Stressed First Year Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
repetition, repetition, repetition is what the upperclassmen tell me

Do they just keep repeating it?

Bot it's true for me. Some of my classmates do outlines, flash cards, and review packets. I just read the material a few times and perhaps write down or draw a few things I'm struggling with. I'm doing well in my class so it must be working.

I always refer to BRS for practice questions a few days before an exam.

Members don't see this ad.

the problem is there is a LOT of material and we have a block exam with 6 subjects all in 1 morning....so I have time to repeat/review each lecture/powerpoint about 2-3 times

Members don't see this ad :)
the problem is there is a LOT of material and we have a block exam with 6 subjects all in 1 morning....so I have time to repeat/review each lecture/powerpoint about 2-3 times

So does everyone else, welcome to medical school

most everyone gets the hang of it.. it's all repetition is right. read the material as many times as you can.

first time through, just try and get big picture, and dont even look at tiny details, and don't spend a ton of time reading it. second time try and fill in the gaps. third time hammer it home.

or if that doesn't work, just cram like hell the night before every exam like many of us end up doing. :D

even with reading it 2-3 times, I still tend to get mixed grades ranging from a few Bs to mostly Cs...since most of our exams for each class are out of like 30 points so if you miss more than 3, your down to a B...tis life I guess

Last edited:
even with reading it 2-3 times, I still tend to get mixed grades ranging from a few Bs to mostly Cs...since most of our exams for each class are out of like 30 points so if you miss more than 3, your down to a B...tis life I guess

I feel like I have to go over the material many, many times in order to keep concepts straight and to remember the details. I've always found well-made flashcards for the most part help me to recall material about a particular subject better than just studying by "glancing" over the power points. That way during a test, if I see, for example, the various cells of the immune system, I know everything about them and it just flips in my head like I'm reading a flashcard. But I have to go over them numerous times to get them solid in my brain.

UPDATE: I didn't fail any one of the six exams on the last block exam so that's good haha, slowly but surely improving...getting a 90 and toss in a few B's;)

Ortho surgery I'm coming haha no way...

Don't stress out too much, focus on finding what works for you study wise. You are still VERY early in your education. You can turn things around. Pre-clinical grades aren't of much importance. If you get good board scores, LORs, Audition rotations, and Clinical grades, there is no reason why you couldnt do any of those. Your focus your first two years should be passing and rocking boards.

Hey guys,

In the same boat as an OMS1. Are competitive specialties off the map if you do end up failing one system? Anatomy was very rough for me.

Hey guys,

In the same boat as an OMS1. Are competitive specialties off the map if you do end up failing one system? Anatomy was very rough for me.

If you dramatically improve and do very well on every other aspect of your application, you could still have a shot at low tier programs in a competitive specialty.

I wonder how many threads exist on SDN titled "Stressed/Tired/Lonely/Sad/Cold/Hungry/Depressed/Regretful/Scared.... First Year Student"

I'm actually a second year student now and I'm still...

Stressed/Tired/Lonely/Sad/Cold/Hungry/Depressed/Regretful/Scared

but I'm getting more used to it I guess...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ladies and gentleman, I have 1 more semester left for second year and I'm done with the classroom! I don't know how it happened but I have passed all my classes so far!! I have gotten mostly C's but the important thing is I have no F's and no remediation. Just wanted to update people in case they were wondering:)

Ladies and gentleman, I have 1 more semester left for second year and I'm done with the classroom! I don't know how it happened but I have passed all my classes so far!! I have gotten mostly C's but the important thing is I have no F's and no remediation. Just wanted to update people in case they were wondering:)
So, then that means boards are coming up. I would think, the number one way to offset mediocre classroom scores would be by rocking COMLEX1.

In my residency program we don't give two ****s about first year grades. If you have a whopping Level 1 score, all doors open.

Ill qualify this by saying that in my residency program, the residents pick the next class....not the program director.

Hope you've been studying!

So, then that means boards are coming up. I would think, the number one way to offset mediocre classroom scores would be by rocking COMLEX1.

In my residency program we don't give two ****s about first year grades. If you have a whopping Level 1 score, all doors open.

Ill qualify this by saying that in my residency program, the residents pick the next class....not the program director.

Hope you've been studying!

What if you had to remediate a class? How is that viewed? Additionally, what do you look for besides level 1 and rotation experience with students?

What if you had to remediate a class? How is that viewed? Additionally, what do you look for besides level 1 and rotation experience with students?

Ill not lie. I will say we would probably catch a remediation. If you had to remediate a class we would expect you to do even better on boards. That's to say if you came in with a 705 without a remediation versus someone with a 715 that had to remediate a class, the first guy would win

Medical school grades are overrated, as long as you are passing you should not stress out. Take a board review course during your summer break after first year. That can help.

Ill not lie. I will say we would probably catch a remediation. If you had to remediate a class we would expect you to do even better on boards. That's to say if you came in with a 705 without a remediation versus someone with a 715 that had to remediate a class, the first guy would win

Dang that sucks...is that for matching or landing an interview? Or even getting a chance to rotate? Isn't the 4th year rotation performance most important in DO world?

Dang that sucks...is that for matching or landing an interview? Or even getting a chance to rotate? Isn't the 4th year rotation performance most important in DO world?
We only "interview" people that rotate with us.

I'm a second year student and planning on taking COMLEX in late July....any advice or tips? I have First Aid 2013, Savarese OMT book, and Kaplan COMLEX books as well as Kaplan Qbank. I will be buying UWorld or COMBANK in May to use from May-July.

I can't deal with my stress! when i get stressed i feel asleep and i can't control it, i fell to a deep sleep and don't want to wake up! that's really bad most of times i'm overslept for my exams!

I can't deal with my stress! when i get stressed i feel asleep and i can't control it, i fell to a deep sleep and don't want to wake up! that's really bad most of times i'm overslept for my exams!

Look into stress induced narcolepsy if it really is uncontrollable. You may want to consult your physician about it, because it may adversely affect especially during exams, etc.

I understand that pre-clinical grades are barely looked at for residency. But doesn't grades correlate with board performance?

I mean if you work your butt off to get the best grades possible, wouldn't you already be better off during board prep than those who just settled for C's all throughout the 4 semesters?

I understand that pre-clinical grades are barely looked at for residency. But doesn't grades correlate with board performance?

I mean if you work your butt off to get the best grades possible, wouldn't you already be better off during board prep than those who just settled for C's all throughout the 4 semesters?
I think that's a given. Then again, some ppl can test well with very little information retained.

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

UPDATE: I passed all my classes second year too!!! Now it's 10 weeks of COMLEX Level 1 prep...wish me luck, I will need it! (But, I'm happy to be done with classes forever and cannot believe I passed everything in first 2 years of medical school!)

Reactions: 3 users
UPDATE: I passed all my classes second year too!!! Now it's 10 weeks of COMLEX Level 1 prep...wish me luck, I will need it! (But, I'm happy to be done with classes forever and cannot believe I passed everything in first 2 years of medical school!)

I am kind of sad that I am not going to see many of my classmates again from first and second year.

yeah it is sad since many of us are moving to different states for 3rd year rotations...It's like a new adventure all over again, but we will all reunite in May 2016 for graduation, that is if we survive Step I and pass and many of us are stressed about that....

yeah it is sad since many of us are moving to different states for 3rd year rotations...It's like a new adventure all over again, but we will all reunite in May 2016 for graduation, that is if we survive Step I and pass and many of us are stressed about that....

This is one of the major downsides of DO schools, many students often rotate far away from where they completed the basic sciences, and basically never see anyone from the first two years once in the clinical phase. I think this creates a disconnect. Its kind of like entering the phase between college and the cold dark real world but only this time you are doing it two years before you graduate.

The sad part of this is becoming a stressed out third year retaking boards and having to make up rotations....

Oh well I won't give up. I will overcome this battle too God willing with some hard work and dedication:/

Don't worry too much about it. First and second year grades don't count too much. I think you just have to find your study groove. And the specialties you are interested in are not too competitive.

I'll give you some hints on how I got through first year without too much problem:

- skip classes
- get notes from a buddy
- study the notes
- do practice questions <-- this is key

Anyways, I wrote a bit about study strategies which you can find here:

http://www.medicalschoolsuccess.com/studying-in-medical-school/

I was actually reading your blog and I stumbled across this paragraph:

"The first year of medical school was amazing. I don’t know if it was just my medical school, but I really enjoyed it. It felt like college: lots of excitement, lots of new people, and very little work"

Pretty surprised that you thought 1st year was very little work. You mean in relative terms right?

That's not my blog because first semester med school was tough for most people especially those that find anatomy lab and those practicals with dissection difficult. Maybe his school didn't have a big focus on lab.

Go out and rent Thor the Dark World, that is what its like to be a Third year DO student.

The sad part of this is becoming a stressed out third year retaking boards and having to make up rotations....

Oh well I won't give up. I will overcome this battle too God willing with some hard work and dedication:/

I have a friend/classmate that had to remediate an M1 course, struggled in others, failed COMLEX-1, and still got offered an AOA pre-match spot or two in FM. It's all good because FM is what he wanted from the beginning, but I write that to help you realize that as long as you get through, everything should work out fine.

I never failed, was in top 25% M1,M2, got good board scores, and ultimately decided to apply for FM anyway. It's a sweet field that can really give you a lot of variety and procedures etc.

Not that you brought FM up, but if anyone tells you there's always FM like its some kind of consolation prize for graduating med-school keep your head up, because FM is awesome!

Thanks for the encouragement but although I passed all my classes first 2 years, I failed Level 1 twice and am studying for my final attempt...

I know it's possible and millions have done it before me but some days it's just hard to have motivation or determination especially when it seems like everyone around you is moving on and you're stuck studying for the same exam.

I actual love family medicine and that was my preference but since I failed twice, who knows what will happen.

It's funny how you can plan all you want but life always has different plans for you.

Last edited:
Also what do you mean "got offered a spot" pre-match? I thought you apply to programs, then interview, then submit a rank list and if the program doesn't rank you, you have to scramble or don't match.

Thanks for the encouragement but although I passed all my classes first 2 years, I failed Level 1 twice and am studying for my final attempt...

I know it's possible and millions have done it before me but some days it's just hard to have motivation or determination especially when it seems like everyone around you is moving on and you're stuck studying for the same exam.

I actual love family medicine and that was my preference but since I failed twice, I wil settle for psych too....

It's funny how you can plan all you want but life always has different plans for you.
Good luck! I look forward to your update when you pass COMLEX!

So I just had a few questions...I'm a OMS I and my grades are terrible. I have B's and mostly C's. I'm pretty sure I'm ranked in the bottom 25% of the class. Although, I do have leadership roles/community service, but I'm not sure if that matters.

The problem is I'm still learning to adjust and modify my study habits and getting used to the massive amounts of information we have to learn. Any advice?

Also, I was interested in the following specialties: anesthesia, neurology, PMR, internal medicine. Based on my grades, which should I stop aiming for as I don't want to lower my expectations, but I want to be realistic. Any feedback?

Your school should have a counselor who helps students with emotional and stress problems, see them ASAP. If you get a break, go on a vacation somewhere. Getting away is a good idea too, maybe seeing family or some friends from home.

I actual love family medicine and that was my preference but since I failed twice, I wil settle for psych too....

FM and Psych are comparable in competitiveness. If you pass COMLEX please don't "settle" for psych

Reactions: 5 users
I find it amusing that you will "settle" for psych after passing level 1 on your third attempt; I personally have a 700+ on level 1 and would seriously contemplate leaving the medical field if I can't get a psych spot (1st choice: chicago, 2nd choice: Houston, Texas, 3rd choice: anywhere in america)

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure you will match, but regardless I think it's silly to contemplate leaving the medical field just because you don't get your specialty of choice (especially after 4 years of debt and learning/sacrifice)...Don't most people just take a transitional year or a year off if they don't get the specialty of their choice and I'm sure hundreds of people match into any specialty they can. Good luck to you though!

I apologize for my earlier statement as it was dumbfounded and I'm just screwed. I mean I struggled first 2 years so I should have known better than think my life would turn out well:/ It's just disappointing passing all my classes (barely for some) and then having to start another career or take another job, but I guess it's not meant to be for everyone.

Last edited:
I'm sure you will match, but regardless I think it's silly to contemplate leaving the medical field just because you don't get your specialty of choice (especially after 4 years of debt and learning/sacrifice)...Don't most people just take a transitional year or a year off if they don't get the specialty of their choice and I'm sure hundreds of people match into any specialty they can. Good luck to you though!

I apologize for my earlier statement as it was dumbfounded and I'm just screwed. I mean I struggled first 2 years so I should have known better than think my life would turn out well:/ It's just disappointing passing all my classes (barely for some) and then having to start another career or take another job, but I guess it's not meant to be for everyone.

Were you dismissed or are just expecting not to pass Level 1 on the next attempt?

No matter what happens, good luck. I hope it works out for the best.

Are you doing anything differently this time? Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm thinking about getting a job in the lab...there are limited options as a biology major....There was no point of retaking when I failed twice because I wasn't going to get a residency since my grades were mostly C's, bottom of the class rank and 2 Level 1 failures sealed my fate.

I'm thinking about getting a job in the lab...there are limited options as a biology major....There was no point of retaking when I failed twice because I wasn't going to get a residency since my grades were mostly C's, bottom of the class rank and 2 Level 1 failures sealed my fate.
Congrats.

This is literally the dumbest thing I've read today.

Are you still enrolled? If so, why are you throwing all this away? You passed all your classes, which some people couldn't do. You might as well take advantage of the 3-strike rule and the 6-year limit.

Reactions: 3 users

I think this is a troll thread bc this is just completely and utterly wrong. Idk what you wanted to do, but there are still many fields open to you. Work hard and pass COMLEX. Family Medicine, Psych, Peds, and maybe Internal Med are still wide open. It's silly to think about quitting now.

I also think it's funny that you say it would be silly to leave medicine if someone couldn't get their desired field (which I personally would do) yet here you are talking about leaving medicine bc you can't pass a board exam?

Cmon Man

Edit:
Question: you know what they call the guy who graduates last in his med school class?

Answer: Doctor

Reactions: 2 users

This is a huge mistake. Every year there are programs that don't fill in FM (as well as almost 100 TRI positions). Granted they aren't the best, but if you want training, you could get it. On top of that, even as a DO with only a TRI, you'd have more job prospects and a much higher salary than if you just gave up right now.

Listen, you need to buckle down, get motivated, spend as much time as you possibly can studying for the COMLEX. Take it when you're sure you'll pass, and move forward. Literally, the worst case scenario is that you fail again and are out $600 (a drop in the bucket compared to how much you've already spent).

Have you tried review courses? What do the diagnostic exams put you at?

Wow, this thread is depressing. Hang in there OP, don't quit.

Also what do you mean "got offered a spot" pre-match? I thought you apply to programs, then interview, then submit a rank list and if the program doesn't rank you, you have to scramble or don't match.

In the AOA system, programs can apparently offer "pre-match" spots to people they what to try and lock down before the match begins. It means they have less spots for the match, but if they really really want someone then they can try and get them with a guarantee.

Don't quit, you can match somewhere as long as you graduate. Quitting before being forced out is the worst possible decision you could make at this point.

Last edited: