About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

Student Conduct Violation (Theft) I have a 3.7GPA

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by Calistizo619, Feb 28, 2012.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So I'm ex-navy Corpsman. I was in my first semester at a 4 year university (I just transferred from community college) and barely 1 year out of the military. Money was pretty tight and I was hungry (I was taking 18 units per semester so long hours at school) so I took a sandwich from the student store without paying for it and got caught. I was handcuffed, written a ticket, ended up paying almost $500 for that sandwich, and had to write an essay about it for the school (essentially I came from a crappy background, been working since I was 13y/o, the sandwich was not affordable and taking it was like my payback to society for my injustices). It didn't end up on my criminal record even as a misdemeanor, but it is on my school record. I apply to med schools this June.

I have tried like CRAZY to make myself into something better than the person who would attempt to steal a sandwich. I've volunteered 4hrs a week with hospice patients for 1.5 years, I train high school students to be catalysts for change to their own schools in regards to the bullying problem, I'm a high school outreach officer for the premed club on campus (I go to various high schools educating underprivileged kids how to get into college and how they can reach their full potential), I've been involved in 2 research groups for almost 1.5 years (psychology-prejuduce, chemistry-nanoparticles), I was a big brother for 2 years until my lil bro's death in 2011, and I have a university GPA of 3.7. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, but with the amount of studying I do, I anticipate getting a decent score.

With all this on the platter I plan on sending out to med schools, how will that student conduct violation affect my application and how bad? Thanks
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  2. Missorleans

Missorleans

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You're not concerned at all about your 2.7 gpa?
  3. Bacchus

Bacchus PGY-Uh Oh Moderator

Resident [Any Field]
    Physician SDN Published Author SDN 5+ Year Member
    The theft has been remediated, it seems. It's more explainable than the GPA of 2.7. Until your GPA breaks 3.0, better yet 3.5, there is no discussion and no reason to apply.
  4. Stumpyman

Stumpyman

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'd be more concerned about the GPA. Stealing doesn't look great, but considering how long it's been and that you've shown you've grown from the situation, I'd say that shouldn't be your largest concern.
  5. coyotelime

coyotelime

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    While the standards on these forums tend to be a bit higher than your average advisor's recommended guidelines, everyone else is right. A 2.7 is too low. Work on getting it to at least a 3.2-3.3 to have a shot at DO schools. Good luck!
  6. dreamweaver1988

dreamweaver1988

Pre-Medical
    Lulz. I would be more worried about your horrible GPA. Just being honest here. You won't get into any MD or DO school with that GPA. HOWEVER, I would also be worried about the theft. How old were you at the time? If you had already done your time in the Navy, then that means you were what, 22? I got in trouble for stealing a matchbox car from a paint store when I was 9...I hope ADCOMs will look past that. IDK about your incident, though.
  7. Dr. Ducky

Dr. Ducky

Medical Student
    Air Force SDN 2+ Year Member
    This. Maybe you have spread yourself too thin with all of your ECs. Try ECs that possibly pay you $. Build app, get money, buy sandwich. Multiple birds with 1 stone!
  8. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    yea, that was supposed to say 3.7, lol
  9. gettheleadout

gettheleadout Useless B.A. Inbound Moderator

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    That's a bit different then haha...

So this was years ago? It was a sandwich and you've shown growth, I wouldn't knock you for it if I were reviewing your app.
  10. Stumpyman

Stumpyman

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good job then, I agree with GTLO, it shouldn't be too big of a deal (and it looks even better that you've not only proven yourself with ECs, you've also proven you're dedicated academically).
  11. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    My real GPA is 3.7. I didn't catch the typo, I was too busy stealing lollipops and gumdrops from the local orphanage.
  12. Neurosurgeon26

Neurosurgeon26

People make mistakes - as long as you build on those mistakes, than your just as strong as the average person who has never made those mistakes. So good for you, keep it up, and don't let it bring you down.

I don't even think that the schools can see that on your record if it's not on your criminal record - if it's just in your school records, how do they see it? Certiphi background check only checks criminal background records from court systems I thought...
  13. sector9

sector9 'He's a loathsome, offensive brute' Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Medical Student
    SDN Published Author hSDN Alumni SDN 2+ Year Member
    They see it because they ask you for any Institutional Actions. At some schools, they'll also see it as part of a committee letter
  14. aSagacious

aSagacious Send in the clowns Moderator Emeritus

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Moving to the 'what are my chances?' forum.
  15. JohnnyRomanes

JohnnyRomanes wussup doge

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not even a mistake. That's your own fault. There's no excuse for that type of stealing.
  16. theseeker4

theseeker4 MS 2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I would be very careful to NOT make the adcoms think the bolded above is still your attitude. That is essentially saying the only thing you regret about stealing the sandwich is getting caught. If that isn't how you feel, make sure you indicate why that attitude was and is wrong, how you've grown, etc. Adcoms won't be enthusiastic about someone who believes things are owed to them when there are plenty of people from disadvantaged pasts who are simply grateful for, instead of feeling entitled to, the opportunity to become a doctor.

Not saying this is what you think, but you need to make sure your real attitude toward the incident is clearly shown, or they will assume you are still as entitled-feeling as you were then.
  17. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    there are different types of stealing? I didn't try to excuse nor say it was a mistake (except in the essay which was essentially the prompt I was given). I take full responsibility. I'm just curious how a med school app review would look at it.
  18. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    Very much understood. That prompt kind of came from a survey/study they said I had to complete after the fact. If anything, I'm sorry it happened, but glad I got caught. I of course came from a background where food was not always on the table and I learned that thought process when I was 6 from my 10 year old cousin. After getting caught, it allowed me to step back and look at myself and where I am now. I don't have to ever think like that again because there's no 3rd party force affecting my life (ie: parents raising me at lower class). Any action I do is completely, 100% my choice and fault and I have to make EVERY right choice from now on. I want the opportunity to be looked up to, not down upon.
  19. theseeker4

theseeker4 MS 2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Sounds like you will be fine, and though you may not attract attention from the top schools and might be asked about it from other schools, I would be surprised if it completely kills your chances. Good luck.
  20. Goro

Goro

Non-Student
    Faculty SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you'll be OK. You show in post below regret and comtemplation of your actions and as long as you use it as a growing experience, it may turn out to be positive. It definitely looks like you've learned from it.

Heck, I once interviewed someone who had a drug smuggling conviction! (he was rejected, naturally) so this is small potatoes.

And thanks for your service to your country.

21. Goro

Goro

Non-Student
    Faculty SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think you'll be OK. You show in post below regret and comtemplation of your actions and as long as you use it as a growing experience, it may turn out to be positive. It definitely looks like you've learned from it.

Heck, I once interviewed someone who had a drug smuggling conviction! (he was rejected, naturally) so this is small potatoes.

And thanks for your service to your country.

22. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    Thanks for the encouragement. :)
  23. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    lol, wow, drug smuggling...well technically mine was a small turkey sandwich as opposed to a potato, but I hope i get someone to review mine who has your experience. Cheers :)
  24. Member10

Member10

I would be shocked if someone read your story and wrote you off for stealing a sandwich you couldn't afford- that would be one heartless individual. I actually think you can use this to your advantage when you explain it on applications. You definitely shouldn't exaggerate the situation and try to manipulate the reader's emotions, but use it as an opportunity to show how you've grown and learned from the mistake.
  25. TriagePreMed

TriagePreMed Removed

SDN 2+ Year Member
    If I were an ADCOM, I'd be pissed listening to the story of a kid that was too hungry and a school that decided to put him on handcuffs. No brainer that this will be overlooked.
  26. serosanguinous

serosanguinous

SDN 2+ Year Member
    i think it will be overlooked, as well, but you will have to explain it on your primary and in interviews. i would go with the "remorse and growth" angle over the "victim of society one".

good luck man. i truly believe everyone deserves a second chance!
  27. Scalpels

Scalpels Watch your fingers...

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, best of luck and thanks for your service to our country!

Also, as someone who used to work in law enforcement, if you're trying to come up with a nice story/excuse about the incident, nothing gets a bigger eyeroll then when you try to assign blame to anything other than fully on you. You have no idea how rare it is to hear someone take full blame.

Oh yeah, sure, some people might start telling you their story and get your hopes up, then they crush it with one single word: "but". Don't say any of that "I see now..." stuff either. It's very open-ended and can lead people to think many different things.

Just some advice from that part of my life. Take it how you will.
  28. ppfizenm

ppfizenm

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    [​IMG]

unless of course this is the OP
  29. Scalpels

Scalpels Watch your fingers...

Pre-Medical
    I know I shouldn't laugh, but I did.
  30. Will2Survive

Will2Survive All it takes is Will

Pre-Medical
    OMG I just cried from looking at that pic.
  31. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    it's so hard not to laugh at child obesity if there are any comments that follow it:)

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I just turned in my school committee packet and spoke with my med school adviser and she is telling me what most of you have. Thanks a whole bunch!
  32. flodhi1

flodhi1

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Theft from a former military personal? I'm sorry that's just really sad no matter the situation.
  33. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    So I got a 32 on my MCAT and I am applying tonight. I wrote this on my institutional action section and had it approved by my Pre Health advisor. Opinions are welcomed! Thanks for all the feedback!
    When I was hungry, I took a sandwich without paying for it because money was tight. After being disciplined, I took the initiative to seek therapy in order to get some causal reasons for my actions and ways to correct my thinking. I had learned how to steal candy when I was 5 from my older cousin. I stole very few times after that, but without ever being caught the negative values were never taught to me at an early age. Also, the many hardships from moving often, my parents' unemployment issues and bankruptcy, and working since the age of 13, I have always held on to an instinctual survival thought process. I feel this incident was necessary in order to force me to take a step back and look at my current life in relation to where I was previously. Being in the military and now being able to support myself while in school has allowed me to fulfill my needs for shelter, food, and daily living necessities. Without constantly worrying about my basic needs, I had more space and time for personal development which I did not waste. I want to be someone who can grow from the many challenges they went through in order to lead from example. I have plenty of younger cousins and friends who are experiencing similar hardships and I would like to be a source of inspiration for them.
  34. Calistizo619

Calistizo619

Pre-Medical
    Agreed, but compared to peeing on the corpses of Iraqi people to shooting innocent men, women, and children of Afghanistan, I'm hoping I have more of a chance to redeem myself.
  35. theseeker4

theseeker4 MS 2

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not on an Adcom, but I personally would cut a bit of the "these are the hardships that led me to this" and put in a lot more "this is why I was wrong, how I realized I was wrong, and why it will never happen again." Just me, YMMV.