Students applying to USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats to everyone admitted. I applied. OTCAS took less than a week to verify. I submitted around 11/20 and was approved by 11/26 was verified. I had already sent my GRE to USC. After USC received my OTCAS- they emailed for me to send transcripts (again) and finish my online application. So I did not officially apply to USC till 12/15 isn. ^^^ I have been in contact with the admissions office (they are great for such a large program) but they said that with the GRE, GPA scores - you need to make three out of the 4 to be considered... so if you did poorly in one of the areas- then you should still be good. I was 1 point away from the required verbal.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone admitted. I applied. OTCAS took less than a week to verify. I submitted around 11/20 and was approved by 11/26 was verified. I had already sent my GRE to USC. After USC received my OTCAS- they emailed for me to send transcripts (again) and finish my online application. So I did not officially apply to USC till 12/15 isn. ^^^ I have been in contact with the admissions office (they are great for such a large program) but they said that with the GRE, GPA scores - you need to make three out of the 4 to be considered... so if you did poorly in one of the areas- then you should still be good. I was 1 point away from the required verbal.
---- I also just did a OTCAS update for fall courses. SO that has not been verified yet.

Hi Lucys1024,
Thanks for sharing that info. But I have a quick question about what you said about 3 out of 4. So are the 4 criteria GPA, LOR, GRE, personal essay? For example, if I barely meet their required verbal score but are strong in 3 other criteria, then it means I still have a chance?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am sorry- that was ambiguous. 4 requirements: V,W,Q (GRE), GPA. I really did not want to retest and I am not a good test taker. I had emailed about if they even considered/ looked at applications slightly below the requirements listed on OTCAS. They said that as long as you meet three out of those 4 they will consider you. I met- GPA, Q, W, one point below V. I hope my personal statement and LOR are strong. haha. I was passionate and emotional in my OTCAS and to the point, determined, passionate in my USC. I applied all over because you never know what they want or what makes you a good fit. Argh. I am nervous counting down the days till I get a letter.

I am sorry- that was ambiguous. 4 requirements: V,W,Q (GRE), GPA. I really did not want to retest and I am not a good test taker. I had emailed about if they even considered/ looked at applications slightly below the requirements listed on OTCAS. They said that as long as you meet three out of those 4 they will consider you. I met- GPA, Q, W, one point below V. I hope my personal statement and LOR are strong. haha. I was passionate and emotional in my OTCAS and to the point, determined, passionate in my USC. I applied all over because you never know what they want or what makes you a good fit. Argh. I am nervous counting down the days till I get a letter.
No worries :) Thanks for clarifying that for me. It is sort of relieving to know that as long as I meet 3 out of 4 I can still apply. Cuz right now I didn't meet their V requirement. I am not a good test taker either, I got 150 on my first GRE and since it is below the required minimum I am going to retake it, hopefully I will do better on the next one.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats to all got accepted :)
But I have a question, did you complete all the required pre-reqs at the time of application? I am still missing Anatomy and Physiology because I didn't get to register for these classes (it is so hard to add these classes at community colleges, I got waitlisted each time :() I know that most of schools require anatomy and physiology scores when you apply(and this makes you a stronger applicant) but Sarah Kelly told me not having grades for these two science courses actually does not weaken my application. But I am curious if those of you who got accepted have taken theses classes or not yet.
If I get accepted to USC, I plan on taking the accelerated anatomy, physiology courses offered at USC right before the program starts.
I would greatly appreciate it if you can share your status on these two courses. Thank you! :)

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who was accepted, and good luck to those still applying! I also got my acceptance last week! My stats:

Undergrad: UCLA
Major: Neuroscience, Biomedical Research Minor
OTCAS GPA: 3.55
Pre-req GPA: 4.0
GRE: Verbal-159, Quant-160, Writing-3.5
OT Observations: 80 hours in school-based setting
Extracurriculars: 3 years research assistant, completed senior research thesis, over 1 year ABA therapist/case manager, volunteer for special needs summer camp
LOR: 1 professor, 1 supervisor from work, 1 supervisor from volunteer site

Congrats to all got accepted :) But I have a question, did you complete all the required pre-reqs at the time of application? I am still missing Anatomy and Physiology because I didn't get to register for these classes (it is so hard to add these classes at community colleges, I got waitlisted each time :() I know that most of schools require anatomy and physiology scores when you apply(and this makes you a stronger applicant) but Sarah Kelly told me not having grades for these two science courses actually do not weaken my application. But I am curious if those of you who got accepted have taken theses classes or not yet.
If I get accepted to USC, I plan on taking the accelerated anatomy, physiology courses offered at USC right before the program starts.
I would greatly appreciate it if you can share your status on these two courses. Thank you! :)

When I applied, I still had Physiology and Sociology in progress. This means that I was accepted even though they didn't have my Physiology grade. However, I would try to avoid taking accelerated courses in both Anatomy and Physiology, if you can. Both classes can be very demanding. Even though I pulled off A's in Anatomy and Physiology, it was still a lot of work and I took the classes during different semesters. I know people who tried to take both courses together and they ended up dropping Physiology because it was really overwhelming to balance both. But if you get accepted without those classes, then at that point, you wouldn't have to stress about getting an A, and maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Try to take one of them earlier if you can though! Good luck!

When I applied, I still had Physiology and Sociology in progress. This means that I was accepted even though they didn't have my Physiology grade. However, I would try to avoid taking accelerated courses in both Anatomy and Physiology, if you can. Both classes can be very demanding. Even though I pulled off A's in Anatomy and Physiology, it was still a lot of work and I took the classes during different semesters. I know people who tried to take both courses together and they ended up dropping Physiology because it was really overwhelming to balance both. But if you get accepted without those classes, then at that point, you wouldn't have to stress about getting an A, and maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Try to take one of them earlier if you can though! Good luck!
Hi Mahguelly,
Thank you for the reply, it helps a lot :) Because even I was told that not having grades for anatomy and physiology doesn't weaken my application, I am still a bit doubtful and worried of not having these grades.
I know, I really don't want to take those courses together :( but I was not able to add these courses for the spring semester at any of community colleges since I don't have priority with registration so it is really hard to get into these classes. If I get accepted, I will try to take at least one of them at a private institution (although the tuition is much higher than CC, I am assuming it will be about the same compared taking at USC). Thanks again for sharing your info and congratulations on your acceptance!!! :)

@milkteaa - ^^ I agree, I applied and I am currently taking A&P. I am sure not everyone needs to study all the time but I do and it pays off. I even dream about muscles, neurons, etc... I devoted a lot of time and my professor suggested that you give it your full focus. Fast track only if you are a bio genius and have nothing else going on. Not sure if this is an option- but try other community colleges or talking to the professors to get you in. I love A & P and totally like to nerd out on it but I like the year long class to enjoy it without too much stress.

Hi Mahguelly,
Thank you for the reply, it helps a lot :) Because even I was told that not having grades for anatomy and physiology doesn't weaken my application, I am still a bit doubtful and worried of not having these grades.
I know, I really don't want to take those courses together :( but I was not able to add these courses for the spring semester at any of community colleges since I don't have priority with registration so it is really hard to get into these classes. If I get accepted, I will try to take at least one of them at a private institution (although the tuition is much higher than CC, I am assuming it will be about the same compared taking at USC). Thanks again for sharing your info and congratulations on your acceptance!!! :)

No problem, I hope my info was helpful! I totally feel your pain, I was in the same boat last year. It was impossible for me to get into Anatomy and Physiology classes at community colleges, since you're essentially competing with pre-nursing, PT, and other health students for enrollment. It took me about a year of taking other pre-reqs at the CCs before I was finally able to get into an Anatomy class, because by then, I was considered a "continuing student", rather than a "new" student. But I understand how stressful it is to just get into health-related classes. I'm not sure if you live near any large universities but taking classes from university "extensions" can also help you fulfill your pre-reqs. I took Abnormal Psychology at UCLA Extension after I had graduated, and classes do fill up quickly, but I believe anyone can sign up on the day enrollment opens up. Just gotta be quick about it. Best of luck getting into these classes!

Congrats to all got accepted :) But I have a question, did you complete all the required pre-reqs at the time of application? I am still missing Anatomy and Physiology because I didn't get to register for these classes (it is so hard to add these classes at community colleges, I got waitlisted each time :() I know that most of schools require anatomy and physiology scores when you apply(and this makes you a stronger applicant) but Sarah Kelly told me not having grades for these two science courses actually do not weaken my application. But I am curious if those of you who got accepted have taken theses classes or not yet.

I didn't have anatomy or physiology when I applied. In fact, I'm still waiting on my grade for anatomy from this semester before I submit my OTCAS update and I'm enrolled for physiology (my last prerequisite) next year. Hope that helps!

Edit: Like Mahguelly, I also would recommend looking into extension programs at other universities. I'm planning on finishing up physiology at UCLA Extension online myself. It's offered every quarter but I believe only waitlist is available right now for the January-March quarter. Sarah Kelly emailed me a PDF of accepted online physiology classes and the one at UCLA Extension is one of them.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't have anatomy or physiology when I applied. In fact, I'm still waiting on my grade for anatomy from this semester before I submit my OTCAS update and I'm enrolled for physiology (my last prerequisite) next year. Hope that helps!

Edit: Like Mahguelly, I also would recommend looking into extension programs at other universities. I'm planning on finishing up physiology at UCLA Extension online myself. It's offered every quarter but I believe only waitlist is available right now for the January-March quarter. Sarah Kelly emailed me a PDF of accepted online physiology classes and the one at UCLA Extension is one of them.
Hi Kiera,
Thank you for sharing that! It is such a relief to see that not having those grades is actually ok, I was really worried that it would weaken my application (but of course I need to make sure to make other criteria as strong as possible, that would be raising Verbal score for me)
Yeah, if I get accepted (really hoping that I do because USC is my only choice) I think I will take either physiology or anatomy before taking the other one at USC during summer.
I also considered taking that UCLA extension physiology but I don't think it comes with a lab. And I wanted to make sure to take one with a lab so that when I have to apply to other schools next year I won't have to re-take the course since most of schools require physiology with a lab. But if I get accepted to USC, I guess I could that one. But the thing is I won't find out my acceptance until sometime in March so I guess it wont work for me unless they have another one opening up later.
I also have that list and this institution called ISP is also included and they have several anatomy and physiology courses starting at different time of the year.
Do you know if that is a good choice or not? It is an accelerated course so I guess it is quite intensive and the other downside is that it is quite expensive, like 2k :(

@milkteaa - ^^ I agree, I applied and I am currently taking A&P. I am sure not everyone needs to study all the time but I do and it pays off. I even dream about muscles, neurons, etc... I devoted a lot of time and my professor suggested that you give it your full focus. Fast track only if you are a bio genius and have nothing else going on. Not sure if this is an option- but try other community colleges or talking to the professors to get you in. I love A & P and totally like to nerd out on it but I like the year long class to enjoy it without too much stress.
@lucys1024 wow that's good that you are enjoying those courses, I heard it is pretty tough so I am a bit worried. Are you taking it at a community college? I tried getting into those courses but I was waitlisted on #100ish, felt it was more competition to get into those course than getting into the actual OT program. And plus starting last semester they've added a bio class as pre requisite for anatomy and anatomy as pre-req for physio. Since I don't have any bio from undergrad I need to take another bio course before I can even try to add anatomy. It is such a pain. So I might just take it at private institutions depending my acceptance to USC.

Congrats peachiepizzazz!! :) That is awesome. I am applying for the regular application. Do you mind sharing your stat? I just took my first GRE last week and didn't do so well so I need to take it again. I am a bit worried about not scoring high on verbal :(

hey @milkteaa (nice name!). sure, here are stats:

Major: Ethnic Studies
UG GPA: 3.73
Pre-req GPA: roughly 3.8/3.9-ish. I had finished all but medical terminology upon applying
GRE: 160 V, 150 Quant, 5 AW

Volunteer: 200 hours split between pediatric clinic, skilled nursing, and hand therapy. I've also done a ton of work with children in other capacities (internship w/pediatrician, teach for india, child dev work at homeless shelter), and a bit of research with Carol Dweck's developmental psych lab w/pre-school aged children. Not sure really what "did it" but the admissions process is certainly way more complicated than just numbers/test scores so don't lose hope...I struggled taking the GRE too several times, so just put your best foot forward and see what happens! Also, if you have time before you take the GRE again, I highly recommend studying the Princeton Review's "Hit List" to get a good idea for what words will likely show up on the test.

Hope that helps a bit, and best of luck in the process!

Last edited:
No problem, I hope my info was helpful! I totally feel your pain, I was in the same boat last year. It was impossible for me to get into Anatomy and Physiology classes at community colleges, since you're essentially competing with pre-nursing, PT, and other health students for enrollment. It took me about a year of taking other pre-reqs at the CCs before I was finally able to get into an Anatomy class, because by then, I was considered a "continuing student", rather than a "new" student. But I understand how stressful it is to just get into health-related classes. I'm not sure if you live near any large universities but taking classes from university "extensions" can also help you fulfill your pre-reqs. I took Abnormal Psychology at UCLA Extension after I had graduated, and classes do fill up quickly, but I believe anyone can sign up on the day enrollment opens up. Just gotta be quick about it. Best of luck getting into these classes!
@Mahguelly yeah, totally! It is so competitive, I was so shocked when I was waitlisted as #100 for anatomy. Exactly, without the priority registration I think it is impossible to get into these courses. Just like you, I've taken most of my other pre-reqs at one community college and starting next semester I think I would be considered "continuing student" so I might have a better chance. But if I get accepted to USC, I guess it doesn't really matter because I won't have time to take both of them at CC before the program starts!

Any accepted USC students know if/where there is a facebook group or something for the incoming cohort? If not it would be cool to get that going!

hey @milkteaa (nice name!). sure, here are stats:

Undergrad Institution: Stanford
Major: Ethnic Studies w/Drama Minor
UG GPA: 3.73
Pre-req GPA: roughly 3.8/3.9-ish. I had finished all but medical terminology upon applying
GRE: 160 V, 150 Quant, 5 AW

Volunteer: 200 hours split between pediatric clinic, skilled nursing, and hand therapy. I've also done a ton of work with children in other capacities (internship w/pediatrician, teach for india, child dev work at homeless shelter), and a bit of research with Carol Dweck's developmental psych lab w/pre-school aged children. Not sure really what "did it" but the admissions process is certainly way more complicated than just numbers/test scores so don't lose hope...I struggled taking the GRE too several times, so just put your best foot forward and see what happens! Also, if you have time before you take the GRE again, I highly recommend studying the Princeton Review's "Hit List" to get a good idea for what words will likely show up on the test.

Hope that helps a bit, and best of luck in the process!
@peachiepizzazz Thank you for sharing your stat! and thanks for the compliment^^(milktea is one of my favorite drinks and I had no clue what to choose for my ID so, haha)wow 160 verbal is fantastic!! I scored 150 on my first try(terrible!) I scored several points lower than my average scores from practice tests and felt like the actual test was a lot harder!(maybe because I was nervous but especially verbal felt much harder) I am hoping to score somewhere in upper 150s. I would definitely check out that "hit list" from Princeton Review, thanks for the info. But I feel like reading comprehension is my weakness, do you know how to improve RC in a short period of time? I guess it would be hard to improve in RC in a short time but I feel like in order to really raise my score, I need to improve on RC.

Hi Kiera,
Thank you for sharing that! It is such a relief to see that not having those grades is actually ok, I was really worried that it would weaken my application (but of course I need to make sure to make other criteria as strong as possible, that would be raising Verbal score for me)
Yeah, if I get accepted (really hoping that I do because USC is my only choice) I think I will take either physiology or anatomy before taking the other one at USC during summer.
I also considered taking that UCLA extension physiology but I don't think it comes with a lab. And I wanted to make sure to take one with a lab so that when I have to apply to other schools next year I won't have to re-take the course since most of schools require physiology with a lab. But if I get accepted to USC, I guess I could that one. But the thing is I won't find out my acceptance until sometime in March so I guess it wont work for me unless they have another one opening up later.
I also have that list and this institution called ISP is also included and they have several anatomy and physiology courses starting at different time of the year.
Do you know if that is a good choice or not? It is an accelerated course so I guess it is quite intensive and the other downside is that it is quite expensive, like 2k :(

I don't know anything about ISP unfortunately and definitely had to avoid that option and others since they cost even more than the one at UCLA Extension which is expensive as is. If you do get accepted to USC though, I know UCLA Extension offers their online physiology course every quarter so there would be one Spring Quarter from March-June but that rubs up against the starting date for USC so I would recommend double checking if something like that would be acceptable. Good luck finding your classes!

I don't know anything about ISP unfortunately and definitely had to avoid that option and others since they cost even more than the one at UCLA Extension which is expensive as is. If you do get accepted to USC though, I know UCLA Extension offers their online physiology course every quarter so there would be one Spring Quarter from March-June but that rubs up against the starting date for USC so I would recommend double checking if something like that would be acceptable. Good luck finding your classes!
@Kiera thanks for that info, I would definitely look into UCLA extension if I get accepted to USC :)

@milkteaa , I applied with anatomy&physio still in progress as well! I just finished anatomy at a city college and am enrolled for physio this coming spring at the same city college. I had a really difficult time getting a spot in anatomy the past few years but found this small city college that not many people knew about and I was actually able to enroll no problem! If you're near the OC area you should definitely consider going there. They also just implemented the new science prerequisite for physio and I literally broke down because I wasn't able to enroll and my plan was all messed up. I ended up calling the dean of the school and was in a state of panic and expressed my situation (how I had already applied to USC for OT and that if they did not let me enroll for physio, I would no longer be a valid applicant) and they actually approved my request and allowed me to enroll! So maybe try contacting the administration office at the city colleges you're interested in and explain your situation.. they might let you in!

@peachiepizzazz & @Kiera & @Mahguelly your stats are amazing! :) have you guys submitted your intent to enroll yet? I'm a bit confused because there wasn't any info about a deposit and how much that will be/when it's due?

@milkteaa , I applied with anatomy&physio still in progress as well! I just finished anatomy at a city college and am enrolled for physio this coming spring at the same city college. I had a really difficult time getting a spot in anatomy the past few years but found this small city college that not many people knew about and I was actually able to enroll no problem! If you're near the OC area you should definitely consider going there. They also just implemented the new science prerequisite for physio and I literally broke down because I wasn't able to enroll and my plan was all messed up. I ended up calling the dean of the school and was in a state of panic and expressed my situation (how I had already applied to USC for OT and that if they did not let me enroll for physio, I would no longer be a valid applicant) and they actually approved my request and allowed me to enroll! So maybe try contacting the administration office at the city colleges you're interested in and explain your situation.. they might let you in!

@peachiepizzazz & @Kiera & @Mahguelly your stats are amazing! :) have you guys submitted your intent to enroll yet? I'm a bit confused because there wasn't any info about a deposit and how much that will be/when it's due?
@jkmura , thanks for sharing the info! That is great that they made an exception and let you enrolled in physio! I think cali instigated a new policy starting last semester, they added a pre-rep for anatomy and physio, my plan got messed up as well because I was going to take either anatomy or physiology this coming semester. Since they added a pre-rep of any bio class, I am actually enrolled for intro to bio next semester :( But if I get accepted to USC, I will drop this course and will try to take anatomy or physio at a private institution. Do you mind sharing the name of the city college you are referring to? I am also in OC area so that might work for me as well! And congrats on your acceptance to USC!! :)

@jkmura , awww thanks! Your stats are even more amazing! I think it's really cool that you've wanted to be an OT since middle school. I didn't discover the world of OT until after I graduated from college, so it's awesome that you've known what you wanted to do so early and stuck with it!

In terms of a commitment deposit, as far as I know, it doesn't look like we need to put one down yet. Did you get 2 separate acceptance letters? One from the Graduate Admissions Office and one from the actual OT division? The OT letter didn't mention a deposit, only that we needed to submit our intent to enroll in writing. Also, based on this site: http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/apply/commitmentdeposit.html , it doesn't seem like OT requires a deposit at all. I submitted both my intents to enroll (one t0 the Graduate Office and the other to the OT department). Super excited!!!

@jkmura , awww thanks! Your stats are even more amazing! I think it's really cool that you've wanted to be an OT since middle school. I didn't discover the world of OT until after I graduated from college, so it's awesome that you've known what you wanted to do so early and stuck with it!

In terms of a commitment deposit, as far as I know, it doesn't look like we need to put one down yet. Did you get 2 separate acceptance letters? One from the Graduate Admissions Office and one from the actual OT division? The OT letter didn't mention a deposit, only that we needed to submit our intent to enroll in writing. Also, based on this site: http://www.usc.edu/admission/graduate/apply/commitmentdeposit.html , it doesn't seem like OT requires a deposit at all. I submitted both my intents to enroll (one t0 the Graduate Office and the other to the OT department). Super excited!!!

About the deposit: I just visited campus since I happened to be in SoCal visiting relatives for the holidays when I found out. Sarah Kelly verified that there's no deposit, we just need to send back that intent to enroll envelope by the date listed on the acceptance letter.

did you guys get a holiday card from them too? so pretty!

Last edited:
I also just got my acceptance letter. I was very excited, was not expecting to hear back so soon. There was some sort of issue in my apartment building and they stopped mail delivery for a week, the day it was stopped I happened to see this thread saying that acceptance letters were going out. Then I went to visit a friend in Portland for a couple days when we finally figured out where we could get our mail. We had a friend go pick it up and she sent a picture that included two envelopes from USC right on top of the pile. That was the longest 3 hour drive home to Seattle ever.

Congrats to everyone who got a letter. Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Since someone asked for stats:
Undergrad: Journalism from U of Alaska Anchorage
OTCAS GPA: 3.3
Pre-req GPA: 3.95
GRE: Verbal-167, Quant-155, Writing-4.5
OT Observations: 80 hours split in pediatrics, SNF, Hands, Work Rehab, School
Extracurriculars: about 7 years working with people with disabilities, most recently ABA work in a school setting
LOR: 1 professor, 1 supervisor from work, 1 OT from volunteer site

Any accepted USC students know if/where there is a facebook group or something for the incoming cohort? If not it would be cool to get that going!
I searched for one and found one for the class of 2015, but I don't think there is one for us yet. I agree that it would be great to get one going!

A little late to this thread I know, but I got my early acceptance letter in the mail on the 21st, also dated the 14th. I've already accepted the offer and am so excited! I'm already starting to look into housing options and stressing a little bit. Are any of you planning to live in the OT house, or exploring off campus options?

I have a 3.53 OTCAS GPA, 4.0 in pre-reqs (but with anatomy & physiology and medical terminology still to be completed), 157 verbal, 151 quantitative, 4.5 analytical writing

Reactions: 1 users
I just requested to join, thanks @peachiepizzazz :)

@milkteaa of course! sorry I forgot to put the name of the school in my post, it's called Coastline Community College in Westminster but they have class locations in Newport Beach, Fountain Valley and Westminster!

@Mahguelly thank you! :) &Yes, I also received 2 letters and submitted my intent to enroll online and I mailed out the written consent as well!

@USCOT2016 I'll be moving back home and commuting to USC since I live about 20 minutes away from the health science campus! But I do have a friend in the program right now and she told me that the OT house is very expensive and that majority of her classmates who chose to live there their first year are moving out because of the price. You could look into nearby areas to find a place to rent like Alhambra, South Pasadena.. A lot of students tend to live around there :)

@jkmura Thanks for that info! I actually took a few classes at GWC and believe it is related to CCC. I would definitely check it out and see what's available!
and Happy NEW YEAR everyone :)

A little late to this thread I know, but I got my early acceptance letter in the mail on the 21st, also dated the 14th. I've already accepted the offer and am so excited! I'm already starting to look into housing options and stressing a little bit. Are any of you planning to live in the OT house, or exploring off campus options?

I have a 3.53 OTCAS GPA, 4.0 in pre-reqs (but with anatomy & physiology and medical terminology still to be completed), 157 verbal, 151 quantitative, 4.5 analytical writing

Hey! I'm trying to figure out housing too. Taking out loans for much of school so the less I can spend on living expenses the better. :) I've done some research around where the safer/nicer yet still affordable places are around the health science campus and came up with Monterey Hills area. It's mainly a bunch of new condos, pretty surroundings, extremely low crime rate, and just a 7 minute drive from campus via surface streets. Depending on how many roommates you have it seems like it could be quite reasonable for how nice it is, and given the classic condo amenities offered. Seems like a lot of med students go this route. Great option to consider!

I just requested to join, thanks @peachiepizzazz :)

@milkteaa of course! sorry I forgot to put the name of the school in my post, it's called Coastline Community College in Westminster but they have class locations in Newport Beach, Fountain Valley and Westminster!

@Mahguelly thank you! :) &Yes, I also received 2 letters and submitted my intent to enroll online and I mailed out the written consent as well!

@USCOT2016 I'll be moving back home and commuting to USC since I live about 20 minutes away from the health science campus! But I do have a friend in the program right now and she told me that the OT house is very expensive and that majority of her classmates who chose to live there their first year are moving out because of the price. You could look into nearby areas to find a place to rent like Alhambra, South Pasadena.. A lot of students tend to live around there :)

Thanks for the insight, so helpful! I wish my family was nearby. I've been looking into Glendale and Silver Lake a bit, too, as well as Alhambra and South Pasadena. Any thoughts on those areas that you wouldn't mind sharing?

Hey! I'm trying to figure out housing too. Taking out loans for much of school so the less I can spend on living expenses the better. :) I've done some research around where the safer/nicer yet still affordable places are around the health science campus and came up with Monterey Hills area. It's mainly a bunch of new condos, pretty surroundings, extremely low crime rate, and just a 7 minute drive from campus via surface streets. Depending on how many roommates you have it seems like it could be quite reasonable for how nice it is, and given the classic condo amenities offered. Seems like a lot of med students go this route. Great option to consider!

Thanks! I am taking out loans for almost everything too (anxiously awaiting the FAFSA website to be back up to get that process started...), so I am in the same boat. I'm coming from San Francisco, so almost everything feels comparatively cheap and I need to keep reminding myself that I'll be paying back my rent for the rest of my life! I've been looking mostly into Pasadena, Glendale and Silver Lake so far, but will definitely look into Monterey Hills because it seems even closer and more affordable. Thanks so much again!

My application was deferred to regular decision due to a missing document. I have been contacting the office of graduate admissions but they have yet to reply due to the holiday closures. I just really want to know what document I am missing :(.

I think living in the Alhambra area is great because you will have so much access to affordable restaurants, grocery markets, and entertainment. Also, you can get to the Health Science Campus through freeway in 15-20 minutes (without traffic) or through local streets (20-30 minutes). I believe Glendale and Pasadena are a little bit farther. I have volunteered in Pasadena and I did not like the street parking. At night time, it almost impossible to find parking around restaurants and entertainment. This was only my experience so maybe someone else can provide a different perspective!

My application was deferred to regular decision due to a missing document. I have been contacting the office of graduate admissions but they have yet to reply due to the holiday closures. I just really want to know what document I am missing :(.

I think living in the Alhambra area is great because you will have so much access to affordable restaurants, grocery markets, and entertainment. Also, you can get to the Health Science Campus through freeway in 15-20 minutes (without traffic) or through local streets (20-30 minutes). I believe Glendale and Pasadena are a little bit farther. I have volunteered in Pasadena and I did not like the street parking. At night time, it almost impossible to find parking around restaurants and entertainment. This was only my experience so maybe someone else can provide a different perspective!

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your missing document! I bet it was something out of your hands too - best of luck sorting it out and with the regular decision admissions process!

Thanks for the suggestion re: Alhambra! I hadn't looked into that area as much yet and will now have to make note to. I was in the area last month and scoped out Glendale and Pasadena and thought they were both nice, but I can see how parking would be frustrating.

Thanks! I am taking out loans for almost everything too (anxiously awaiting the FAFSA website to be back up to get that process started...), so I am in the same boat. I'm coming from San Francisco, so almost everything feels comparatively cheap and I need to keep reminding myself that I'll be paying back my rent for the rest of my life! I've been looking mostly into Pasadena, Glendale and Silver Lake so far, but will definitely look into Monterey Hills because it seems even closer and more affordable. Thanks so much again!

Hey you're from SF? Me too! Well, Berkeley really, but I'm so used to seeing friends rent a tiny room in someone's house for like 1200 a month over there, so everything looks super cheap in comparison.

Hey you're from SF? Me too! Well, Berkeley really, but I'm so used to seeing friends rent a tiny room in someone's house for like 1200 a month over there, so everything looks super cheap in comparison.

Such a small world and so nice to meet another USC OT East Bay-er! I actually grew up on the other side of the Caldecott, but I went to Berkeley for undergrad and then lived in SF after graduation. I was paying $1300 a month for a tiny shoebox studio before I quit my job and moved back in with my parents, and that was a "good deal," so LA definitely seems like a great deal in comparison! Are you still living in Berkeley?

Do you guys think that USC is worth the $151,000 price tag? That's doctor and lawyer debt territory, and we would get paid substantially less than they would get paid. Would it be better to become an OT from USC, or work a white collar job starting at $35,000?

Do you guys think that USC is worth the $151,000 price tag? That's doctor and lawyer debt territory, and we would get paid substantially less than they would get paid. Would it be better to become an OT from USC, or work a white collar job starting at $35,000?

I did the white collar job with a mediocre salary thing for a little over two years after undergrad and was miserable, so to me, the debt it will take to have a career that will (hopefully) be truly satisfying is worthwhile. While I obviously want to be able to support myself, I didn't decide to become an OT because it was the most financially savvy decision ever. Also, from my research, it seems unlikely that the average student will have to take on all costs as debt too. USC is notoriously generous with financial aid, so I'm hoping some grants and scholarships will keep my debt at least a little under that mark.

I did the white collar job with a mediocre salary thing for a little over two years after undergrad and was miserable, so to me, the debt it will take to have a career that will (hopefully) be truly satisfying is worthwhile. While I obviously want to be able to support myself, I didn't decide to become an OT because it was the most financially savvy decision ever. Also, from my research, it seems unlikely that the average student will have to take on all costs as debt too. USC is notoriously generous with financial aid, so I'm hoping some grants and scholarships will keep my debt at least a little under that mark.
I heard that USC doesn't offer anything else than loans for the OT program (with exception to merit based scholarships, which I already applied for). I hope you're right, though...I guess we will wait and see! I once talked to a USC OT alumni, and she said that she regretted going to USC, and that she is super stressed by having $100,000 in loans.

I heard that USC doesn't offer anything else than loans for the OT program (with exception to merit based scholarships, which I already applied for). I hope you're right, though...I guess we will wait and see! I once talked to a USC OT alumni, and she said that she regretted going to USC, and that she is super stressed by having $100,000 in loans.

Ugh, that's really disheartening. I went to an information session at USC this summer and left with the impression that there is a good amount of aid available. We received a paper application to send in for department specific scholarships that I've already sent in (may be what you're referring to also?) and I'm hoping it all comes together. I'm just looking at the loans as a longterm inevitable thing that will be an extra bill I'll deal with for awhile. I know a few people who went to pricey private grad schools and left with considerable loans ($50k+) and it seems like something they just deal with that hasn't held them back a whole ton.

Ugh, that's really disheartening. I went to an information session at USC this summer and left with the impression that there is a good amount of aid available. We received a paper application to send in for department specific scholarships that I've already sent in (may be what you're referring to also?) and I'm hoping it all comes together. I'm just looking at the loans as a longterm inevitable thing that will be an extra bill I'll deal with for awhile. I know a few people who went to pricey private grad schools and left with considerable loans ($50k+) and it seems like something they just deal with that hasn't held them back a whole ton.
I also went to an information session in summer (maybe we went on the same night?), and I got the paper scholarship application (which I faxed in). I hope you're right that the loans won't be too burdensome. I'm just wondering when I'll hear back for regular decision (February, hopefully?). I'm still waitlisted at CSUDH, and there are only 4 more days they can call me, so I'm pretty discouraged.

I also went to an information session in summer (maybe we went on the same night?), and I got the paper scholarship application (which I faxed in). I hope you're right that the loans won't be too burdensome. I'm just wondering when I'll hear back for regular decision (February, hopefully?). I'm still waitlisted at CSUDH, and there are only 4 more days they can call me, so I'm pretty discouraged.

I was there during the day, so probably different ones! I have a feeling you might hear back even sooner than that regular decision, since us early decision people got word back so early. Good luck! Did you only apply to USC and CSUDH?

I was there during the day, so probably different ones! I have a feeling you might hear back even sooner than that regular decision, since us early decision people got word back so early. Good luck! Did you only apply to USC and CSUDH?
My early decision rejection email did say that I might hear back from USC sooner than February 15th, which I am hoping for. I can't take this wait! Thanks! :) Yes--I only applied to CSUDH and USC...I genuinely believed that I would get into CSUDH...oh well. :( I think I bombed the second interview, because I got confused by the multifaceted questions (the first round of questions were much simpler). I'm trying to figure out if USC is even worth it, or if it's better to work for the government in an office setting for substantially less pay (I was a poli sci major).

Last edited:
My early decision rejection email did say that I might hear back from USC sooner than February 15th, which I am hoping for. I can't take this wait! Thanks! :) Yes--I only applied to CSUDH and USC...I genuinely believed that I would get into CSUDH...oh well. :( I think I bombed the second interview, because I got confused by the multifaceted questions (the first round of questions were much simpler). I'm trying to figure out if USC is even worth it, or if it's better to work for the government in an office setting for substantially less pay (I was a poli sci major).

Gotcha, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I wound up only applying to USC so feel so fortunate. I think if you're sure you want to be an OT, it's worthwhile to keep pushing. I had my doubts too, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Have you looked into Dominican University at all? I was considering applying there if I wasn't accepted to USC early admission. Their deadline for apps isn't until February and I believe there is no application fee, so it might be worth a shot to keep your options open!

Gotcha, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. I wound up only applying to USC so feel so fortunate. I think if you're sure you want to be an OT, it's worthwhile to keep pushing. I had my doubts too, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Have you looked into Dominican University at all? I was considering applying there if I wasn't accepted to USC early admission. Their deadline for apps isn't until February and I believe there is no application fee, so it might be worth a shot to keep your options open!
Thanks! :highfive: Wow...you really are lucky! :) I don't think I can apply to Dominican University, because I don't have actual observation hours...I live in a really isolated area (the closest freeway is 30 minutes away), so I wasn't able to shadow anywhere (believe me...I tried!). Also, I need to stay close to my parents (AKA stay in the LA area) for medical reasons. I am starting to think of creating a backup plan in case I don't get into OT school this year; I can either reapply next cycle, or try to work for the government again.

Thanks! :highfive: Wow...you really are lucky! :) I don't think I can apply to Dominican University, because I don't have actual observation hours...I live in a really isolated area (the closest freeway is 30 minutes away), so I wasn't able to shadow anywhere (believe me...I tried!). Also, I need to stay close to my parents (AKA stay in the LA area) for medical reasons. I am starting to think of creating a backup plan in case I don't get into OT school this year; I can either reapply next cycle, or try to work for the government again.

I feel your pain regarding observation hours. My parents relocated to a pretty isolated area too and I wound up driving 2 1/2 hours to get observation hours - it was brutal and I wound up getting into a school that didn't require them! Best of luck with whatever you figure out, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you re: USC. :)

I feel your pain regarding observation hours. My parents relocated to a pretty isolated area too and I wound up driving 2 1/2 hours to get observation hours - it was brutal and I wound up getting into a school that didn't require them! Best of luck with whatever you figure out, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you re: USC. :)
Thanks! You are so sweet. :)