Stressed for the OAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tanvi13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was planning on applying for the upcoming Fall 2017 but I'm not too sure anymore. I've been taking Practice Kaplan tests and been studying for the last 4 months for the OAT but I haven't made any improvements. Any advice? I'm not sure what to do. As of right now I was planning to take the OAT at the end of July but my scores haven't even reached 300 :(

Scores:
Bio-250
Gen Chem- 260
Ochem-270
Reading Comp- 290
Physics- 230
QR-230

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I studied through Kaplan as well, and from my experience I did much better on the actual exam than on my practice exams. My advice to you is to keep doing practice tests and learn from the wrong questions. Develop your strategy that way :) also as long you get above 300 and have decent extracurriculars and gpa then I'm sure you'll get interviews :)

I studied through Kaplan as well, and from my experience I did much better on the actual exam than on my practice exams. My advice to you is to keep doing practice tests and learn from the wrong questions. Develop your strategy that way :) also as long you get above 300 and have decent extracurriculars and gpa then I'm sure you'll get interviews :)

Would you recommend taking the test still at the end of the month??

Members don't see this ad :)
What was your study hours and are you trying to enroll for next year?? To improve your organic chemistry and chemistry section, I would highly suggest you to study from "Chad's Video" (Coursesaver.com). Its 50 dollars per month for all section, including physic and biology, and I would also recommend OAT destroyer for many practice questions. In order for you to re-take OAT, you would have to wait 2~3 months I think... So I would start studying RIGHT NOW!!! , fill out your OPTOMCAS application and start writing your personal statement. If you have any questions, let me know !

What was your study hours and are you trying to enroll for next year?? To improve your organic chemistry and chemistry section, I would highly suggest you to study from "Chad's Video" (Coursesaver.com). Its 50 dollars per month for all section, including physic and biology, and I would also recommend OAT destroyer for many practice questions. In order for you to re-take OAT, you would have to wait 2~3 months I think... So I would start studying RIGHT NOW!!! , fill out your OPTOMCAS application and start writing your personal statement. If you have any questions, let me know !
I've studied at least 3-5 hours almost every day since April and yes, I was hoping to apply this August. I already have my LOC's and everything lined up. I've just been struggling with the test. I'm a little unsure about what to do.

I would postpone until you can get the majority of your scores above 300.
Yeah I was just hoping I could improve because taking it later would make my application be approved later with less spots available. :(

Would you recommend taking the test still at the end of the month??
Many people report that they do much better on the actual test than on the practice tests. Try not to get yourself into a pattern of negative thinking when it comes to this exam. I would take the exam if I were you. If your scores are a little low, then you at least have scores that you can use to apply. Some schools might ask you to re-take the exam and give you conditional acceptance before you do (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I've only heard other classmates discuss this).

For what it's worth I never even used Kaplan materials, but they seem to make people nervous. I only used the OAT Destroyer and was fine. How have you done on other standardized tests? If you're generally a good test taker, then I think you have less reason to be so nervous. It's honestly not a super difficult exam for most people. You won't know everything, and that's okay.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Many people report that they do much better on the actual test than on the practice tests. Try not to get yourself into a pattern of negative thinking when it comes to this exam. I would take the exam if I were you. If your scores are a little low, then you at least have scores that you can use to apply. Some schools might ask you to re-take the exam and give you conditional acceptance before you do (someone correct me if I'm wrong as I've only heard other classmates discuss this).

For what it's worth I never even used Kaplan materials, but they seem to make people nervous. I only used the OAT Destroyer and was fine. How have you done on other standardized tests? If you're generally a good test taker, then I think you have less reason to be so nervous. It's honestly not a super difficult exam for most people. You won't know everything, and that's okay.

Best of luck!
Unfortunately, I've never been the test taker. That's mostly why I've been so nervous about my scores. I've been trying to find ways to get better but nothing has really worked so far.

Unfortunately, I've never been the test taker. That's mostly why I've been so nervous about my scores. I've been trying to find ways to get better but nothing has really worked so far.
What about your GPA? If you don't want to share, then that's fine too.

What about your GPA? If you don't want to share, then that's fine too.
I have a 3.1, worked in a optometry office, volunteered at a eye hospital, shadowed 50+ hours in optometry offices and few other extracurriculars

Hi I was planning on applying this upcoming Fall 2017 but I'm not too sure anymore. I've been taking Practice Kaplan tests and been studying for the last 4 months for the OAT but I haven't made any improvements. Any advice? I'm not sure what to do. As of right now I was planning to take the OAT at the end of July but my scores haven't even reached 300 :(

Scores:
Bio-250
Gen Chem- 260
Ochem-270
Reading Comp- 290
Physics- 230
QR-230

I meant Fall 2017!!

Last edited:
Take the OAT and still apply! I almost didn't submit my application because I was so discouraged by my OAT but I said the hell with it and did it anyway and got in. Take the chance because you never know. If you don't get accepted there is no harm in reapplying. But definitely apply!

Reactions: 1 user
Take the OAT and still apply! I almost didn't submit my application because I was so discouraged by my OAT but I said the hell with it and did it anyway and got in. Take the chance because you never know. If you don't get accepted there is no harm in reapplying. But definitely apply!
Thanks!!! I'll definitely take this into consideration!