Structure for "Why our school" secondary essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

salemstein

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen this prompt so many times now my mind is going numb... Just wanted to make sure I'm doing it correctly:
I start with a short statement of why the med school's mission is perfect for me. Then I list what organizations/ unique features the med school have that are of interest to me. Lastly, I describe why I'm interested in joining those orgs.
Keep in mind there is usually a short word limit on these kinds of essays.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been following a relatively similar structure– hope it's decent!

I also am curious as to whether people are expressing top choices in these essays (e.g. this is perfect for me... also it's my first choice!). I know sometimes people write a letter of intent later in the process to top choice schools, but I am wondering if it would add anything positive at this stage or if it would just come across as overeager.

I try to relate specific programs/opportunities at the school with experiences I have already, to show that I'm not just choosing random things from the website!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the best strategy is to do research on the school and find out what they really value. Talk about these values in the context of things you've done. (i.e. X Medical College is perfect for me because of their defined commitment to rural medicine in the state of X, seeing as I've done A, B, and C). Bonus points if you can throw in specific things that you would like to be involved with in the school! And try to actually find schools you are truly interested in for reasons other than the fact that they're a medical school. The schools where I applied to just because they were fits in terms of my numbers are the ones I got swift rejections from. The ones I was extremely interested in from the get-go are the ones where I got interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
I just wrote a post in a thread about this. SDN search function, put in my handle, and search "dowry skiing" and you should find it.

I just wrote a post in a thread about this. SDN search function, put in my handle, and search "dowry skiing" and you should find it.

Lol dowry skiing.

Reactions: 1 users
Tip: look up youtube videos of the affiliated hospitals and things going on at the medical school. I feel like youtube is such an underutilized tool for applications. There is a ton of great info you can get there... things like patient demographics, the overall "feel" of the environment, things that the higher-ups in the hospital value in their employees (which you might be someday), etc.

"Why not?" (sorry, I know this isn't helpful. I just thought it would be funny if someone ever said it!)

Reactions: 1 user