Student Conduct Violation- Intimidation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TimberRT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to share a specific incident I had a few year ago in UG. My Freshman year (2007) I was taking calculus with a visiting professor. This professor had recently come to the US, and had a very awkward and nontraditional teaching method that was frankly rude and unhelpful.

In any case, I was doing terrible in this course, and by the end of the semester my final grade would be heavily weighed by my performance on my final exam. I did very bad on the final. Even before I received my grade, I emailed my professor and asked that he would consider giving me a passing grade. I did not receive a reply from him and the next day I went to his office. He told me that I would receive an F. I then preceded to do something I regret- In essence I tried to bribe him, by telling him that I would get him fired and that I would be able to get him a better teaching position at another university.

The professor filled a misconduct form against me detailing what I have stated above. I was found responsible of violating the student code for intimidation. I was placed on disciplinary probation for a semester. This violation does not show up on my academic transcript but it may show up on my academic records (I am not sure).

My question is, how bad is this violation going to be when I apply to medical school? Can anyone give me any advise on any steps I should take to resolve this?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I would like to share a specific incident I had a few year ago in UG. My Freshman year (2007) I was taking calculus with a visiting professor. This professor had recently come to the US, and had a very awkward and nontraditional teaching method that was frankly rude and unhelpful.

In any case, I was doing terrible in this course, and by the end of the semester my final grade would be heavily weighed by my performance on my final exam. I did very bad on the final. Even before I received my grade, I emailed my professor and asked that he would consider giving me a passing grade. I did not receive a reply from him and the next day I went to his office. He told me that I would receive an F. I then preceded to do something I regret- In essence I tried to bribe him, by telling him that I would get him fired and that I would be able to get him a better teaching position at another university.

The professor filled a misconduct form against me detailing what I have stated above. I was found responsible of violating the student code for intimidation. I was placed on disciplinary probation for a semester. This violation does not show up on my academic transcript but it may show up on my academic records (I am not sure).

My question is, how bad is this violation going to be when I apply to medical school? Can anyone give me any advise on any steps I should take to resolve this?

Thank you

This is a really serious offense. I certainly would have been intimidated had I been a foreign professor trying to teach a course. This would be an absolutely enormous red flag for me. Imagine you had a patient who was from another country who "seemed" rude - would you treat them the same way?

Find out if it shows up. I doubt that it won't. In any case, there's nothing you can do now. Others could give some advice.

In my opinion, and I don't mean to sound harsh, this seems like a horrible situation that could be a deal breaker.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Thank you

Well this plan was clearly fool-proof. If you're daring, this could also be said at interviews if not accepted. Sorry I have nothing to contribute.

When you apply, you need to demonstrate that you've changed and matured emotionally.

Aside from that, holy Jesus Christ, what on earth were you even thinking?!

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Not good. Unfortunately, some things you really can't undo. Can't imagine many schools are going to look past this. Just no excuse for going down that road.

Probably the best you can do is just own up to it if they ask about it. Take it all on yourself. Don't bother to leverage the "foreign professor made the class hard." Not even for a second. Don't expect much forgiveness from the adcom.

I really don't get people anymore, I thought you had to try to get a Student Conduct Violation, not just be born stupid. Geez.

You're in a really bad situation. I think you would need to take a couple of years off to mature and show that you have changed. As of now, I think you have absolutely no chance at being accepted at any medical school.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

Thank you
You were doing poorly in a class and yet blame the prof for it. You knew you would be failing and you asked him to pass you anyway. When he told you you were going to get the grade you earned, you threatened and tried to bribe him. How do you think medical schools will view you, as an applicant?

Does this remind anybody of a Fresh Prince episode?

Reactions: 1 users
That's pretty bad dude. I had some stupid stuff from my past show up when I applied to med school though and it wasn't a big deal. It was a pretty different situation though. If, when you apply, it's been a few years since this happened, I think you could show that you've grown up since then.

This site isn't a good place to gauge your chances of getting into med school.... I had several things on my app that were supposed to be "deal breakers" and I've had several interview invites and two acceptances already.

Just please, don't do anything that stupid again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your conduct shows a serious character flaw. You are done. This requires a long period of time to show a character change. I would recommend being involved with very altruistic organizations for a few years to show this change. You would have been better getting a DUI then being a punk that tried to muscle his professor to give him a better grade. Why were you not expelled for this?

I recommend a different field but if you want to try to show the character change it is going to take along time and a lot of free labor.

I'm waiting for a new member's first post to be "Student conduct violation for rape: did I ruin my chances at MD?" and all the premeds still respond to him

You're toast if you apply now. You'll only make things worse if you try.

Finish school with high marks. Find a job you like. Join the Peace Corps or military. Start a family. Start a non-profit organization.

Basically, do everything you can to change your image and put distance between you and your college career.

Then try to apply as a non-trad, older applicant. A winkle or two and a beard would be helpful. Make yourself look like an idiotic punk at the time you did this (because you were), and give them a humerous "Who was that guy?" face.

Maybe you'll have a chance.

where is RESPECT these days ???? smh

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for all the comments. It was no doubt an idiotic thing to do. The only reason I would have done something like that is because the enormous stress I was feeling over the need to get perfect grades. Anyways, this incident occurred 4 years ago. I know I am a lot more mature and responsible now.

Thanks for all the comments. It was no doubt an idiotic thing to do. The only reason I would have done something like that is because the enormous stress I was feeling over the need to get perfect grades. Anyways, this incident occurred 4 years ago. I know I am a lot more mature and responsible now.

Schools are going to want you to prove it. While the time elapsed is good it alone only shows you have not done it ( or been caught) in 4 yrs. You need some thing that says I left that behind me and learned from the mistake.

I say apply and see what happens. There's a spot on the application for you to give an explanation. Be prepared to respond to any questions about it on your interview. Know that schools will be concerned about something like that. Talk to the pre-med advisor at your school. If you have a medical school associated with your university, you can maybe try to contact a representative from the admissions office and speak with them about it too.

People make mistakes. There are students who have conduct violations that receive interviews and acceptances. There are medical students who have criminal records.

My question is, how bad is this violation going to be when I apply to medical school?

It's probably going to look pretty bad. I know if I were a dean I wouldn't accept someone who tried to threaten/bribe a professor to get the grade they wanted. As far as what you can do to "resolve" this, I don't think there is much to do other than make sure you don't perpetuate behavior like that towards your patients/colleagues if you ever end up getting into med school.

There are students who have conduct violations that receive interviews and acceptances. There are medical students who have criminal records.

Not very many. With how competitive medical school is and the amount of time/money/risk medical schools take when accepting applicants, someone with a criminal record/conduct violation is going to stand a very small chance against a pool of applicants with spotless records.

Not very many. With how competitive medical school is and the amount of time/money/risk medical schools take when accepting applicants, someone with a criminal record/conduct violation is going to stand a very small chance against a pool of applicants with spotless records.

It will definitely hurt their chances. If medicine is this applicants dream, then he/she should recognize the disadvantage but go ahead and apply. The fact that there is a section dedicated to explaining what happened shows that there isn't an automatic "no". Same thing with ERAS for residency.

Last edited:
Woah.

You're definitely cutthroat. Perhaps law school may be a better fit.

But, if you feel that you are capable of humbling yourself and work hard towards your goals instead of looking towards others that can be blamed for problems you have had, then please feel free to continue on your path. You sound like you've thought about this situation a lot and you're willing to admit the mistake, so that's a great first step.

Just remember in the future that someone in a class will always be getting the top grade. Instead of blaming the teacher for not giving you a grade, seek out what you can do to earn the grade. Work with your instructors, not against them.

Hi everyone,

Thank you

Hi TimberT,

Everyone on these message boards needs to seriously take a chill pill. People make mistakes on the fly all the time. The pressure of being a premed-student in the country is towering and pushes students to make silly decisions, unfortunately.

I would apply and pretend like it didn't even happen. If it comes up in an interview or on an application, then answer honestly. Not all schools ask questions like "Have you had any gaps in your education?" I am sure that you have grown up and matured from that situation already. I don't think you need to take 30 years off like everyone else is saying on these message boards. The fact that you had the guts to write up what you did (even if it is anonymous) and admit to the entire internet that you've done this shows to me that you have owned up to your mistakes and are regretful.

If being a physician is your dream, I think you need to pursue it no matter what. At the same time, I think it is important for you (and everyone else that is reading this, including myself) to work on your weaknesses in the meantime. Many students who have done worse things get admitted to medical school and hide under the radar. Unfortunately (but maybe fortunately), your fault was exposed, but that does not mean it cannot be fixed. Remain strong, stay steadfast and continue to follow your passions. Good luck.

p.s. If you have no experience with SDN, it is full of hyper-competitive crazy pre-med students that tear each other down, rather than build each other up. There are many threads where students are encouraging, but often, you will stumble upon a thread like this that is completely discouraging. It makes me worried to think that some of these students are going to be the future of healthcare in this country. Good luck America.

OP I hope to God that people like you don't become a physician even if you have "matured" from this incident. I really don't think that someone can truly learn from this that's just my opinion. What are you going to do blackmail patients and colleges to climb up the ladder?

Last edited:
He was a freshman, so, what? Eighteen years old? Give him a break. He was a dumb kid. Just like most seniors. The difference is, he now has the advantage of knowing how stupid he can be while most of his peers are still high on themselves.

OP, I have no idea how ad-coms can be won, but any talk of "frankly rude and unhelpful" will lose them for sure. I do suspect you are in for a long, uphill battle.

He was a freshman, so, what? Eighteen years old? Give him a break. He was a dumb kid. Just like most seniors. The difference is, he now has the advantage of knowing how stupid he can be while most of his peers are still high on themselves.

OP, I have no idea how ad-coms can be won, but any talk of "frankly rude and unhelpful" will lose them for sure. I do suspect you are in for a long, uphill battle.

There's just some boundaries you can't cross because if you cross them there's no point of return. Bribing an academic authority in a school setting and threatening him too is one of those things. I think OP is not going to make it into medical school and this is not SDN hype at all. There's like 50-100 applicants for 1 seat at a school you think ADCOM is going to say okay let's ignore the other 49-99 people and just give this guy an interview and accept him, HA yeah right.

You know what I find hilarious- is that people feel like they can judge my personality by one stupid mistake I have made. But it is okay with me because I PUT myself in this position by asking for your input and because I know and I am confident of my character and integrity. I also know what type of physician I will be.

As for the remark I made about this professors attitude in the classroom- it is the same description most students would give. In fact, after being at my school for 2 semesters, he left to another university were students still complain about his attitude and behavior (I checked on ratemyprofessor). I just wanted to introduce the type of character I was dealing with; my intention was not to defend my actions.

He was a freshman, so, what? Eighteen years old? Give him a break. He was a dumb kid.

That's true, but the way he described the situation here, blaming the prof and trying to wiggle out of responsibility, suggested that he may not have taken the right lessons from the experience.

My Freshman year (2007) I was taking calculus with a visiting professor. This professor had recently come to the US, and had a very awkward and nontraditional teaching method that was frankly rude and unhelpful.

In any case, I was doing terribly in this course, and by the end of the semester my final grade would be heavily weighed by my performance on my final exam. I did very badly on the final. Even before I received my grade, I emailed my professor and asked that he would consider giving me a passing grade. I did not receive a reply from him and the next day I went to his office. He told me that I would receive an F. I then preceded to do something I regret- In essence I tried to bribe him, by telling him that I would get him fired and that I would be able to get him a better teaching position at another university.

You regret it, that's all? Do you think the professor's teaching style has anything to do with your appalling behavior? Is it the professor's fault that your performance on the final was significantly worse than that of your fellow classmates?

I get that it's been a long time, but the way you've described the situation speaks volumes.

Last edited:
You know what I find hilarious- is that people feel like they can judge my personality by one stupid mistake I have made. But it is okay with me because I PUT myself in this position by asking for your input and because I know and I am confident of my character and integrity. I also know what type of physician I will be.

As for the remark I made about this professors attitude in the classroom- it is the same description most students would give. In fact, after being at my school for 2 semesters, he left to another university were students still complain about his attitude and behavior (I checked on ratemyprofessor). I just wanted to introduce the type of character I was dealing with; my intention was not to defend my actions.

No matter what his character was you crossed the line as you obviously know. You might have learned from this incident or matured whatever. I'm sure you're a wonderful person today and could be declared as father Teresa. However, In the end of the day as stated before there are too many competitive applicants with clean academic and criminal records for ADCOM to waive such a big incident even if it happened 4 years ago (which in my opinion is not long ago). I myself had a traffic violation- Reckless driving (nothing close to as severe as your case) almost 7 years ago and was asked about it during my interview. Look I'm sorry that our tone is very harsh but things like this are almost unheard of, it's almost like watching a movie and we are just trying to keep it real. Good luck!

The issue is character. It's thuggish and despicable. Would you want this guy to be your mother's doctor? Well, maybe he can get his MD and replace Conrad Murray who just got taken out of circulation....

wow I thought cheating and dui were killers for application... I guess i learn something new everyday lol.

You might have owned up to it here on an anonymous internet forum, which I guess is a good start, but I think this situation is a little more than "people make mistakes when they are young". You told us the whole story and then wrote "I then proceeded to do something I regret..." which you definitely should regret, but you should also regret most of the stuff that happened before you even walked into that professors office. You were doing very bad in a course, then you did bad on the final (which shows you have no mastery of the subject) why should the professor have given you a passing grade? Why would you think it would be ok to even ask for it?? I have seen people ask to be bumped up from a C to a B or something because they were a point away....which still to me is kinda iffy, but usually there is a point or two that you can find somewhere to give. However, in your case you make it sound like you were failing miserably, and then you failed the exam miserably. What you should regret is not going to get a tutor or something and doing it the right way....not just threatening the professor. You should regret sending the email to ask for a passing grade when you didn't earn it, and you should regret going into his office with the intention of trying to "convince" him about anything.

This does not sound to me like a case of "oops I made a wrong decision" but a flaw that comes out when you are stressed, and time isn't going to make that go away. Medical school is STRESSFUL, residency is STRESSFUL and being a doctor is STRESSFUL and the way to prove you have changed is to show you can handle stressful situations like an adult. Honestly, with so many other applicants, I wouldn't want to take a chance on you given the story you posted (and how you wrote it), and if you look at my post history I am usually super positive and I love rooting for the underdogs, and giving people second chances....but in this case, I just don't see it happening.

I do not see how a person charged with reckless driving, and thus is placing an innocnet individual's life at risk is better than what I did. Even worse, someone with a DUI who intentionally will kill someone else driving on the road. In the medical field your sole purpose is to defend and nurture the health of your patients, and individuals who are charged with reckless driving or a DIU, will have a hard time of convincing me that they are capable of knowing the true value of the human life.

I do not see how a person charged with reckless driving, and thus is placing an innocnet individual's life at risk is better than what I did. Even worse, someone with a DUI who intentionally will kill someone else driving on the road. In the medical field your sole purpose is to defend and nurture the health of your patients, and individuals who are charged with reckless driving or a DIU, will have a hard time of convincing me that they are capable of knowing the true value of the human life.

In the state of Virginia driving 20 mph over the speed limit is reckless driving. That means that if you're doing 75 mph in a 55 mph you have committed reckless driving. Please don't even try to act like you have never exceeded the speed limit in your life that would be total bull.

I'm waiting for a new member's first post to be "Student conduct violation for rape: did I ruin my chances at MD?" and all the premeds still respond to him

It will be legen.....wait for it....dary!

Were you sober when you threatened and tried to bribe your professor into giving you a grade you didn't earn but you felt entitled to? I would take the person who didn't realize they had one too many and drove over the person who threatens, intimidates, blames the person they threatened and intimidated and demonstrates in an online forum that they learned exactly nothing from their behavior any day.

Does this remind anybody of a Fresh Prince episode?

You mean the one where Will gets into Princeton and Carlton, fearing that he might not get in, acts like Will, and the Dean only wants to talk about his academic records, however the damage is done, and he threatens the Dean when he said that Carlton wasn't Princeton material? :D

You mean the one where Will gets into Princeton and Carlton, fearing that he might not get in, acts like Will, and the Dean only wants to talk about his academic records, however the damage is done, and he threatens the Dean when he said that Carlton wasn't Princeton material? :D

I think I saw that episode lolol. was will wearing his flower/multicolored patterned suit to the interview?

Reckless driving is a traffic violation and usually is given to individuals that get into automobile accidents or speed. Everyone including doctors and I bet you even the Dean of admissions for some schools probably speeds. Every one gets into a car accident in their life or knows someone that got into a car accident. Not everyone goes around threatening and bribing professors for a better grade though. You have a tough tough road ahead of you buddy might as well find a different career. Reckless driving & DUIs are heard of but what you have done is seriously unheard of which just makes it 10 times worse lol

I think I saw that episode lolol. was will wearing his flower/multicolored patterned suit to the interview?

He turns his school uniform inside out, because he likes the pattern on the inside, so probably. :)

Reckless driving is a traffic violation and usually is given to individuals that get into automobile accidents or speed. Everyone I bet you even including the Dean of admissions for some schools probably speeds and every one gets into a car accident in their life or knows someone that got into a car accident. Not everyone goes around threatening and bribing professors for a better grade though. You have a tough tough road ahead of you buddy might as well find a different career. Reckless driving & DUIs are heard of but what you have done is seriously unheard of lol

If nothing else the OP's actions demonstrate a severe lack of judgement and a general lack of ethics.

If nothing else the OP's actions demonstrate a severe lack of judgement and a general lack of ethics.

Exactly, Integrity is huge in the medical profession and the OP clearly had none. In the end of the day once you lose someones trust it's very hard to get it back. The fact that he thinks traffic violations are more serious than what he did shows you how he truly feels about his actions. What an absolute joke.

I then preceded to do something I regret- In essence I tried to bribe him, by telling him that I would get him fired and that I would be able to get him a better teaching position at another university.

Thank you

jeez...

the first thing you should do before anything is to apologize to the professor for your behavior, whatever action was taken you just have to live with.

Exactly, Integrity is huge in the medical profession and the OP clearly had none. In the end of the day once you lose someones trust it's very hard to get it back. The fact that he thinks traffic violations are more serious than what he did shows you how he truly feels about his actions. What an absolute joke.

Yup. Traffic violations (for the most part) aren't exactly excusable as they often show poor judgement, but you can learn from them. The OP on the other hand goes beyond the pale, ethically speaking, it is not even remotely excusable. One of, if not the most, important bond a physician forms with their patient is trust. If a patient is not trusted by their physician, both patient care and the patient's health are compromised.