"Strong" personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maccu5000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A number of people claim they have a "strong" personal statement. What does that really mean and how did/could they conclude this?

Do they just mean that they tell a cohesive story? Or are they saying their writing is really good?

People who have reviewed applications: approx. what percentage of "strong" personal statements do you read in a cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

A well written piece with a good narrative that can properly elucidate a convincing reason of why you are choosing medicine as a career path.

Reactions: 3 users
To be honest I don't think people are great at judging their personal statements. I thought mine was very average, but I had an interviewer tell me they really liked it. Of course different people reading it can have different opinions.

Just make it personal, honest, compelling, and eloquent and then hope people see it the same way (also obviously answer the "why medicine" prompt).

Members don't see this ad :)
A number of people claim they have a "strong" personal statement. What does that really mean and how did/could they conclude this?

Do they just mean that they tell a cohesive story? Or are they saying their writing is really good?

People who have reviewed applications: approx. what percentage of "strong" personal statements do you read in a cycle?

When someone says that they have a "strong" aspect of their application, it means that it is something that makes them more desirable to medical schools than your average applicant. A strong personal statement articulates why a particular applicant is a good candidate for a medical school spot by explaining drawing on experiences had to answer the fundamental question, "Why go into medicine?"

In my personal experience, few people actually have strong personal statements. My personal bias is that writing has gotten so atrocious over time and emphasis on reading/writing in primary school on up has suffered to the point that students think that a cohesive story is 'strong'. Students drastically over estimate how strong their personal statements and letters of recommendation are.

Reactions: 1 users
I read about 30 this past year as a volunteer. I'd say about 30% were ready to submit/fine, 45% needed a good amount of work, and 30% needed some very serious work. I read maybe one that I would consider exceptional. Perhaps ironically, most of the people who were most confident sending their drafts ("I think it's almost done" for example) needed the most work. Those who were incredibly off base (making excuses, sounding entitled, not answering the question, very poorly written grammatically etc) likely had no idea they were falling into that category.

A fine personal statement made me understand something about you and why you want to be a doctor. It told me what you've done to explore this career, what that taught or meant to you, and was written in proper english with proper sentence structure and word choice. It was also organized in a logical manner with a clear beginning, middle, and end, and a good reason for them to be in this order.

A strong personal statement does all of the things a fine one does but it also does something that makes me want to learn more. For example, it is written in a compelling way, makes smart observations about the author and the field of medicine, is introspective and thoughtful. I really don't care where someone did something, I care what they learned. A fine one tells me they did it and it made them want to be a doctor. A strong one tells me WHY it made them want to be a doctor. What did it make them realize about themselves? About their strengths and weaknesses, passions, interests, etc. What did it teach them about the field they want to go into and how did it do that? Bonus points for proper use of semicolons and gerunds.

Reactions: 2 users
Strong personal statements are a rarity. The large majority are pretty bland and cliche; that doesn't make them bad, just not particularly unique. Another small majority are particularly bad.

Don't aim for an exceptional PS. More than likely you'll fail (for the reasons that @mimelim mentioned). In most cases the PS simply offers a narrative explanation of how the experience you list in your activities section meld together to form a cohesive story. In very rare cases there are truly extraordinary things not mentioned elsewhere in the PS that are compelling and otherwise really add to an app. Understand though that this really doesn't happen too often, and more likely than not your PS will fall into the bland but not bad category. Most PSs make me cringe.

Reactions: 1 users
When someone says that they have a "strong" aspect of their application, it means that it is something that makes them more desirable to medical schools than your average applicant. A strong personal statement articulates why a particular applicant is a good candidate for a medical school spot by explaining drawing on experiences had to answer the fundamental question, "Why go into medicine?"

In my personal experience, few people actually have strong personal statements. My personal bias is that writing has gotten so atrocious over time and emphasis on reading/writing in primary school on up has suffered to the point that students think that a cohesive story is 'strong'. Students drastically over estimate how strong their personal statements and letters of recommendation are.

Do you ever see letters where the writer is clearly supportive of the applicant and has good concrete examples of desirable qualities, but the letter itself is just garbage writing? I know I've had professors who are awesome in class in an interesting subject but their syllabus and class emails are barely comprehensible English

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here who didn't claim that had a great personal statement and great letters of recommendation.

I read about 30 this past year as a volunteer. I'd say about 30% were ready to submit/fine, 45% needed a good amount of work, and 30% needed some very serious work. I read maybe one that I would consider exceptional. Perhaps ironically, most of the people who were most confident sending their drafts ("I think it's almost done" for example) needed the most work. Those who were incredibly off base (making excuses, sounding entitled, not answering the question, very poorly written grammatically etc) likely had no idea they were falling into that category.

A fine personal statement made me understand something about you and why you want to be a doctor. It told me what you've done to explore this career, what that taught or meant to you, and was written in proper english with proper sentence structure and word choice. It was also organized in a logical manner with a clear beginning, middle, and end, and a good reason for them to be in this order.

A strong personal statement does all of the things a fine one does but it also does something that makes me want to learn more. For example, it is written in a compelling way, makes smart observations about the author and the field of medicine, is introspective and thoughtful. I really don't care where someone did something, I care what they learned. A fine one tells me they did it and it made them want to be a doctor. A strong one tells me WHY it made them want to be a doctor. What did it make them realize about themselves? About their strengths and weaknesses, passions, interests, etc. What did it teach them about the field they want to go into and how did it do that? Bonus points for proper use of semicolons and gerunds.
woah

Do you ever see letters where the writer is clearly supportive of the applicant and has good concrete examples of desirable qualities, but the letter itself is just garbage writing? I know I've had professors who are awesome in class in an interesting subject but their syllabus and class emails are barely comprehensible English

Yes. Not terribly infrequently. Unless it is incomprehensible, it doesn't really affect most people's readings or opinions. If a letter writer is clearly excited about an applicant, that is a pretty big plus considering how many, "He's a nice guy" letters we get.

I heard from an adcom once that about 10% of personal statements actually help an applicant, 10% hurt an applicant, and the other 80% don't sway their opinion one way or the other. Any adcoms care to weigh in on the validity of this statement?

I heard from an adcom once that about 10% of personal statements actually help an applicant, 10% hurt an applicant, and the other 80% don't sway their opinion one way or the other. Any adcoms care to weigh in on the validity of this statement?

This, combined with most personal statements being unremarkable, would explain the heavy emphasis on interviews to gauge the person behind the stats. Seems a little odd that a single conversation with someone is given greater emphasis than the opinions of multiple people who mentored them for a semester or more, but if most letters are "he's punctual and nice" I guess it's the only way

Personally, I'd say 10% help, 20% hurt, 20% spawn specific interview questions geared at figuring something worrying out and 50% are neutral.

Reactions: 1 user
This, combined with most personal statements being unremarkable, would explain the heavy emphasis on interviews to gauge the person behind the stats. Seems a little odd that a single conversation with someone is given greater emphasis than the opinions of multiple people who mentored them for a semester or more, but if most letters are "he's punctual and nice" I guess it's the only way

He said personal statements, not LOR. Most people take LOR pretty seriously, but they tend to be pretty bad. Honestly, if someone writes the word "nice" in a LOR, you can almost guardsmen that it is going to be weak. One of the Wash U adcoms even said that he considers it to be extremely negative. He said that if a letter writer has nothing better to say about an applicant and they couldn't find anyone better, it is a red flag. Rather extreme, but making the point.

He said personal statements, not LOR. Most people take LOR pretty seriously, but they tend to be pretty bad. Honestly, if someone writes the word "nice" in a LOR, you can almost guardsmen that it is going to be weak. One of the Wash U adcoms even said that he considers it to be extremely negative. He said that if a letter writer has nothing better to say about an applicant and they couldn't find anyone better, it is a red flag. Rather extreme, but making the point.

Man, I wish professors would just say no to people instead of writing them bad or totally bland letters

Man, I wish professors would just say no to people instead of writing them bad or totally bland letters
That's why you have to ask specifically if they'll write you a *strong* letter and make sure they don't feel obligated to say yes.