Struggling with Pre Reqs (freshman year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hals

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am a current freshman at college majoring in Cellular and Molecular Biology with Pre-Vet intentions. I am beginning to panic slightly and would really like to hear some opinions from people who have been through this.

As of right now all of my classes are going fine except for Biology: Basics of Life. I failed my most recent test (granted it was only the first one and we are allowed to drop our lowest grade) and I just finished my second test of the year and still don't feel confident about how this one will turn out. I even drastically changed my study habits by going in for help with the professor, study groups, tutors, etc.

If for some reason I end up failing this class, do you think it will help to re take the class?
Also, If I'm doing well in chemistry but struggling so much with biology, should this be a concern for my future as a Vet?

Members don't see this ad.

What specifically are you struggling with in Biology? If you're doing well in Chemistry, is it that you have an easier time with mathematics and concept application than you do with memorization? I'd suggest experimenting with different learning methods to help with memorization--I've had a lot of luck with electronic notecard programs like Anki, which are adaptive (to help you prioritize the information you have the most trouble remembering) and designed to be used consistently over a longer period, rather than "crammed". I cram really well, but find that I'll typically forget that information later if I don't continue to refresh and revisit. Learning biology involves a lot of systems building upon systems building upon systems, so it's a good idea to make sure you've truly learned the previous material and can integrate that knowledge with the new concepts you learn. Some people also have a lot more luck actually writing or drawing out their notecards, as the act of writing it out helps to better cement the info for long-term storage.

It also helps me to talk through problems or concepts I'm struggling with with either a friend or another student. It forces you to organize what you know, articulate your thought process, and identify what your weaknesses or blind spots might be.

It's early in your college career, so there's still plenty of time to figure out what works for you! The fact that you're actively seeking help and trying to improve also speaks very well for your work ethic, which will be invaluable if you plan to pursue vet med. Keep it up!

Just wanted to add that if you do actually fail the class, you will have to repeat it in order to apply to veterinary schools. They usually won't accept below a C for any pre-req course.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!

I am a current freshman at college majoring in Cellular and Molecular Biology with Pre-Vet intentions. I am beginning to panic slightly and would really like to hear some opinions from people who have been through this.

As of right now all of my classes are going fine except for Biology: Basics of Life. I failed my most recent test (granted it was only the first one and we are allowed to drop our lowest grade) and I just finished my second test of the year and still don't feel confident about how this one will turn out. I even drastically changed my study habits by going in for help with the professor, study groups, tutors, etc.

If for some reason I end up failing this class, do you think it will help to re take the class?
Also, If I'm doing well in chemistry but struggling so much with biology, should this be a concern for my future as a Vet?

See how the second test goes since you made some good changes between the first and second test. If that one goes poorly too, I would drop the class and focus on your current courses instead of taking a failing grade.

Reactions: 1 users
See how the second test goes since you made some good changes between the first and second test. If that one goes poorly too, I would drop the class and focus on your current courses instead of taking a failing grade.

I second this hard. You can definitely recover a W easily. Recovering from a failing grade is a struggle.

Reactions: 1 user
I second this hard. You can definitely recover a W easily. Recovering from a failing grade is a struggle.

Agreed. It's even a struggle to recover from passing a class with a low grade. Take it from me, I got a D- my freshman year in Bio II. The class structure was just horrid and I struggled immensely from it. But because I never dropped it or bothered to retake it back then, I now have to retake it in order for the pre req to count for vet apps. Not to mention how much my GPA suffered because of that one class.

I would go with what everyone else is saying, if your next test goes poorly and you have no way of earning a C or higher, withdraw and take it later. Perhaps during the summer when you don't have a full class load and can focus on it more. Might even be cheaper too, especially if you take it a local community college.

This idea scares me though because i have been told for so long that it looks worse to have a W and show that you gave up on a class rather than doing poorly and retaking it. I am also concerned however for the retake idea because i know that some vet schools will not accept a retake grade or will average the old and new grades.

This idea scares me though because i have been told for so long that it looks worse to have a W and show that you gave up on a class rather than doing poorly and retaking it. I am also concerned however for the retake idea because i know that some vet schools will not accept a retake grade or will average the old and new grades.

I think the different potential GPA impacts are of greater consequence here than how it would look to have a W on your transcript. I would lean my decision-making process in favor of what is going to protect my GPA the most.

Reactions: 3 users
W on the transcript will not hurt your GPA, but below a C definitely will.

A W does not influence your GPA at all; a failing grade will tank it quickly. An A or a B is certainly preferable to a W but protecting your GPA is far more important than any perception of "giving up" by an admissions committee. I feel that it shows maturity and foresight to withdraw from a class over taking a poor grade - you recognize your limitations (whatever they may be) and choose to gracefully step away. Going back the next semester to take that class and earn an A or B will look far better than having to resit the class from a D or F.

I'm a freshmen taking bio 1 too! We've had two exams and a lab midterm and get to drop our lowest exam grade as well. I got an 86% on the first exam and a 74% on the second exam (because of a stupid mistake involving me not reading diagrams correctly...ugh. hopefully that will be my dropped exam) and a 92% in the lab portion overall. But anyway, I feel pretty good about the class so if there's something you're struggling with maybe I could help? idk. If your class drops the lowest and you do well on the second one then you'll be fine! Keep us updated! :)

If you have one or two scattered W's throughout your undergrad career, it wont be an issue. A lot of W's: that's a whole 'nother story.

W is preferred over an F any day, considering the W wont affect your GPA. For pre-req Biology and even more advanced classes, Kahn Academy videos are fantastic. Have you tried watching some? He explains material very well.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wish I had taken a W instead of an F in o chem. Trying to stick it out in the class made my other classes suffer so the whole semester looked like crap.

I wish I had taken a W instead of an F in o chem. Trying to stick it out in the class made my other classes suffer so the whole semester looked like crap.

I definitely know the feeling! I actually took a W for my first round at Ochem and then took it that summer. My kicker is that blasted Biology II class that I got a D- in. Enough to "pass" so that I got the credits, but might as well been in a fail in my book, trying to get that GPA back up since then was a real struggle. And to think I have to repeat it even though I have already taken other biology courses, biology of plants, population and community ecology, mammalogy, ornithology, etc. ugh >.<

That entire year was suck because of an accident with my sister the previous summer. But my stress level would have been better if I dropped o chem in the fall and developmental in the spring. Protecting that GPA is a top priority for a lot of the application.

I've had someone on a forum tell me, "a W looks just as bad as an F on your app" but that is pure :bullcrap:

I only have one W, from my very first semester when I was struggling to adjust to college academics. I was taking Bio, Chem and Trig all at once, and ended up having to withdraw from Chem to avoid stacking yet another D on top of the other 2. I took the whole inorganic chem sequence the following summer and got A, A, A, C.

I WISH I had been able to do the same for my biochem class. I wasn't able to withdraw because I had to maintain at least 12 hours per semester to be considered full-time for scholarship, but I had an awkward number of hours in that semester (like 13), due to classes with lab components that made it impossible to fit an extra padding-class into the schedule--so I didn't have the leeway to drop a 3-hour class like biochem. Now I have to deal with that one glaring F. I retook it last year and got a B...a neutral W leading to a B would have been so much more preferable than my B competing with a previous F in the GPA.

Like some others here have mentioned, I think the only time Ws would reflect negatively is if you were constantly dropping classes. But withdrawing from a prereq class that you know you're doing poorly in, so that you can retry for a better grade, is a MUCH better option than having your GPA suffer from a D/F and then trying to raise that with your retake. I am currently retaking Bio (hoping that at some schools this grade can replace the original, since that was 5 years ago).

TL;DR I agree with what everyone here has said :) Consider how you're doing in the class at this point, and if raising your grade by now seems unlikely, drop and retake!

Thank you all so so much! I am taking 16 credits right now and believe that this would make me eligible to drop the class. I am going to see how this next test goes and if it doesn't turn out well I will definitely take your advice and withdraw from the class to make it up later. Thanks guys!

Reactions: 2 users
16??? jeez im only taking 12....
Don't worry too much about the number of credits. I once took 17 credits, but 4 of those credits were 1 credit labs that met once a week lol. It made my schedule look crazier than it was

Its a good thing that you started changing your study habits so soon, I'm proud of you!
My freshman year was definitely not my best year gpa wise because I thought I could still cram/not study like I did in HS for all my tests.
My advice is start a study group now with like-minded driven individuals that way you can all motivate each other.

Yeah, I'm still working on that. I was a piece of **** in high school haha. But I have an A in lab, and two very high B's in algebra and bio that I can get up. Plus I have an easy A coming my way in nutriton. I really hate philosophy though..... I like science haha

Yeah, I'm still working on that. I was a piece of **** in high school haha. But I have an A in lab, and two very high B's in algebra and bio that I can get up. Plus I have an easy A coming my way in nutriton. I really hate philosophy though..... I like science haha
lol I don't even remember studying in high school! Makes me wonder what me GPA/class rank would have been if I did. I still did really well considering. AL I really remember preparing for were AP tests and the ACT

literally didnt even take the ACT. I took the SAT once and got into a decent state school and said okay good enough lol. But anyway, I should get off this website. I have a lab write up, and project, and an exam this week. Plus my workout schedule is all out of whack.

lol I don't even remember studying in high school! Makes me wonder what me GPA/class rank would have been if I did. I still did really well considering. AL I really remember preparing for were AP tests and the ACT

I totally took AP Calculus in high school and then didn't take the AP exam. No idea what combination of synapse firing went into that brilliant decision.

Reactions: 1 users
I just decided i was bad at math and took the bare minimum because all i cared about was sports and health. soooo here i am, taking college algebra while all the other people in my major are in calc.

I totally took AP Calculus in high school and then didn't take the AP exam. No idea what combination of synapse firing went into that brilliant decision.
I have a friend who did this for AP English Lit! She had a major crash of confidence and didn't want to take it. I figured it couldn't really hurt to try. I don't think a bad AP exam score would have affected undergrad admissions.

My two 1's didn't hurt mine.

I had a W on my transcript applying to vet school. No one even asked about it. I got into vet school. **** happens.