Student Conduct Violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyork1111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering if the following violations would severely impede me from getting into medical school

Residence Life and Housing policy on alcohol

University Alcohol and Drug Abuse Policy by possessing or consuming alcohol under the age of 21 and for purposefully misrepresenting himself or deceiving others, making false reports of emergencies, lying, or creating, using or possessing false documents, identification, or access devices

intentionally misusing, damaging, or tampering with fire or other safety equipment, including covering or disabling a smoke detector

the first two violations happened during my freshman year (over 3 years ago)

I plan to explain myself on the AMCAS with the following statement:

During my freshman year, there were two instances where I was found in violation of student conduct. My first violation occurred while I was in my friend’s dorm room. As a result of loud music coming being played in the room, an RA was called to tell the residents to turn down the music. Upon entering the room, the RA found a large number of people in the room and alcohol present in the room. The RA then deemed it was appropriate to write everybody in the room up. Consequently, even though I had not been drinking, I was written up because I was one of the many individuals in the dorm room when the RA walked in.
My second violation occurred while I was walking back to my dorm room one night. A school cop stopped me thinking I had consumed alcohol during the night. The school cop then asked to search me and I complied, trying to be as cooperative as possible. The school cop then went through my wallet and found a fake ID with my picture on it. As a result, I was reported to the school was thus charged in violation of the school’s student conduct but no legal actions were taken against me. I immediately completed the requirements of my sanctions.
During my senior year, the school found me in violation of the fire code. During winter break, my RA inspected every room in the building I lived in. While inspecting my room, which I shared with my roommate, my RA found some wall decorations hung up by my roommate that were in violation of the fire code because of the proximity of these decorations to the fire alarm in my room. As a result, he reported us to the office of campus life. My roommate and I were not aware that these decorations were a violation of fire code and immediately placed them elsewhere, away from the fire alarm, when we were notified. Upon speaking with the school, a counselor within the office campus life acknowledged that the placement of the decorations was an honest mistake.
I deeply regret the lapse of judgment I exhibited during those two instances during my freshman year that resulted in conduct violations. I have since tried to portray myself in manner that accurately represents who I really am – a committed scholar and community member. As a result, aside from the honest mistake in how my roommate and I decorated our room during our senior year, I have exercised good judgment and have not had any conduct violations since my two violations during my freshman year. As I mentioned before, I learned from these two violations during my freshman year and have grown a lot since then, thus I am certain that such lapses of judgment will not occur in Medical School.

I know it's a lot to read but I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight if these infractions will offer a major road block in my application process.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It appears as if you were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time for the alcohol violation. For the fire detector issue it looks as if it really wasn't your fault and I can't believe that they busted you for hanging up decorations. The fake ID issue is what may be your downfall. I could see adcoms overlooking the alcohol and fire detector issue but a fake ID? They are going to question your honesty. You need to explain this fake ID thing more. They are going to be wondering about that. I think the other descriptions are good. Good luck.

Last edited:
First off, the RA's/campus security at your school are insane, crazy d**kholes. Can I take a shot... is it NYU?

Second, let's be real... no where is going to judge you for drinking alcohol at the age of 18/19/whatever. The legal age should really be more like 18 anyway.

Just be upfront with all of these things. Honesty is the best way to deal with it. I predict that you'll be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, the RA's/campus security at your school are insane, crazy d**kholes. Can I take a shot... is it NYU?

Second, let's be real... no where is going to judge you for drinking alcohol at the age of 18/19/whatever. The legal age should really be more like 18 anyway.

Just be upfront with all of these things. Honesty is the best way to deal with it. I predict that you'll be fine.

so do you think I will be fine by using the description i posted for describing these institutional actions on the AMCAS

Hey, I was wondering if the following violations would severely impede me from getting into medical school

Residence Life and Housing policy on alcohol

University Alcohol and Drug Abuse Policy by possessing or consuming alcohol under the age of 21 and for purposefully misrepresenting himself or deceiving others, making false reports of emergencies, lying, or creating, using or possessing false documents, identification, or access devices

intentionally misusing, damaging, or tampering with fire or other safety equipment, including covering or disabling a smoke detector

the first two violations happened during my freshman year (over 3 years ago)

I plan to explain myself on the AMCAS with the following statement:

During my freshman year, there were two instances where I was found in violation of student conduct. My first violation occurred while I was in my friend’s dorm room. As a result of loud music coming being played in the room, an RA was called to tell the residents to turn down the music. Upon entering the room, the RA found a large number of people in the room and alcohol present in the room. The RA then deemed it was appropriate to write everybody in the room up. Consequently, even though I had not been drinking, I was written up because I was one of the many individuals in the dorm room when the RA walked in.
My second violation occurred while I was walking back to my dorm room one night. A school cop stopped me thinking I had consumed alcohol during the night. The school cop then asked to search me and I complied, trying to be as cooperative as possible. The school cop then went through my wallet and found a fake ID with my picture on it. As a result, I was reported to the school was thus charged in violation of the school’s student conduct but no legal actions were taken against me. I immediately completed the requirements of my sanctions.
During my senior year, the school found me in violation of the fire code. During winter break, my RA inspected every room in the building I lived in. While inspecting my room, which I shared with my roommate, my RA found some wall decorations hung up by my roommate that were in violation of the fire code because of the proximity of these decorations to the fire alarm in my room. As a result, he reported us to the office of campus life. My roommate and I were not aware that these decorations were a violation of fire code and immediately placed them elsewhere, away from the fire alarm, when we were notified. Upon speaking with the school, a counselor within the office campus life acknowledged that the placement of the decorations was an honest mistake.
I deeply regret the lapse of judgment I exhibited during those two instances during my freshman year that resulted in conduct violations. I have since tried to portray myself in manner that accurately represents who I really am – a committed scholar and community member. As a result, aside from the honest mistake in how my roommate and I decorated our room during our senior year, I have exercised good judgment and have not had any conduct violations since my two violations during my freshman year. As I mentioned before, I learned from these two violations during my freshman year and have grown a lot since then, thus I am certain that such lapses of judgment will not occur in Medical School.

I know it's a lot to read but I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight if these infractions will offer a major road block in my application process.

Thanks.

Do not say "cop" in your app - it's a slang term and might even offend some people. It almost seems like you're trying to avoid responsibility for your actions by saying the cop found a fake ID in your wallet with your picture on it. I know that's not what you're trying to do, but you really need to let them know that you're taking full responsibility, especially because that's a major crime in many states. Be completely honest about your possession of a fake ID and speak more about what you learned from the experience.

I don't think this is going to affect you much at all. Everyone does stupid things in college you just appear to have gone to an incredibly uptight one! Be upfront about it and you will be fine.

Survivor DO

the alcohol and the fire detector should be non-issues

however, the fake ID possession MAY raise some eyebrows, but even that shouldn't be a major issue, especially considering that it happened freshman year.

tighten up your explanation (you only get 1300 characters on the AMCAS), and don't blame anybody else or how unreasonable the school is. simply state the facts, say what you learned from the ordeal, and leave out unnecessary/irrelevant information.

I had to talk to the Dean twice for being being caught drinking underage 4 years ago. I totally forgot about it until I saw this post. Does this kind of stuff go on your school record? Is there any way to find out? Frankly I was about to skip that section in the AMCAS.

Concur with this. Everyone is stupid plenty of times in their youth (I cringe at some things I did!)...but the fake ID think just bothers me...I think you're going to have to take this one on the chin and explain it well at interviews. As other have suggested, own your mistakes.

the alcohol and the fire detector should be non-issues

however, the fake ID possession MAY raise some eyebrows, but even that shouldn't be a major issue, especially considering that it happened freshman year.

tighten up your explanation (you only get 1300 characters on the AMCAS), and don't blame anybody else or how unreasonable the school is. simply state the facts, say what you learned from the ordeal, and leave out unnecessary/irrelevant information.

I had to talk to the Dean twice for being being caught drinking underage 4 years ago. I totally forgot about it until I saw this post. Does this kind of stuff go on your school record? Is there any way to find out? Frankly I was about to skip that section in the AMCAS.

that depends entirely on your school's policy.

AMCAS requires you to disclose any "institutional action" the school took against you as a result of any sort of "conduct violation". the wording is quite vague, and the AMCAS explicitly tells you to "confirm your record" with your school if you are unsure whether or not you received an "institutional action".

a "warning" for an alcohol violation might be regarded as an IA at school A, but a similar sanction for a similar violation might not be regarded as an IA at school B. it all depends on the policy of your school and whether or not your school treats your sanction as an IA.

typically, schools use "disciplinary action" instead of "institutional action".

go to your dean's office and confirm.

I don't know man... If you get rejected because of the fake ID I think you COULD be the Supreme Court case of the decade. Get that drinking age back down where it should be.

Concur with this. Everyone is stupid plenty of times in their youth (I cringe at some things I did!)...but the fake ID think just bothers me...I think you're going to have to take this one on the chin and explain it well at interviews. As other have suggested, own your mistakes.

This.

Just explain why you had the fake ID. They already know it was to get into bars/drink/clubs.

So the fact that you are honest with them now should help a lot.

Chances are that they have done it during their college years..