Student Veterans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jthinson123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any fellow veterans out there who have successfully completed medical school? Any advice? I'm a veteran who was medically retired back in December. I start my undergraduate studies in the spring. I will be majoring in psychology and minoring in philosophy. My goal is to become a psychiatrist. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any fellow veterans out there who have successfully completed medical school? Any advice? I'm a veteran who was medically retired back in December. I start my undergraduate studies in the spring. I will be majoring in psychology and minoring in philosophy. My goal is to become a psychiatrist. Thanks guys!
I am also a veteran, but I am still in the pre-med phase. I just had my first med school interview two days ago.
I met many fellow veterans in undergrad, but most were unsuccessful as students. Being medically retired, you have a lot of benefits to consider. I would advise you to to research vocational rehab. If you haven't been a student in a while, make sure you are 100% ready before you start your classes. There are many veteran/physicians on these forums, but most med schools only have about 2-5% of their enrollment as veterans.
If you are Texan, there is also the Hazlewood.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
<--- Marine (civ status per the ALMAR) pre-med. Just make sure you understand that of all of the science prerequisite courses required by medical schools, you major and minor cover basically none of it. Read all the things. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

I left the Army in 2010. Did 2 years of classes/applications. Finished med school this last summer and am an orthopedic surgery resident this year. There is no special advice for veterans. Get good grades. Study hard for the MCAT. Get research experience. Volunteer/shadow to give exposure to the profession.

There is some great advice on this thread. Read it. Know what you are getting into. Work as hard or harder than your traditional peers. Being a veteran is a bonus that will help you stand out but you still need the grades and scores to get your foot in the door.

Good luck.

If you have other means to support yourself, use pell grants and scholarships to pay for undergrad. Save GI bill for med school if you can.

Reactions: 1 users

Vet status is often said to be the ultimate EC. If you can do relatively well academically and get all the other standard pre-med stuff done, you should be able to reach your goal. Since it sounds like this will be your first college experience, my only advice is to ease into it. Get some good study habits and grades under your belt with less challenging courses and a less demanding schedule. Then move on to the harder stuff. Good luck!