stuck in the wrong field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wilwork4sheesha

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all :)

I am a final year medical student who has realized (unfortunately late) that medicine may not be the correct career path for me.
I've been doing some soul searching (and internet research) this past year and I've discovered an interest in psychology, particularly neuropsychology.
Now, I am not someone who has the financial resources to go back to school immediately.
My question is this: is there any way I can develop my interest in neuropsych while working in medicine?

Thank you guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. Academic neurology, with focus on behavioral neurology, TBI, dementing illnesses.

2. Neuropsychiatry, to an extent.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you :)

I'm a foreign medical student and there aren't any behavioral neurologists who are based in my country. However, I can get started on my reading!

There are some professionals having both MD and PhD. Where I completed my internship, the clinical training director completed three years towards his MD degree and he transferred to the PhD program in Counseling Psychology. He did well in his MD courses but he mostly went into the MD program as his father was a physician. Normally, it seems that some psychologist go on to get the MD rather than MD getting the PhD degree. Apparently if you have completed one doctoral degree the second doctoral degree may be acquired easier and quicker due to generalization and overlap of academic coursework.

Posted using SDN Mobile