Student Loan Master Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that there isn't a master student loan. I'm talking student loan forgiveness/remission, etc. Is there a master list of programs? I know there are some programs where if you work at the VA for a while, your loan is forgiven. If you work for a social service program, it's forgiven... If you work in rural areas... etc. I keep hearing about them, but I can't find information online about them. Help?

Along the same lines, I heard that was a page on the APA that had lists of intern sites and their minimum requirements. I couldn't find that either. Anyone have that page?

Members don't see this ad.

APIC has a searchable list, I'd start there for internship stuff. Also, remember that loan forgiveness is not automatic, and our current governmental makeup is not one that I'd want to bet on for those programs to be expanded at all. Heck, I'd be worried that they'd actually start scaling it back for federal loans. They're not exactly higher education friendly.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
NIH has loan repayment for those in primary research roles as well. I believe you can re-apply every year, but have no clue what the lifetime cap (if any) is.

Oh, and the VA also has its own loan repayment benefit (in addition to public service loan forgiveness, which theoretically applies to any non-profit employer). I think it's capped at somewhere around $20k/year, if I'm remembering correctly. And it's something that A) needs to be listed as available in the job posting, and B) needs to be negotiated as part of the hiring process.

Fedloanservicing services the Public Service Loan Forgiveness loans. Google Public Service Loan Forgiveness and the info will pop up.

I didn't follow all the links, but IHS is another source of loan repayment, as well as for working at a FQHC (I'm pretty sure that's covered in another link though.) Their repayment plan is $50k a year for a specified number of years (I forget).

A good thing about the IHS repayment is that it's tax exempt :). While IHS has poor median salaries, the benefits are excellent. In some other repayment programs you typically have to pay taxes on the pay-off amount. I think that's something you should be prepared for! The IHS plan will pay $60k a year up to two years...

Both of these plans you have to be approved for after fulfilling certain time requirements, and you can reapply both after being approved and/or turned down.

I didn't follow all the links, but IHS is another source of loan repayment, as well as for working at a FQHC (I'm pretty sure that's covered in another link though.) Their repayment plan is $50k a year for a specified number of years (I forget).

A good thing about the IHS repayment is that it's tax exempt :). While IHS has poor median salaries, the benefits are excellent. In some other repayment programs you typically have to pay taxes on the pay-off amount. I think that's something you should be prepared for! The IHS plan will pay $60k a year up to two years...

Both of these plans you have to be approved for after fulfilling certain time requirements, and you can reapply both after being approved and/or turned down.

I actually believe IHS pays $40k total for the first two-year commitment, after which you can "re-up" annually (at which point I'd imagine they pay $20k/year) until your loans are paid off or until you leave IHS.

FQHC, as mentioned, is covered above and is essentially the same thing as NHSC loan repayment. They pay either $30k or $50k total, based on the rating of the facility, for a two-year full-time commitment or $15k/25k (again based on rating) for a half-time commitment.

Reactions: 1 users
Ahh thanks for the correction :) My practicum is at an clinic that receives partial funding from IHS. My co-workers reported receiving 60K for a two year period (and I see the additional mis-type in my post now), so I'm not sure if this was a past award amount or misinformation? The bragging rights were that it was more than the FQHC amount, so I don't think I mis-heard, but who knows.

Ahh thanks for the correction :) My practicum is at an clinic that receives partial funding from IHS. My co-workers reported receiving 60K for a two year period (and I see the additional mis-type in my post now), so I'm not sure if this was a past award amount or misinformation? The bragging rights were that it was more than the FQHC amount, so I don't think I mis-heard, but who knows.

Hmm, not sure about that. Maybe the person was just being disingenuous, misunderstood the amount themselves, or somehow secured additional awards. My info was just based on a quick search of the IHS website, although things might've changed for this year (although you'd imagine they would put that info online).

Hmm, not sure about that. Maybe the person was just being disingenuous, misunderstood the amount themselves, or somehow secured additional awards. My info was just based on a quick search of the IHS website, although things might've changed for this year (although you'd imagine they would put that info online).
http://www.ihs.gov/careeropps/loanrepayment/ They can receive $60,000. But it varies on the situation of the clinician.

So I went and double checked the website to see if I could sort what I heard out. The IHS program is pretty much as AA outlined. Then, when you go down further, there is the paragraph that Dashiz references, "Clinicians may be eligible to receive an initial award of up to $60,000 for two years of full-time service or four years of half-time service. Continued service provides the opportunity to pay off all qualified health professional student loans." However, this paragraph is under the "NHSC Loan Repayment Program" heading. It says to follow the link to the NHSC program, which on that site then states the amount is 50K for two years of full-time service -- and is the same exact link that Smalltown put above.

So, in all, it's about as clear as mud ;) At least interested readers have several programs to research if they would like to work in the IHS system. Or clinics that serve the Native American population -- such as mine.