Strong MCAT score but one bad section? Should I retake it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hanoun

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, so I scored a 510 overall on the mcat, however the biochemistry section concerns me as i was in the 44th percentile. The other sections were 79,87, and 98%. I understand that biological and biochemical foundations is really important, and the reason I didn't do well is because I hadn't taken any introductory biochem courses at the time and I took the MCAT anyway due to certain circumstances. I am taking the class now and wondering if a good grade in biochemistry can compensate for this? Do you guys think I have to retake the mcat? I would prefer not to retake and get a worse overall score even if biochem improves! I should also mention my major is biology

Members don't see this ad.

You probably hate hearing this, but know it deep down inside already. If it had been any other section you probably could have just gone with what you got. However, if you are a 124 in the Bio section, that has to be improved, especially with your major. Hopefully different opinions outnumber mine, but all AMCAS numbers indicate that you have to be strong in Bio to have the best chance of getting accepted.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
You probably hate hearing this, but know it deep down inside already. If it had been any other section you probably could have just gone with what you got. However, if you are a 124 in the Bio section, that has to be improved, especially with your major. Hopefully different opinions outnumber mine, but all AMCAS numbers indicate that you have to be strong in Bio to have the best chance of getting accepted.

Good luck!

What about a 126 in the Bio section? (67th percentile)?
(I am not a bio major however)

Hi there, so I scored a 510 overall on the mcat, however the biochemistry section concerns me as i was in the 44th percentile. The other sections were 79,87, and 98%. I understand that biological and biochemical foundations is really important, and the reason I didn't do well is because I hadn't taken any introductory biochem courses at the time and I took the MCAT anyway due to certain circumstances. I am taking the class now and wondering if a good grade in biochemistry can compensate for this? Do you guys think I have to retake the mcat? I would prefer not to retake and get a worse overall score even if biochem improves! I should also mention my major is biology

this happened to me too, which is weird because my practice scores were never skewed like that. I always hear people retaking because of weak CARS scores but this is the first time I have seen someone saying to retake based on low BB score. I am studying for a retake but also wonder if an overall good score outweighs the 124 in BB.

Members don't see this ad :)
You might want to consider retaking, OP. I'm not a retake score expert or anything, but I feel like applying with a 44%ile Bio is asking for trouble. Your call though, if you don't think can do much better then I would apply with what you've got.
I definitely don't think doing well in a biochem class will make up for a low MCAT score though. Doing well in a class is totally different than doing well in a difficult high stakes, high pressure exam.

Thanks all for your responses! I've been asking around and I do think it also highly depends on the medical school of interest. For other people in the same situation as me, I recommend that you ask the admissions committee if they emphasize subsection scores or not, that's what I did. :)