Strict Admission Requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentsuperstar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I apologize in advance if this post seems repetitive, but I could not find a thread that answers this specific question. I am going to be a senior in undergrad this fall, and I have oscillated between many various career options. The one that I have completed the most coursework for is the pre-med requirements. That being said, I am almost positive that I do not want to go to med school! I recently went to my optometrist and have been exploring being pre-opt. My GPA right now is not that great, we're looking at something around a 3.2 when I graduate. I was thinking of doing a masters degree of some sort after graduation and taking the rest of the pre-opt classes post-bacc.

Now onto my main question...many optometry school admissions say that they require a C grade minimum in their pre-req classes. Unfortunately, I received a C- in General Chemistry II my freshman year. I really do not want to have to repeat this course, so I was wondering how strict this admission requirement is. Would they not consider me completely because of one course?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools will not take a c-, it would be best to look on the specific school admission site or call the admission office.

Some schools will not take a c-, it would be best to look on the specific school admission site or call the admission office.
So despite having above C grades in the other pre-reqs, I would not be able to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
So despite having above C grades in the other pre-reqs, I would not be able to apply?

I think if you did apply, the schools would probably ask you to retake the class and if they invite you to interview/accept you, it would be on the condition that you retake the class and pass with at least a C.

I applied and got into a few schools without finishing all pre-reqs and all of the requirements were to pass with at least a C. They made it clear that a C- would not count. The situation isn't exactly the same but I would assume that they would take a similar approach. It doesn't make sense that they would let it slide because you got good grades in your other classes.

Hello! I apologize in advance if this post seems repetitive, but I could not find a thread that answers this specific question. I am going to be a senior in undergrad this fall, and I have oscillated between many various career options. The one that I have completed the most coursework for is the pre-med requirements. That being said, I am almost positive that I do not want to go to med school! I recently went to my optometrist and have been exploring being pre-opt. My GPA right now is not that great, we're looking at something around a 3.2 when I graduate. I was thinking of doing a masters degree of some sort after graduation and taking the rest of the pre-opt classes post-bacc.

Now onto my main question...many optometry school admissions say that they require a C grade minimum in their pre-req classes. Unfortunately, I received a C- in General Chemistry II my freshman year. I really do not want to have to repeat this course, so I was wondering how strict this admission requirement is. Would they not consider me completely because of one course?

Thanks!

Don't do a masters unless you really want to, you don't need it for admission. If you're set on this choice, you should schedule an OAT test date in the near future and apply this summer. The schools will accept you on the condition that you finish all pre-reqs before matriculation. Your GPA is fine and the OAT is an easy test.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do a masters unless you really want to, you don't need it for admission. If you're set on this choice, you should schedule an OAT test date in the near future and apply this summer. The schools will accept you on the condition that you finish all pre-reqs before matriculation. Your GPA is fine and the OAT is an easy test.
Thank you! I'm pretty concerned about my GPA though. Because it is probably not going to be higher than a 3.2 when I graduate. Would this be something that would severely hold me back when applying?

Simply call the admissions offices of the schools you are interested in. They are the only ones qualified to answer any of these questions.

Thanks!

Yes, they are super strict about the C's or better policy. No school will let you matriculate in the fall if you did not receive a C or better in required pre-requisite classes. People who have a C- or worse retake the classes.

Thanks!

Retake the course and do well in it.

There was a thread in here earlier that mentioned what AAMCAS does with replacement grades: 1) if its retaken at the same institution, the grade is replaced 2) if its retaken at a different institution, the grade is averaged.

You can choose to do it at your university and simply pass, or if you take it at a community college (which is cheaper and may offer more flexible times for you if you're working), go in and get an A. Don't let chem be the only thing between you and an opto school acceptance. Especially if its just 1 class you took your freshman year. You've probably grown a lot since then, so be confident.

As for chemistry: do lots of practice problems. I had the same issues you did with chemistry but ended up tutoring chem to lots of students who struggled. Understand the concepts. Do practice problems. Don't just stare at the powerpoints or notes. Find out what works and what doesn't studying wise. Summarize steps for specific problem types and practice them. Practice it like you would math. Go in for a good tutoring and ask lots of questions.

it would be best to look on the specific school admission site or call the admission office.
4.gif