on weighing lifestyle and income into my decision when it comes that time, I have a family and time spent with them is very important to me also. When you say that "you actually agree with me to some extent", we are probably closer to on the exact same page as you would think. My comment was meant in relative terms to the poster, not as all I care about. And as far as the parents comment, I was saying that in response to the guy rolling his eyes and posting a cheesy comic, not the derm resident.

And in response to you guywhodoesstuff, I know very well what med school can do to people. And honestly, if I can keep from becoming cynical through all of it it will be something I will be proud of. It's impossible to not become at least somewhat jaded through it all because like you said, the profession isn't what pre-meds chalk it up to be. In this informational age, every patient's family thinks they know the diagnosis/treatment better than you do, and I'm sure its very detrimental to doctors outlook over time and probably makes many doctors unhappy. I would venture to say that the majority of 'unhappy' doctors aren't that way because they dislike their income, hours (which are now way better than they used to be), or procedures.. but rather from the unnecessary flak they get from the people they're trying to help. I know that. But everyone deserves a chance, you can't blame the patient for their illness even if they caused it. Not to mention, it's pretty obvious that people aren't at their best when they're sick.

Lol whatever. I don't care what specialty he goes into, I was just curious of the reasons why which aren't lifestyle related and so far all I've really heard is that patients aren't sick in derm (you know, other than when they are) and that there's no social work. I also think it's ******ed to base specialty decisions purely off of money and lifestyle because frankly in the near future there's gonna be a lot of changes and we don't fully know how doc salaries and earnings will be affected. I've already heard one dermatology bound fellow whine to me about how much this Obama is gonna slash his earnings - whether that is true or not I neither know nor care.

For what it's worth I'm one of the less cynical folks who enjoys taking care of sick patients. I like actually having a tangible effect with managing my patients' illnesses and I love medicine. In fact I like it when they're often at their sickest, hence my interest in Pulm/CC and cardiology.

Lol whatever. I don't care what specialty he goes into, I was just curious of the reasons why which aren't lifestyle related and so far all I've really heard is that patients aren't sick in derm (you know, other than when they are) and that there's no social work.

That's because I don't feel the need to justify my decisions to strangers, least of all ones who are already skeptical at baseline.

That's because I don't feel the need to justify my decisions to strangers, least of all ones who are already skeptical at baseline.

Right, because nobody has preconceptions ever about things. Whatever

ITT: Resident tells it like it is, gets reamed by M1s who justify their mediocre grades by claiming "they only focus on the big picture".

Also, you're a bad person.

(sent from my phone)

lol yeah did not get that comment...it's not like he's going into IM saying "I hate sick people".

as MCATguy said, there are many paths to success. I honestly don't put much faith in one person's journey because there are multitudes of other people who have achieved the same goal with a different route. But I love the pearls of wisdom, i.e., "work hard", "be efficient", etc. Things like that are what make this website such a great resource.

Thanks for your perspective. I agree that busting your ass will help you get a good Step 1 score. The question is whether grades are necessary to get people to bust their ass to get a good Step 1 score.

The reality is that when schools change from discriminating grading to pass-fail preclinicals, the Step 1 averages do not change.

I don't deny that grades provide extrinsic motivation and are effective in getting people to study. However, I contend that grades don't get people to learn effectively in a way that is more encouraging/positive than discouraging/stressful. Grades de-emphasize the importance of self-regulated learning, the kind that leads to lifelong learning, intellectual enthusiasm, deep learning. You might be the exception when you claim you constantly reviewed for long term retention.

When you get rid of grades, you reward people who have the most internal drive to learn and/or the people who take the most active role in learning. Those people who do well will also do well on Step 1.

How a school grades says much about what it values. Here's what discriminating grading values:
  • individualism over collectivism
  • competition over cooperation
  • external motivation over internal motivation
  • hierarchy over equality
  • performance over true mastery
  • active metacognition over passive and maladaptive learning behaviors
  • material success over self-satisfaction
I'm not saying that these are black and white realities, as if graded schools = cutthroat, because med students tend to enter as altruistic people. Rather it's about what kind of behaviors, attitudes, environments the school care most about promoting during your years of medical school.

This is more speculative, but I would argue that a symptom of the emphasis on external rewards contributes to the phenomenon where people like you, who earned good grades, are driven towards the more lucrative and less altruistic career paths like dermatology.

You guys do realize that it's entirely possible to study the "big picture" stuff or boards-relevant stuff and still honor classes right? All you need to do is fill in the gaps from review books with lecture notes the week before the exam.

Full disclosure: I attend a school that has a H/P/F system.

The reality is that when schools change from discriminating grading to pass-fail preclinicals, the Step 1 averages do not change.

Oh really? You have a citation for that or are you just speculating? I've never heard of this phenomenon before. I guess you can make the argument that your Step 1 score is principally determined by how you, individually, study and approach exam (and that the school you attend plays only a minimal role in determining your score), there wouldn't be any changes as long as the student composition doesn't change drastically. However, even if that were true, that still doesn't argue in favor for or against a particular type of grading system.

I don't deny that grades provide extrinsic motivation and are effective in getting people to study. However, I contend that grades don't get people to learn effectively in a way that is more encouraging/positive than discouraging/stressful. Grades de-emphasize the importance of self-regulated learning, the kind that leads to lifelong learning, intellectual enthusiasm, deep learning. You might be the exception when you claim you constantly reviewed for long term retention.

Yes, because people who aim for a good grade in class generally don't review material multiple times. :rolleyes:

Chances are, if you've made it to med school without developing an "internal drive" for learning, going to a P/F schools vs. a graded system will make absolutely no difference whatsoever. If anything, I'd argue that people in P/F systems are less likely to have a "lifelong learning, intellectual enthusiasm, deep learning" type of mentality -- they only need to do the bare minimum in order to pass. Whereas, if you're in a graded system and want to honor a class, you have go way beyond the bare minimum. Does this lead better Step 1 scores? Who knows? But it looks to me like a student in the latter environment is likely to do more than just study off of board review books.

When you get rid of grades, you reward people who have the most internal drive to learn and/or the people who take the most active role in learning. Those people who do well will also do well on Step 1.

Again, if you want to honor a class, you have to go far beyond the bare minimum. Just reading a board review book is not enough. Multiple people from P/F schools have stated across SDN (even in this thread) that all they do is study for the boards and just barely pass school exams. There's nothing wrong with that, but I would argue that studying only from board review books is not a good example of having the "most internal drive to learn."

How a school grades says much about what it values. Here's what discriminating grading values:

I've not encountered any of these issues in school so far. Everyone works together to make sure everyone understands everything. We share study guides and resources all the time. True mastery is what allows you to perform well on exams. So, I'm not at all sure what you're trying to get at there. No one announces their grades or anything (except for maybe 1 or 2 people), so I don't know about your "material success" argument. Unless you're suggesting that you cannot get self-satisfaction from getting a good grade on an exam? :confused:

What maladaptive behaviors are you talking about? You really think that people at graded systems don't know how to use UpToDate or MedScape or PubMed? That's not something unique to P/F schools. EBM is gaining a lot of traction at schools all over the US.

I'm not saying that these are black and white realities, as if graded schools = cutthroat, because med students tend to enter as altruistic people. Rather it's about what kind of behaviors, attitudes, environments the school care most about promoting during your years of medical school.

Going to a P/F school isn't going to alleviate anything if your administration is the problem. To suggest that schools with a graded system promote competitive and maladaptive behaviors is as silly as saying P/F schools promote an environment of laziness and doing the bare minimum to pass.

This is more speculative, but I would argue that a symptom of the emphasis on external rewards contributes to the phenomenon where people like you, who earned good grades, are driven towards the more lucrative and less altruistic career paths like dermatology.

Yes, because unless you're doing inpatient medicine or surgery, you surely cannot be helping people. And helping people with skin problems, which the whole world can see, is less altruistic than helping the morbidly obese patient who refuses to change dietary habits or stop smoking. :rolleyes:

I don't care for derm as much as the next person, but I don't get this constant denigration of competitive specialties, especially derm. You guys do realize that not all derm is pure cosmetic stuff right? What did you learn in your dermpath class? There are a ridiculous number of diseases that initially present with a skin rash or other derm issue. Surely you can't think that no one could possibly find that diagnostic challenge interesting? Jeez.

Sorry for the derail. I know this didn't add much to whatever Step 1 discussion was going on. Frankly, I'm sick of people from P/F schools acting all superior as if they're the only ones learning medicine "the correct way." Learn how much ever you can and stop worrying so much about what others are doing. It's that simple. Your school's grading system has no influence on your own drive to learn. If you're of the "do the bare minimum to pass" mentality, it won't matter whether you go to a P/F or H/HP/P/F school. You'll do the same thing at both places. If you're a high-achiever who wants the top score in every exam, you'll do the same thing in either system. Most people will find a healthy balance between work and life in either system.

Last edited:
The thing I like about med school is that the focus is on learning and not worrying about specific grades. It isn't worth any energy to fret about. P/F is nice, and would not regret having that system. If I was in a graded school(A/B/C/F), I guess I would have the same mentality. Try to work hard, and not give two ***** if I get "B's" across the board.

There's enough stress in med school and spending energy worrying about pre-clinical grades of all things doesn't make sense. I get that studying to get a 69.5% in every class and not integrating knowledge for your career isn't a good thing. However, being happy to pass classes isn't a bad thing at all. Some people want to aim for the top, which is awesome. I want to aim to be happy and competent, and am ok if the result puts me in the middle of the pack.

Thanks for your perspective. I agree that busting your ass will help you get a good Step 1 score. The question is whether grades are necessary to get people to bust their ass to get a good Step 1 score.

I agree with most of the arguments in this post and I do think P/F is better.

My only problem is the last statement which is pretty dumb. There are not altruistic fields in medicine. There are altruistic people. Trying to judge who is or isn't is worthless. Thinking you are one is also pretentious. If most of your colleagues think you're altruistic that is awesome and to be applauded. If you think you're altruistic you're probably egotistical and guilty of the same things you're accusing the non-altruistic people of being (self-centered).

Oh really? You have a citation for that or are you just speculating? I've never heard of this phenomenon before. I guess you can make the argument that your Step 1 score is principally determined by how you, individually, study and approach exam (and that the school you attend plays only a minimal role in determining your score), there wouldn't be any changes as long as the student composition doesn't change drastically. However, even if that were true, that still doesn't argue in favor for or against a particular type of grading system.

Three citations, from experience at Michigan, Mayo, and UVA:
  • White, C. B. & Fantone, J. C. Pass–fail grading: laying the foundation for self-regulated learning. Advances in Health Sciences Education 15, 469–477 (2009).
  • Rohe, D. E. et al. The benefits of pass-fail grading on stress, mood, and group cohesion in medical students. Mayo Clin. Proc. 81, 1443–1448 (2006).
  • Bloodgood, R. A., Short, J. G., Jackson, J. M. & Martindale, J. R. A change to pass/fail grading in the first two years at one medical school results in improved psychological well-being. Acad Med 84, 655–662 (2009).

Yes, I am aware that this evidence is not an argument in favor of pass-fail. It's simply to counter the suggestions of grading proponents that grading is necessary for step 1 performance.

Yes, because people who aim for a good grade in class generally don't review material multiple times. :rolleyes:
Many people find cramming to suffice.

If anything, I'd argue that people in P/F systems are less likely to have a "lifelong learning, intellectual enthusiasm, deep learning" type of mentality -- they only need to do the bare minimum in order to pass.
The evidence doesn't support this. After changing to pass-fail, there are generally few significant differences in exam grades. Citation: the above three papers plus another one from Michigan when it only changed its first year to pass-fail: Robins, L. S. et al. The effect of pass/fail grading and weekly quizzes on first-year students' performances and satisfaction. Acad Med 70, 327–329 (1995). In these papers, the authors indicate that exam averages were 1) roughly the same as before, 2) well above passing, and, from the old Michigan paper, 3) "higher cumulative pre-final scores did not predict lower, "just passing" achievement on final examinations." As you suggest, most people in medical school have a good amount of internal drive, and the maintenance of course scores under pass-fail regimes reflects that reality. Again, this isn't an argument for pass-fail per se, just that pass-fail doesn't cause students to perform worse.

I would argue that studying only from board review books is not a good example of having the "most internal drive to learn."

That's a reasonable argument. I think about it this way. Step 1 provides a kind of external motivation that is a scaffold for students' intrinsic motivation. If you're studying review books first semester of first year, your exam date is too far off for someone who is purely externally motivated to really care. Someone who is not self-regulated will procrastinate because the rewards of studying now are far off and uncertain. Grading proponents typically say that grades are a necessary kick in the rear to stay on track for step 1. However, someone who is good at self-regulated learning will be able to stay on track without having to rely on grades for continuous external regulation.

I've not encountered any of these issues in school so far. Everyone works together to make sure everyone understands everything. We share study guides and resources all the time.

This is a claim that's hard to quantify. There are as many people at P/F schools that claim that they would surely be more competitive with grading, and that their friends at graded schools experience more competition. There are no real studies yet on the effect of pass/fail on perceived competition. However, it would be very reasonable to hypothesize that discriminating grading causes students to be more likely to 1) perceive the goal of academic experiences to be performance oriented, 2) perceive the goal of assessment to be stratification, and 3) measure their own achievement by that of others.

True mastery is what allows you to perform well on exams. So, I'm not at all sure what you're trying to get at there.

I disagree. A master of the most important information covered in course won't perform well on exams if the exams test 1) trivia of biomedical knowledge, or 2) nuances specific to the manner in which material is presented in course materials/lecture/old exams. I've had tons of exam questions on biochemical trivia. I've had questions that asked, essentially, about a weird metaphor or example made during lecture, which requires rote memory of lecture contents rather than the material per se. Conversely, someone who performs well on exams is not necessary a true master if she has a superficial understanding or short-term retention. There are plenty of ways to do this, like memorizing old exams from which the professor recycles or adapts questions.

No one announces their grades or anything (except for maybe 1 or 2 people), so I don't know about your "material success" argument. Unless you're suggesting that you cannot get self-satisfaction from getting a good grade on an exam? :confused:
Material success is deriving satisfaction from the grade in itself, rather than from the knowledge that you have understood new concepts or mastered new skills. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but they are competing values.

What maladaptive behaviors are you talking about? You really think that people at graded systems don't know how to use UpToDate or MedScape or PubMed? That's not something unique to P/F schools. EBM is gaining a lot of traction at schools all over the US.
Nothing specific like that. I mean more like procrastination, not reviewing the questions you get wrong on an exam (if those concepts tested are worthwhile), not participating because you're afraid of looking stupid, avoidance of seeking academic help. Before you say that graded students would be more likely to seek help (which I don't know is true), let me make a related observation that at a graded school that 1) students' perceptions that their academic structures aim for mastery/competence DECREASED from first to second year, that 2) perceptions of mastery goal structures were significantly negatively correlated with procrastination and avoidance of help seeking. Source: Artino, A. R. et al. Achievement Goal Structures and Self-Regulated Learning. Academic Medicine 87, 1375–1381 (2012).

Going to a P/F school isn't going to alleviate anything if your administration is the problem. To suggest that schools with a graded system promote competitive and maladaptive behaviors is as silly as saying P/F schools promote an environment of laziness and doing the bare minimum to pass.

You're right, kind of. There are no studies of whether medical school grading promotes competitive and maladaptive behaviors. However, it is sillier to say P/F schools promote an environment of laziness and doing the bare minimum, because of the aforementioned evidence of academic outcomes not being compromised after moving to pass-fail. I'm just saying philosophically, grading is incongruent with promoting cooperation but P/F is consistent with learning (because of other sources of motivation to learn).

Yes, because unless you're doing inpatient medicine or surgery, you surely cannot be helping people. And helping people with skin problems, which the whole world can see, is less altruistic than helping the morbidly obese patient who refuses to change dietary habits or stop smoking. :rolleyes:

I don't care for derm as much as the next person, but I don't get this constant denigration of competitive specialties, especially derm. You guys do realize that not all derm is pure cosmetic stuff right? What did you learn in your dermpath class? There are a ridiculous number of diseases that initially present with a skin rash or other derm issue. Surely you can't think that no one could possibly find that diagnostic challenge interesting? Jeez.

Let me clarify before you strawman and hyperbolize my statement to oblivion. I did not mean that all dermatologists are less altruistic than inpatient internists or surgeons. Dermatologists help people in ways that are very important. I was speculating that lots of people who do well during medical school are only then drawn towards the lifestyle-friendly and lucrative specialties. Because they can get in and the prestige/wealth/comfort associated seems consistent with the high grades that they and those specialties value. You probably get more people like the above poster who said he didn't like sick patients. In spite of their reasons for entering medical school in the first place, which was likely more altruistically-motivated, or in spite of their initial specialty interests. I don't want to make too much of this point because I'm not at all confident that it's causal. It's just an interesting way to conceptualize two phenomena related to extrinsic motivation.

Frankly, I'm sick of people from P/F schools acting all superior as if they're the only ones learning medicine "the correct way." Learn how much ever you can and stop worrying so much about what others are doing. It's that simple. Your school's grading system has no influence on your own drive to learn. If you're of the "do the bare minimum to pass" mentality, it won't matter whether you go to a P/F or H/HP/P/F school. You'll do the same thing at both places. If you're a high-achiever who wants the top score in every exam, you'll do the same thing in either system.

I'm sorry you don't feel like your medical education has any impact on you besides a transfer of knowledge and technical skills. I tend to think medical education is a process of socialization into a culture, one that can deeply affect your attitudes, beliefs, motivations, and well-being.

double_facepalm.jpg

I disagree. A master of the most important information covered in course won't perform well on exams if the exams test 1) trivia of biomedical knowledge, or 2) nuances specific to the manner in which material is presented in course materials/lecture/old exams. I've had tons of exam questions on biochemical trivia. I've had questions that asked, essentially, about a weird metaphor or example made during lecture, which requires rote memory of lecture contents rather than the material per se. Conversely, someone who performs well on exams is not necessary a true master if she has a superficial understanding or short-term retention. There are plenty of ways to do this, like memorizing old exams from which the professor recycles or adapts questions..

I agree with most of your other arguments, but this requires special emphasis. Being able to regurgitate reams of facts, though useful, do not in anyway suggest mastery or an integrated conceptual understanding of material. A student might able to memorize the details behind osteoclast activity or methylmalonic acidemia and associated mechanisms. However the introduction of an external but relevant information with sufficient background might throw off a rote memorizer without integrated/conceptual understanding. Unfortunately most exams test rote memorization. Nevertheless, rote memorization and knowledge of clinical heuristics is usually sufficient for competent medical practice, but may be insufficient if one plans to push the field forward through research/innovation.

The arguments on other aspects of this discussion re grade and academic motivation have some merits. Still, most medical students are intrinsically motivated enough for grades not to be a significant motivator. In some ways, an argument can be made that grades might actually detract from learning. Getting the 70% passing score still requires a lot of studying by the way. I believe Vanderbilt is P/F yet wields one of the highest step I scores in the nation.

I agree with most of your other arguments, but this requires special emphasis. Being able to regurgitate reams of facts, though useful, do not in anyway suggest mastery or an integrated conceptual understanding of material. A student might able to memorize the details behind osteoclast activity or methylmalonic acidemia and associated mechanisms. However the introduction of an external but relevant information with sufficient background might throw off a rote memorizer without integrated/conceptual understanding. Unfortunately most exams test rote memorization. Nevertheless, rote memorization and knowledge of clinical heuristics is usually sufficient for competent medical practice, but may be insufficient if one plans to push the field forward through research/innovation.

The arguments on other aspects of this discussion re grade and academic motivation have some merits. Still, most medical students are intrinsically motivated enough for grades not to be a significant motivator. In some ways, an argument can be made that grades might actually detract from learning. Getting the 70% passing score still requires a lot of studying by the way. I believe Vanderbilt is P/F yet wields one of the highest step I scores in the nation.

I couldn't agree more. However, this kind of information that further elucidates a topic is oftentimes not the information that is presented to the students by the professors. It is more oftentimes, some random factoid that has absolutely no relevance to anything and is just an additional thing for rote memorizers to memorize and get right on the test. I find myself going to Robbin's a lot because I want a deeper understanding of a disease's pathogenesis because of this exact reason.

I find the false dichotomy (you either do well on the test because you memorized a ton of details without understanding or you do average on the test but have a better picture of the entire pathophysiology) hilariously misinformed.

Believe it or not, a lot of the kids that are smacking exams out of the park in your classes aren't just doing so by rote memorization. A good number of them (at least, in my school) were delving deeper than most as well, going to Robbins or other more "primary" sources to get a better understanding. To some extent, depending on how your school structures exams, simply memorizing facts/details will not get you honors in the course. Being able to tie together the various concepts (often spread throughout various lectures) into a coherent system is one of the bigger challenges, and one that I definitely felt the more successful students were able to do better.

I realize it helps some people feel better about their performances if they can incorrectly try to categorize the high achievers as simply fact-memorizers, but the fact of the matter is at least a good portion of them not only remember the silly pointless minutiae better than you, but also have a better and more rich understanding of the foundations upon which all the minutiae stand. But if it helps you sleep at night, then by all means keep telling yourself that all the honors kids are missing the forest for the trees.

I find the false dichotomy (you either do well on the test because you memorized a ton of details without understanding or you do average on the test but have a better picture of the entire pathophysiology) hilariously misinformed.

Believe it or not, a lot of the kids that are smacking exams out of the park in your classes aren't just doing so by rote memorization. A good number of them (at least, in my school) were delving deeper than most as well, going to Robbins or other more "primary" sources to get a better understanding. To some extent, depending on how your school structures exams, simply memorizing facts/details will not get you honors in the course. Being able to tie together the various concepts (often spread throughout various lectures) into a coherent system is one of the bigger challenges, and one that I definitely felt the more successful students were able to do better.

I realize it helps some people feel better about their performances if they can incorrectly try to categorize the high achievers as simply fact-memorizers, but the fact of the matter is at least a good portion of them not only remember the silly pointless minutiae better than you, but also have a better and more rich understanding of the foundations upon which all the minutiae stand. But if it helps you sleep at night, then by all means keep telling yourself that all the honors kids are missing the forest for the trees.

I think it depends a lot on the school. I would normally agree with you but I've heard some of the supposed top performers at our school say things like diabetes type 1 automatically turns into type 2 after a period of time. Ask them a question that requires putting things together/something that isn't rote memorization and you get a blank stare.

I also don't think it's either or. I think it's a mix. I think there's definitely some high achieving students that understand the concepts in detail, but not all of them. I'm above average in my class, but it does seem random how I do on a test. Some tests I do really well on, but I don't feel I had a great understanding on, and other classes where I could teach the material yet the exams weren't reflective of the material being taught. I will also say though, that we have a wide number of lecturers per class so trying to pin down what types of questions will be asked is quite difficult.

I was at another school before where I was a top performer and at that school I did feel the exams were fair and reflective of understanding the material. But you have to admit courses like histo don't lend itself to deep understanding necessarily - it's more about recognition and memorization. Physio required deeper understanding. So class and school dependent imo.

Three citations, from experience at Michigan, Mayo, and UVA:
  • White, C. B. & Fantone, J. C. Pass–fail grading: laying the foundation for self-regulated learning. Advances in Health Sciences Education 15, 469–477 (2009).
  • Rohe, D. E. et al. The benefits of pass-fail grading on stress, mood, and group cohesion in medical students. Mayo Clin. Proc. 81, 1443–1448 (2006).
  • Bloodgood, R. A., Short, J. G., Jackson, J. M. & Martindale, J. R. A change to pass/fail grading in the first two years at one medical school results in improved psychological well-being. Acad Med 84, 655–662 (2009).

Thanks for the citations. I only briefly skimmed through the articles (studying for finals kinda prevents me from spending more time on them at the moment), but I think one of them stated something in its discussion along the lines of students making a conscious choice (in the P/F) program to either aim to do really well and aim to just pass. And the students who aimed to do really well had similar findings as the graded system students. This comes back to what I was saying in my previous post -- no matter what system you're in, if you're a particular type of student (ex. high-achiever), you will do the same thing no matter where you go.

Besides that, I won't address any of the shortcomings of the papers, including being single-institution, comparing different years' students, using surveys, etc.

Yes, I am aware that this evidence is not an argument in favor of pass-fail. It's simply to counter the suggestions of grading proponents that grading is necessary for step 1 performance.

And I would argue that the approach to Step 1 is quite different from the approach to classes. You can do poorly in class and do well on Step 1 or you can do really well in class and still do well on Step 1. And vice versa. This, again, has very little to do with the school's curriculum or grading system. It comes down to the individual student and their study habits.

Many people find cramming to suffice.

This is stupid. Cramming isn't restricted to schools with a grading system or people who want to do well on an exam. Especially considering the number of excellent resources we have at our fingertips (ex. Pathoma, Gojan, etc), I would be willing to bet that most people in med school get the "big picture" just fine.

The evidence doesn't support this. After changing to pass-fail, there are generally few significant differences in exam grades. Citation: the above three papers plus another one from Michigan when it only changed its first year to pass-fail: Robins, L. S. et al. The effect of pass/fail grading and weekly quizzes on first-year students’ performances and satisfaction. Acad Med 70, 327–329 (1995). In these papers, the authors indicate that exam averages were 1) roughly the same as before, 2) well above passing, and, from the old Michigan paper, 3) "higher cumulative pre-final scores did not predict lower, "just passing" achievement on final examinations." As you suggest, most people in medical school have a good amount of internal drive, and the maintenance of course scores under pass-fail regimes reflects that reality. Again, this isn't an argument for pass-fail per se, just that pass-fail doesn't cause students to perform worse.

Haven't looked at the paper, so I'll refrain from commenting. Again, just to point out, there are multiple limitations of this study as well, especially using a survey to assess satisfaction.

That's a reasonable argument. I think about it this way. Step 1 provides a kind of external motivation that is a scaffold for students' intrinsic motivation. If you're studying review books first semester of first year, your exam date is too far off for someone who is purely externally motivated to really care. Someone who is not self-regulated will procrastinate because the rewards of studying now are far off and uncertain. Grading proponents typically say that grades are a necessary kick in the rear to stay on track for step 1. However, someone who is good at self-regulated learning will be able to stay on track without having to rely on grades for continuous external regulation.

Now I'm confused. Wasn't one of your arguments earlier that P/F schools value internal motivation while graded systems value external motivation (that whole internal vs. external thing you had on your list). Now, you're arguing that external motivation is good? How is using wanting to do well on Step 1 as an external motivation not the same as using wanting to do well on an upcoming exam as an external motivation?

Knowing that Step 1 is coming up is a kick in the rear for most students to stay on track, whether there are graded exams along the way or not. You say that someone who is "not self-regulated (I still don't understand what the heck that really means) will procrastinate because the rewards of studying now are far off and uncertain" -- um, isn't that describing P/F schools where the only thing that matters is Step 1, which comes at the end of two years, compared to graded systems with frequent exams? Who's more likely to procrastinate -- someone who doesn't have to really worry about anything for two years or someone who has graded exams coming up every month? I would argue it's the former.

This is a claim that's hard to quantify. There are as many people at P/F schools that claim that they would surely be more competitive with grading, and that their friends at graded schools experience more competition. There are no real studies yet on the effect of pass/fail on perceived competition. However, it would be very reasonable to hypothesize that discriminating grading causes students to be more likely to 1) perceive the goal of academic experiences to be performance oriented, 2) perceive the goal of assessment to be stratification, and 3) measure their own achievement by that of others.

No. Just no.

I disagree. A master of the most important information covered in course won't perform well on exams if the exams test 1) trivia of biomedical knowledge, or 2) nuances specific to the manner in which material is presented in course materials/lecture/old exams. I've had tons of exam questions on biochemical trivia. I've had questions that asked, essentially, about a weird metaphor or example made during lecture, which requires rote memory of lecture contents rather than the material per se. Conversely, someone who performs well on exams is not necessary a true master if she has a superficial understanding or short-term retention. There are plenty of ways to do this, like memorizing old exams from which the professor recycles or adapts questions.

Then you and I have different definitions of what true mastery means.

Also, why the heck are you making things black and white? Why can you ONLY understand the concepts or ONLY memorize minutiae without knowing concepts? That's a very idiotic way to look at things. You can definitely have a solid conceptual understanding of a topic AND memorize minutiae along the way. There are a ridiculous number of resources in existence that make understanding the "big picture" pretty easy actually. I would argue that the top scorers in my class understand the big picture just fine (if not better than others) and know more minutiae than the average scorers. I'm sorry if you go to a school where there's such a dichotomy that you either understand the conceptual basis of something or you only memorize and regurgitate. That's something your school needs to address. And it is not generalizeable to all schools.

Material success is deriving satisfaction from the grade in itself, rather than from the knowledge that you have understood new concepts or mastered new skills. The two aren't mutually exclusive, but they are competing values.

With that logic, isn't doing well on Step 1 "material success?" Again, Step 1 is an exam. How is it any different to want to do well on Step 1 vs. an in-class exam? Isn't that what the people attending P/F schools focus on?

Nothing specific like that. I mean more like procrastination, not reviewing the questions you get wrong on an exam (if those concepts tested are worthwhile), not participating because you're afraid of looking stupid, avoidance of seeking academic help. Before you say that graded students would be more likely to seek help (which I don't know is true), let me make a related observation that at a graded school that 1) students' perceptions that their academic structures aim for mastery/competence DECREASED from first to second year, that 2) perceptions of mastery goal structures were significantly negatively correlated with procrastination and avoidance of help seeking. Source: Artino, A. R. et al. Achievement Goal Structures and Self-Regulated Learning. Academic Medicine 87, 1375–1381 (2012).

Again, you seem to think that things like procrastination are limited to only graded systems. That's not true at all! Procrastination is rampant everywhere. All I have to do is ask my friends who attend P/F schools (with internal ranking, though) and they have pretty much the same class profile as my school does -- some people who want to do well in everything, some people who want to do the bare minimum, and most people who're somewhere in between.

Thanks for the study/survey. I'll consider it more seriously when larger-scale studies come out confirming this. At the moment, there isn't convincing evidence that one system is "better" than the other.

You're right, kind of. There are no studies of whether medical school grading promotes competitive and maladaptive behaviors. However, it is sillier to say P/F schools promote an environment of laziness and doing the bare minimum, because of the aforementioned evidence of academic outcomes not being compromised after moving to pass-fail. I'm just saying philosophically, grading is incongruent with promoting cooperation but P/F is consistent with learning (because of other sources of motivation to learn).

No, it's just as silly as saying that graded schools promote competitive and maladaptive behavior.

Let me clarify before you strawman and hyperbolize my statement to oblivion. I did not mean that all dermatologists are less altruistic than inpatient internists or surgeons. Dermatologists help people in ways that are very important. I was speculating that lots of people who do well during medical school are only then drawn towards the lifestyle-friendly and lucrative specialties. Because they can get in and the prestige/wealth/comfort associated seems consistent with the high grades that they and those specialties value. You probably get more people like the above poster who said he didn't like sick patients. In spite of their reasons for entering medical school in the first place, which was likely more altruistically-motivated, or in spite of their initial specialty interests. I don't want to make too much of this point because I'm not at all confident that it's causal. It's just an interesting way to conceptualize two phenomena related to extrinsic motivation.

Thanks for reiterating that you don't think derm is an altruistic field :)rolleyes:). At least, not as altruistic a field as whatever you're planning on going into.

You have no idea what motivates people to come to med school, let alone decide which field they want to pursue.

I'm sorry you don't feel like your medical education has any impact on you besides a transfer of knowledge and technical skills. I tend to think medical education is a process of socialization into a culture, one that can deeply affect your attitudes, beliefs, motivations, and well-being.

Please. The preclinical years of med school are the exact same as everything else in college so far. Yea, there's more material, but that's really about it. Still do the same exact things: study, take exams, hang out with friends, watch football, etc. What's there in the first two years that can "deeply affect your attitudes, beliefs, motivations, and well-being?" From glancing at your MDApps, you're in the first semester of M1 year -- I honestly don't know what you can say has significantly changed you as a person during the course of this one semester.

I'm sure the clinical years will certainly impact me more deeply, but we're talking about preclinical years here. And you can stop being so pretentious. There's no need to justify why you went to a P/F school or denigrate others who attend a graded system. Again, like I previously mentioned, focus on yourself and stop worrying so much about what others are doing.

Seriously! I don't anyone who's at the top of the class and doesn't understand the concepts. They're the ones leading review sessions, tutoring underclassmen, etc.

I think it depends a lot on the school. I would normally agree with you but I've heard some of the supposed top performers at our school say things like diabetes type 1 automatically turns into type 2 after a period of time. Ask them a question that requires putting things together/something that isn't rote memorization and you get a blank stare.

I also don't think it's either or. I think it's a mix. I think there's definitely some high achieving students that understand the concepts in detail, but not all of them. I'm above average in my class, but it does seem random how I do on a test. Some tests I do really well on, but I don't feel I had a great understanding on, and other classes where I could teach the material yet the exams weren't reflective of the material being taught. I will also say though, that we have a wide number of lecturers per class so trying to pin down what types of questions will be asked is quite difficult.

I was at another school before where I was a top performer and at that school I did feel the exams were fair and reflective of understanding the material. But you have to admit courses like histo don't lend itself to deep understanding necessarily - it's more about recognition and memorization. Physio required deeper understanding. So class and school dependent imo.

I agree with your bolded. The only thing I would change is the word "some" to "most." It's hard to do really well on exams without knowing both the big picture AND the minutiae. At least, that's the way it is at my school.

You're 3 months into first year, give it a rest.

I'm sure that was an exaggerated analogy haha.

It's just med school. Not a cult :eek:

This.

I think it's ridiculous to make broad generalizations about someone's abilities and motivations by someone's grades or by the grading system the school uses.

We get it. You hate memorizing minutiae. So does everyone. First year is particularly bad. But doing so doesn't mean you miss the major concepts. And much of it is more relevant than you may believe, both for step 1 and clinical practice.