Struggling to keep at it! (Language Processing/Garden Path Model))

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

D391

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Totally new here and actually found this site by accident whilst being sidetracked, but hoping that someone can help!

I'm a UK undergrad Psychology student (combining with Education Studies) in my second year, but about to completely flunk a module because I can't get my head round the topic... Garden Path Model... we've had no lectures on this, and this has completely stolen my motivation for understanding the topic and completing the essay I have 2 weeks to write.

Essay title: "Why are readers sometimes led 'up the garden path'? Describe the current status of the garden path model of reading using recent empirical evidence, theories and concepts."

I've got as far as knowing that the garden path model refers to the parsing of sentences relying upon the assumption that only one level of processing (and that's syntactic) is completed, leading to incorrect processing, when a semantic level is needed to understand a sentence.

And then I'm lost... After 18 months of writing really good essays, I just feel like I've forgotten what I'm doing! Help!

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.