Strong ECs, weaker academics, nontraditional. How are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iamdragonborn

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Year in school: Graduated in Spring 2015 with B.S. Biology; in Summer 2016 from combined M.P.H. program with concentration in Social & Behavioral Sciences

URM: Yes (mixed - black, latino, white)

School list: MD – UF, FIU, USF, UM, UCF, Georgetown, GW, Howard, Maryland, VCU, Wake Forest, Loyola, TCMC

DO – VCOM, LECOM (Bradenton and Erie), PCOM, Nova, Rowan

cGPA: 3.30

sGPA: 3.00

MCAT: 500 (126/125/125/124); 497 (124/123/125/125); waiting on scores from my test on September 9th

Grad GPA: 3.89

Research: Involved with a summer health disparities research group from 2012-2015, usually composed of around 10-15 students in undergrad, medical school, dental school, pharmacy school, and/or law school. Projects have varied from summer to summer, and are presented at the end of the semester to a group of local leaders involved with the medical field.

I’m currently continuing my Special Project from my M.P.H. program, which is evaluating the effectiveness of a mental health intervention tool on medically underserved patients with depression/anxiety seen at the clinic I’ve volunteered at (see below).

Volunteering: 1) Volunteered for 5 years (almost 1,000 hours) with a mobile clinic that provides free primary care services, health education, and patient referrals for residents in medically underserved communities in my area. Took vitals, conduct interventions and follow-up calls, scribe and present patients to providers, and follow-up on patient referrals.

2) Volunteered in the immunocompromised pediatric unit at my university’s hospital through their Childlife program for 3.5 years.

Physician Shadowing: Besides the mobile clinic, I just started shadowing with a family physician D.O. for 5 hours/week.

Non-clinical volunteering: 1) Volunteered as a delegate for two years in our university’s Dance Marathon philanthropy, encouraging both organizations I represented to raise money and organized various fundraising events.

2) TA for Genetics and a biological research class

EC's: 1) 4 years in my school’s student ambassador program (gave campus tours, worked with the University President’s office and Alumni Association, etc.)

2) On the executive board for a freshman leadership development program for 1 year (developed curriculum and invited faculty speakers for weekly meetings, oversaw directors in organizing campus events, etc.)

3) Involved in various intramurals for 3 years

4) Involved in my university’s salsa club for 1 year so far

5) Presented the mobile clinic's mental health intervention tool at a national conference for mobile clinics

6) Competed in a local CLARION case competition. Team of three students (including self) finished in third.

Employment history: Working as a Tobacco Cessation Facilitator for 30 hrs/week

Family in medicine: Yes

Specialty of interest: Family (community-based primary care)

Interest in rural health: Yes

I guess to add what I think are important additional details, I explained in my secondaries this cycle (not last cycle) that a major reasoning behind my undergraduate GPA was due to depression and anxiety, which got especially worse during my senior year to the point that I needed immediate therapy after graduation; I had a lot of family and personal issues, along with heavy involvement and the pressures of applications, going on in my life at the time that exacerbated my symptoms. It took me a few months to recover, but my therapist introduced me to mental health treatment techniques that I still practice today to manage my symptoms, particularly empowerment and mindfulness. My depression has gone down significantly (even when stressed, I experience symptoms rarely) and my anxiety is easily manageable now. Mental health is a topic I’ve grown really passionate about due to my experience and want to make sure becomes a focus in my future medical practice. It’s also why I made it the focus on my M.P.H. project and is a project I’m continuing to work on. I know it’s generally frowned upon to not discuss mental health, but when I shared my essay with my former pre-med advisors and a couple of faculty mentors of mine, they said it was something I really should share with the adcoms.

Not sure if this matters much either, but I'm a reapplicant. Last year I only received an II from VCOM - VA (secondary submitted in December; II in January) and got waitlisted. Would love to go to their program since I enjoyed speaking with the faculty and students, plus they're huge on practicing in MUAs.

Members don't see this ad.

Add Meharry and Morehouse.
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered Morehouse but didn't know about Meharry. How do you think I should fare with D.O. programs? I know my chances with M.D. is much more difficult considering my undergraduate GPA and current MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the suggestions. I considered Morehouse but didn't know about Meharry. How do you think I should fare with D.O. programs? I know my chances with M.D. is much more difficult considering my undergraduate GPA and current MCAT.

The fact that you went from 500-497 is what is concerning to me. How can you be sure your score didn't decrease this time?

Reactions: 1 users
The fact that you went from 500-497 is what is concerning to me. How can you be sure your score didn't decrease this time?
My biggest issue the last two times was my pacing with the exam. I'd spend too much time on passages and found myself rushing to finish test sections, and even if I finished in time I answered questions without having thought enough through them. So for this one I focused strictly on proper pacing using Kaplan's strategies, and found that it cut down my test anxiety and was much more efficient in understanding passage questions. Whether it worked for the actual exam I'm unsure (even though I felt much better coming out of it), but I would consistently miss 0-1 questions per passage on practice passage sessions and score in the 508-512 range on practice exams.

Last edited: