Students applying to USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!
I'm wondering if anyone has applied to USC (early decision?) I'm anxiously awaiting the admissions decisions, and thought maybe we could start a thread for those of us waiting together!

Also, I have a question about OTCAS - how long does it typically take to verify? I only submitted mine about a week and a half ago, and I know it can take up to 4 weeks...

Members don't see this ad.

I just received my early decision acceptance letter today! Mine took 3+ weeks to verify and then I received a message (had to log in to see it; no email) that my transcripts were not received. After that it probably took another week or two. Good luck!

Congrats on the acceptances to the two from last cycle!

Any applicants out there for Summer 2013? Please post when you hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptances to the two from last cycle!

Any applicants out there for Summer 2013? Please post when you hear back.

I'm going to assume that you haven't heard yet, and reply that I haven't heard either - though I keep expecting to any day now. I've heard back from another school already and would like to know about USC so that I can make a move one way or the other. Good luck!

I'm going to assume that you haven't heard yet, and reply that I haven't heard either - though I keep expecting to any day now. I've heard back from another school already and would like to know about USC so that I can make a move one way or the other. Good luck!

Nice! I don't have any back-ups right now, so I am very anxious about the whole process. My stats aren't very competitive, but I am very hopeful.

What was the other school you got into and what is your first choice? Can I assume that you are applying for the doctorate program based on your post in that other thread about Washington University? Nevertheless, good luck! Let me know when you hear from them.

Nice! I don't have any back-ups right now, so I am very anxious about the whole process. My stats aren't very competitive, but I am very hopeful.

What was the other school you got into and what is your first choice? Can I assume that you are applying for the doctorate program based on your post in that other thread about Washington University? Nevertheless, good luck! Let me know when you hear from them.

So, yes, Washington University was the other school. I only applied there and USC, and may still apply to Columbia. Each program/school has its distinct advantages and disadvantages, so it'll be tough making the final decision.

I understand about feeling anxious about the whole process, and I've just learned to trust (or hope!) that admissions people can recognize quality applicants, whatever their stats may be. We're all definitely more than just numbers! Good luck!

I believe they're going to start reviewing applications for early admission on Dec 17.

I believe they're going to start reviewing applications for early admission on Dec 17.

Can I ask where you got that date? I was told that the latest we would actually hear would be Dec 20.

One of the admission's officers told me that they would start the review next week. I'm assuming she means Monday of next week.

Can I ask where you got that date? I was told that the latest we would actually hear would be Dec 20.

Congrats on your acceptance to Washington University!

About that date (Dec 20th), may I ask where and when you heard that?

I check the status of my online application so much that I've memorized my complicated USC pin.

Thanks for the updates, guys. Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance to Washington University!

About that date (Dec 20th), may I ask where and when you heard that?

I check the status of my online application so much that I've memorized my complicated USC pin.

Thanks for the updates, guys. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks!

One of the admissions people told me this at one of the information sessions back in October, and while I didn't think I had, maybe I misheard them and they actually said that they'd be starting reviews at the latest at that time. Not sure, but would love to know sooner rather than later, of course!

Thanks!

One of the admissions people told me this at one of the information sessions back in October, and while I didn't think I had, maybe I misheard them and they actually said that they'd be starting reviews at the latest at that time. Not sure, but would love to know sooner rather than later, of course!

Thanks for the info!

It looks like I'm not going to get processed for early decision. I called several times and I was misinformed that they had received all transcripts but one. That one transcript was supposed to be merged with the correct file, but it was never done. Anyway, it's been a whole mess and I find out that they have been missing two this whole time.

I also thought because my status said "we are reviewing your application" it meant that they received everything, especially since I didn't get a reply from my email.

For those who have not been admitted yet, what does your status say on the USC application?

Thanks!

And I am very sad about missing the deadline to say the least.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I got a letter from USC that they will review my application for regular deadline Feb 15th.

The letter says: " Because of large number of application received this year, and the policy of admitting less than half of the anticipated class size with early decision deadine, the committee will including your app with those reviewed for Feb 15th deadline"

My question is how many will they admit for early decision ?, and how many spot will be left for us (regular decision)?

Anyone has an idea?

I believe they admit 50 for early admission and 50 for regular decision. They have a total class size of 100.

Hopefully they will admit about 30 or 40 students for early decision, and leave 60 spots for the regular ones.

Never mind, you're probably right. I got the same letter from them and it said that they admit less than half for early admission, so probably 30-40 for early and 60-70 for regular. Good luck!

Never mind, you're probably right. I got the same letter from them and it said that they admit less than half for early admission, so probably 30-40 for early and 60-70 for regular. Good luck!

Thanks for the update. Were you surprised to receive that letter? I'm surprised - I remember seeing your stats and thinking you were a competitive applicant. Good luck!

I also received a letter, but it was to tell me that my application is incomplete. However, they didn't mention anything about the Feb deadline and I wonder if it is just implied that I'm pushed with the other batch of applicants. I guess I'll just wait till the office is open to ask.

Did anyone else have trouble getting processed for early?

Aw, thanks =)

I'm a little surprised. One of the admissions officers told me I had a good chance of being admitted, but that my application would be stronger with a higher GRE score (although I guess that would always be the case unless you get a perfect score). Unfortunately they didn't get my Anatomy grade soon enough to use it during the review process, so I think that may be the reason why I wasn't admitted.

I was told by an admissions officer that if you aren't admitted for early admissions, they review your application again only after all the regular admits. I have a feeling that they would put your application in the regular batch if they haven't actually reviewed it yet.

I am also anxiously waiting to hear back from USC for early decision. Did you guys receive an email or a letter in the mail? Would it say my decision if I log in to my account? I swear I log in like 10 times a day but it still just says my application is complete and awaiting a decision.

waiting sucks :/

I am also anxiously waiting to hear back from USC for early decision. Did you guys receive an email or a letter in the mail? Would it say my decision if I log in to my account? I swear I log in like 10 times a day but it still just says my application is complete and awaiting a decision.

waiting sucks :/

I just got mine (accepted :) )sometime in the last couple of days. It was dated December 19. I'm up in the Bay Area, so I imagine that depending on where one is, he or she might get his or hers earlier or later. And the status of my application in my USC account is still the same: submitted.

I just got mine (accepted :) )sometime in the last couple of days. It was dated December 19. I'm up in the Bay Area, so I imagine that depending on where one is, he or she might get his or hers earlier or later. And the status of my application in my USC account is still the same: submitted.

Congrats on your acceptance! When do you have to respond by? I see that you're from the Bay Area, did you apply to SJSU? Are you considering that school? I ask because I am applying there and do not know where I would rather go to. I am from Los Angeles area though.

Congrats on your acceptance! When do you have to respond by? I see that you're from the Bay Area, did you apply to SJSU? Are you considering that school? I ask because I am applying there and do not know where I would rather go to. I am from Los Angeles area though.

Thanks! They gave me a mid-January date to respond. I didn't apply to SJSU, mostly because I wasn't able to complete all the prereqs in time, but also because I thought it would be nice to get out of the Bay Area to study (I grew up and did my undergrad here).

Hey guys! I'm reviving this thread from previous years' USC early admit hopefuls. The board seems to be super quiet around USC this year...not sure why. Anyone else out there apply early/waiting on pins and needles too?

Peachiepizzazz,

i am. My application was deferred from last year, so there wasn't much to update, and it's been sitting in their office for months. Anyway, nothing so far.

Is USC your first choice?

Peachiepizzazz,

i am. My application was deferred from last year, so there wasn't much to update, and it's been sitting in their office for months. Anyway, nothing so far.

Is USC your first choice?

Well...I applied early because the program itself looks really incredible, and students rave about the experience in the OT dept there. I love that it is a research university so the environment we'd be in would be on the cutting edge of the profession. In terms of intellectual excitement it is absolutely my first choice. Only issue is the price tag, of course...I just got into CSUDH and also applied to SJSU (though haven't heard back yet) so cost is of course a huge factor to think about. Not sure how I would handle it yet if faced with the choice, but I guess I'll cross that bridge if/when I get there...

@hotpebbles is USC your first choice?

Hi Hotpebbles&Peachiepizzazz,
I also applied to USC for early decision this cycle and am anxiously waiting. Congrats on CSUDH Peachiepizzazz :)

Good luck to everyone!

Does anyone know - if you apply after the early decision deadline, do they not review your application at all until Feb.? Really not excited to have to wait that long if so! :(

Hey guys! I'm reviving this thread from previous years' USC early admit hopefuls. The board seems to be super quiet around USC this year...not sure why. Anyone else out there apply early/waiting on pins and needles too?
I applied to USC early decision months ago. I just sent an email to Director Kelly asking when we will hear back, and through what medium (mail, online, etc.). Good luck everyone!

Let me know what she says! I am so anxious to hear back from them, this waiting period is so nerve-wrecking. But good luck to you too! :)

Let me know what she says! I am so anxious to hear back from them, this waiting period is so nerve-wrecking. But good luck to you too! :)
Hi! They just got back to me...they said that they are now reviewing early decision applications, and that they will send letters by the first of the year.

@Idealistic87 , did your USC application status update to: "YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION SOON VIA POSTAL MAIL. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY. WE DO NOT DISCLOSE ADMISSION DECISIONS VIA E-MAIL, TELEPHONE, OR ANY OTHER MEANS." ?

@Idealistic87 , did your USC application status update to: "YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION SOON VIA POSTAL MAIL. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY. WE DO NOT DISCLOSE ADMISSION DECISIONS VIA E-MAIL, TELEPHONE, OR ANY OTHER MEANS." ?

yep! that's what mine says too

I'm nervous now! Mine application status still says "YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION. YOU MAY CHECK THIS SYSTEM PERIODICALLY FOR UPDATES, AND IF THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT REQUIRES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR RENDERS AN ADMISSION DECISION, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED." Oh man. I hope I (and you both) find out soon. It seems odd that they won't tell you in any other form other than the slowest one (mail.)

How did you guys check you app status? Would anyone mind posting a link to the page please? Thanks!!

Hi! My status still says "Submitted", so I am a little worried. I applied on August 30th (way early), and I'm afraid this means that my app got lost in the system. I'm going to call or email them.

How did you guys check you app status? Would anyone mind posting a link to the page please? Thanks!!

To check your application status, go to the graduate admissions website: https://app.applyyourself.com/AYApplicantLogin/fl_ApplicantLogin.asp?id=USC-GRAD . Then log in using the PIN and password that was given to you when you created your USC application. Right after you log in, your status should be listed on the first page you see. I hope that helps!!

Also, I received an email from the USC Office of Graduate Admissions today. Last month, I found out that they didn't receive one of my transcripts so I re-sent it and followed up with them through email. It took them 2 weeks to respond but they finally emailed me back saying: Thank you for your inquiry. The transcript has been received. Your file is complete and we are in the final phase of the decision process. Official decisions from the Office of Admission are provided by mail only.
Just to clarify, I received this email from the general Office of Admissions, NOT from the OT department. But I have a feeling we'll be hearing back any day now! Based on threads from last year and the year before, it seems like people started hearing back during the week before Christmas, which would be THIS week for us. Fingers crossed!!

Thank you! I was actually looking in the right place but my status also only says submitted and all my materials were received in September. I have emailed Sarah Kelly. I hope my app hasn't been misplaced!

Goodluck everyone! I've been anxiously checking the mail everyday !

Liz (who is filling in for Sarah Kelly) just emailed me back. She said that my app is not lost, and that they are reviewing it for early decision. My status still says "SUBMITTED", but now I'm not worried. :) She again said that we will find out by the 1st of the year.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got an email from Sarah Kelly saying that I didn't get into early decision, but that they will review my app a second time for the February 15th deadline. I'm bummed. Anyone else hear back via email just now?

Last edited:
I just got an email from Sarah Kelly saying that I didn't get into early decision, but that they will review my app a second time for the February 15th deadline. I'm bummed. Anyone else hear back via email just now?

Same here! Although I wasn't too bummed after reading that the admissions was "encouraged by several aspects" of my file. (I wonder if they tell everyone that though) Sarah told me to consider retaking my GRE's since I was only slightly below the minimum for the Verbal.

Don't lose hope! Try to contact them and see what you need to work on. The main reason why I applied ED was because I knew I had questionable scores and to get some feedback. Nice to know that's the only part I need to work on.

I just received my acceptance letter in the mail today! It was dated 12/14/13

Same here! Got my acceptance today. The letter was also dated 12/14/2013.

Reactions: 1 user
awesome, congrats @jkmura and @Kiera !! people who have gotten decisions (one way or the other) mind posting some stats?

thanksss :)

UC Irvine '13 Psychology&Social Behavior major, Education minor
GPA: 3.72 cum laude
GRE: V-153 Q-161 AW-4.5
OT Experience: 200+ hours at a martial-arts based clinic, 60+ hours at a pediatric clinic and various other related healthcare experience (200+hrs)

I really emphasized my passion for OT in my personal statement, explaining how I have known that I wanted to pursue OT since middle school, began shadowing in high school and graduated a year early from college to pursue OT sooner..so maybe that helped me?

Goodluck! :)

Same here! Although I wasn't too bummed after reading that the admissions was "encouraged by several aspects" of my file. (I wonder if they tell everyone that though) Sarah told me to consider retaking my GRE's since I was only slightly below the minimum for the Verbal.

Don't lose hope! Try to contact them and see what you need to work on. The main reason why I applied ED was because I knew I had questionable scores and to get some feedback. Nice to know that's the only part I need to work on.
They definitely didn't say that to me, so that's a good thing for you! I might email them and ask what I can do to strengthen my app. I'm retaking the GRE the last week of January. Shooting for 1300 and a 4 on the analytical writing!

awesome, congrats @jkmura and @Kiera !! people who have gotten decisions (one way or the other) mind posting some stats?

thanksss :)
Undergraduate Institution: UCSD
Major: Political science
Cumulative GPA (so far, but this should go up once my academic update has been processed): 3.54
GRE: 161 Verbal; 150 Quantitative; 3.5 Analytical Writing

Thanks guys! I got a positive decision letter in the mail yesterday as well. :) It was also dated December 14th, but I live in the bay area so took a bit longer to mail. Good luck to all still waiting to hear back. This is a tough process, but I'm sure everyone will eventually end up where they need to be.

Thanks guys! I got a positive decision letter in the mail yesterday as well. :) It was also dated December 14th, but I live in the bay area so took a bit longer to mail. Good luck to all still waiting to hear back. This is a tough process, but I'm sure everyone will eventually end up where they need to be.

Congrats peachiepizzazz!! :) That is awesome. I am applying for the regular application. Do you mind sharing your stat? I just took my first GRE last week and didn't do so well so I need to take it again. I am a bit worried about not scoring high on verbal :(