Strong overall; weak senior GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCM13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Residency: MI
College: Top Public, graduated 2013
Ethnicity: White

cGPA: 3.8+ (senior year gpa = 3.2)
sGPA: 3.58
MCAT: 38 (13/12/13, taken 1/2014)

Phi Beta Kappa, random Dean's lists

Clinical Experience:

Scribing: 1600 hrs split between emergency department and family practice (full-time job last year); saw and learned loads of stuff, will be foundation of personal statement

Volunteering: ~70 hours in Ped ICU

Shadowing:

None outside of scribing, though I may start shadowing an ENT soon.

Research:

40 pg honors thesis for my major (humanities)

Will spend the next year working 20hr/wk in bench research for hearing lab

Teaching:

Will spend the next year privately tutoring the MCAT for about 15-20 hours/wk

1 wk/yr for 4 years at about 50 hrs/wk teaching at a band camp

Nonclinical Volunteering/ECs:

3 years as a leader in religious organization on campus, about 10 hrs/wk

~50 hours at homeless shelter over the last year

Other Employment:

1.5 yrs working as a custodian (about 10 hrs/wk)
1 yr working as lab assistant (about 10hrs/wk)

Hobbies:

Nothing for the application...watch lots of movies and sports. Lift weights. Plan my wedding :).

List:

UMich
Wayne State
MSU
Oakland
Rush
UChicago
NWestern
Case
Pitt
OSU
Mt. Sinai
JHU
Duke
Toledo
Cincinnati

I'd like to stay in the Midwest/East Coast for the most part. Any thoughts on the list/how much the low senior GPA will hurt? I think it was in part due to a late decision to return to medicine-->taking every science class at once-->less than success. Hopefully the MCAT compensates.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Any thoughts on list/chances? All commentary is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get some shadowing in!!

I feel like my scribing should cover that...I've seen thousands of physician-patient interactions and have a pretty strong grasp of what EM and family docs do.

Well, despite the senior year, you have an awesome cGPA and killer numbers. From what I've seen on the MSAR, you look really good for many of those schools. Just my .02.

Congrats on the wedding!

Lack of research will hurt a bit at top schools. Your MCAT is good for any school; your cGPA is great, but I don't know how much your senior year GPA will hurt. I think the rest of your app is good; clinical is excellent.

I would add some more mid tiers such as Rochester, Einstein, Tufts. Also consider the philly schools (Jefferson, Drexel, Temple).