Students applying to USC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what does it look like? i want to be prepared when i get one. ....:nailbiting:
is just one page letter of acceptance? or some kind of thick package?

It's like a regular letter. It includes your acceptance letter and the intent to enroll letter to mail back to USC. I think their going to send me a separate packet with more info later on.

Members don't see this ad.

I received by acceptance by mail today! It was dated February 2oth.

erFTW, my sister and I are from Florida. You may have been moved to the next cycle but it should be in a few weeks. Did your status change?

8nwong, did your status change from when you were deferred back in december? Mine still says
  • YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION. YOU MAY CHECK THIS SYSTEM PERIODICALLY FOR UPDATES, AND IF THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT REQUIRES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR RENDERS AN ADMISSION DECISION, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED.

My application status is the following:
  • YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY.
I don't remember what the status was during my deferment because I did not check it. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful :\.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application status is the following:
  • YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY.
I don't remember what the status was during my deferment because I did not check it. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful :\.
Thats okay! Thank you for this info :) Hopefully my status changes soon!

I received by acceptance by mail today! It was dated February 2oth.
Hi OTgirl90, congrats on your acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats? :)

Last edited:
Who is planning to go to the luncheon on April 11? I just booked my flight down and am so excited. Hopefully I'll get to meet some of you there in person!

Also, for anyone confirmed about their admission status on the application website - I was accepted early decision back in December and it just recently changed to "Congratulations on your admission!" Granted, I haven't been checking it daily anymore, but as late as late January/early February, it still showed a tentative sounding status. I wouldn't put tons of weight on the updates there.

what does it look like? i want to be prepared when i get one. ....:nailbiting:
is just one page letter of acceptance? or some kind of thick package?

Mine was just one page in a standard sized envelope. It looks disappointingly small because the big welcome kit I got from the undergrad universities I was accepted to back in 2007 is now a PDF you go online and download!

Reactions: 1 user
Mine is still in the same status . submitted and in review. grrr.

My status on USC just changed to "YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY." today. Does that mean I will receive notification in the mail soon? Anyone else's status recently change this week?

I keep looking but still no. Maybe by the end of the week mine will

My status on USC just changed to "YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY." today. Does that mean I will receive notification in the mail soon? Anyone else's status recently change this week?

I think that you will definitely receive a letter soon. I received my acceptance letter last week when my application status changed.

Thats okay! Thank you for this info :) Hopefully my status changes soon!

Hi OTgirl90, congrats on your acceptance! Do you mind sharing your stats? :)
Thank you! My stats are:

Undergrad Institution: Cal State East Bay
Major: Kinesiology, Pre-Physical Therapy Option
Overall Undergraduate GPA: 3.71
Last 60 units GPA: 3.797
GRE: 154 verbal, 149 math, 4 writing

Observation Hours: 202 total, 100 at a pediatric clinic, 52 inpatient hours and 50 at a lymphedema/hand therapy clinic.

Work/Volunteer/extra-curricular: Worked with a child with Angelman syndrome and worked at a pediatric OT clinic as an aide. Sorority member, Filipino club member and Golden Key International Honor Society member. Did 50 volunteer hours at a physical therapy clinic.

Applied: Samuel Merritt, Dominican, USC, St. Augustine, NYU and Columbia
Acceptances: Samuel Merritt and USC
Rejections: None so far
Waiting to hear back from: NYU and Columbia
Interviews: Samuel Merritt, St. Augustine (I declined) and just received an invitation to interview at Dominican today

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also waiting! I've been anxiously checking the mail everyday because they said mid-march. My status hasn't changed on the website though.

I applied the end of January/beginning of February, OTCAS verified 2/14, and received my acceptance letter 2/27. They're giving those accepted until March 18th to respond so I think after that, they will have a better idea of how many seats are open. I know I will not be attending USC in the Fall so my seat will open up for someone else.

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! I was OTCAS verified on 1/29. Seems like letters are still trickling out.

I just got my acceptance letter yesterday! I was OTCAS verified on 1/29. Seems like letters are still trickling out.
Congrats melloyello! :) did your status change online? Also, do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats melloyello! :) did your status change online? Also, do you mind sharing your stats?
My status hasn't changed as yet, I'm going to keep checking on that. My stats are as follows (not typical compared to most of the people here):

Undergrad Institution: University of Virginia (go Wahoos!! ACC champs :))
Major: African & African American Studies
Overall Undergraduate GPA: 2.167 (Yeah, I did THAT bad there)
Graduate Institution: College of New Rochelle
Major: Dual Master's in Childhood Ed and Childhood Special Ed
Graduate GPA: 4.0, graduated with honors
Prereq GPA: 3.75
GRE: 560 verbal, 720 math, 4 writing (old format)

Observation Hours: 70 total: 50 at an inpatient nursing/rehab facility, and 20 at a pediatric sensory integration/play therapy practice

Work/Volunteer/extra-curricular: I've worked as a special ed teacher for the last 8 years. I've worked with students with neurological damage, sensory processing disorder, autism, ODD, ADHD, intellectually disabled, learning disabled, and other health impairments. I taught a free SAT prep course at my church for 2 years. I work at a charter school and I'm taking a full load of courses so volunteer/extra currics are limited at this point.

Applied: 14 schools because I knew my chances were slim considering my undergrad gpa and limited ability to volunteer due to my schedule
Acceptances: USC and still waiting to hear from 10 more
Rejections: Temple, UPittsburgh, Towson
Waiting to hear back from: Howard, NYU, SUNY Downstate, TSU, WSU, Washington U, ToledoU, Louisiana, USciences, TJU
Interviews: None.

I have a personal story that's a little different...due to a birth injury, I had OT since I was a baby until the age of 7 or so. I have very vivid memories of what this experience was like. I had to learn to be left handed though I was born right handed, and basically had to learn how to do everything with a side of my body that my brain was not initially wired for. I shared this experience in my essay (not as a woe is me I have a disability type of thing) but that having a visceral understanding of what it is like to learn how to function with a disability would make me a better therapist and able to relate to my patients and their challenges.

Wow I can tell your essay had a very powerful impact :) it was touching just to read a summary of it! Congrats again. My status is still
  • YOUR FILE HAS BEEN FORWARDED TO THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT FOR REVIEW AND AN ADMISSION DECISION. YOU MAY CHECK THIS SYSTEM PERIODICALLY FOR UPDATES, AND IF THE ACADEMIC DEPARTMENT REQUIRES ADDITIONAL INFORMATION OR RENDERS AN ADMISSION DECISION, YOU WILL BE CONTACTED.
:/ wonder why it is taking a while

I applied the end of January/beginning of February, OTCAS verified 2/14, and received my acceptance letter 2/27. They're giving those accepted until March 18th to respond so I think after that, they will have a better idea of how many seats are open. I know I will not be attending USC in the Fall so my seat will open up for someone else.

Thanks for the info! Where did you decide to enroll?

I just received a letter via postal mail from USC saying that I have been waitlisted. Anyone else receive a letter too??

I just received a letter via postal mail from USC saying that I have been waitlisted. Anyone else receive a letter too??
Hi Mochim! Did your status change online before you received the letter?

Thanks for the info! Where did you decide to enroll?

No problem! I decided to enroll at San Jose State! I'm originally from San Jose so it will cost significantly less for me than if I were to go to USC!

I also received the waitlist letter yesterday. Does anyone know any details on the process? How many people do they waitlist and what are the chances of getting bumped up? I'm staying hopeful!

Oh man, I still haven't heard back. Seems like I'll be hearing in the next week or so. I need to let another program know by April 1st, so it'd be great if they could make up their minds already, heh.

Oh man, I still haven't heard back. Seems like I'll be hearing in the next week or so. I need to let another program know by April 1st, so it'd be great if they could make up their minds already, heh.
Yeah I got a response by them last week saying that all applicants will know by mail this week sometime but it didn't come so should be coming early in the next couple of days. I asked because I have to let UIC know by the end of this week as well. Fingers crossed on staying hopeful and hopefully we all hear soon!

Reactions: 1 users
I received my acceptance letter this weekend -- it was mailed on 3/18, but I'm on the East Coast. I've decided to go to UNC so will be declining the offer -- good luck to those of you on the wait list!

To those of you on the waitlist, have you gotten any more information about ranking or chances of getting admitted?

To those of you on the waitlist, have you gotten any more information about ranking or chances of getting admitted?

I emailed Liz Carley, the assistant director of admissions, and she said this year's applicant pool was the largest they've had... 120 spots for 655 applicants. While she was unable to tell me exactly where I stand on the waitlist, she gave me a general position. As far as chances of acceptance from the waitlist, she says it varies quite a bit year to year, depending on how many people accept their offer so she couldn't tell me any specifics on that. They also accept students until the very start of the program in June.... so I guess it just means more waiting.. sigh. Goodluck to everyone!

Nope, nothing has been changed online but I'll let you know if it does!
I just checked my status online this morning and it has been updated to the following status: "YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY." When I checked last night, it only showed as "SUBMITTED" so that means it has been updated today. I guess all I can do now is simply wait :(

Just want to let everyone know that they are already starting to take people off the wait list. I just received my letter of acceptance just one week after receiving my waiting list letter! It looks like they changed my online status the day after the sent out the letter. The acceptance letter they mailed out was postmarked 3/27/14. Wish you all luck!

Just want to let everyone know that they are already starting to take people off the wait list. I just received my letter of acceptance just one week after receiving my waiting list letter! It looks like they changed my online status the day after the sent out the letter. The acceptance letter they mailed out was postmarked 3/27/14. Wish you all luck!

Hi mochim! Thanks for the update! Do you mind sharing your stats? And do you happen to know what position you were on the waitlist? Thanks!

Hi mochim! Thanks for the update! Do you mind sharing your stats? And do you happen to know what position you were on the waitlist? Thanks!

Of course!

Overall GPA: 3.4
Last 60 Units GPA: 3.8
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 310 combined 4.0 analytical
OT Volunteer Hours: 250+ hours
Applied: USC, LLU, CSUDH, SJSU, UW (Seattle), UIC, BU, NYU, UPitt, TJU, Columbia University
Acceptances: USC, LLU, NYU, Columbia Univ
Rejections: CSUDH, SJSU, UW, UIC, BU
Waitlisted (and still pending): TJU, UPitt
Attending: USC!!!!!!

Last edited:
Ahoy mochim! argh for t' update! Do ye mind sharin' yer stats? And do ye happen to know what position ye were on t' waitlist? argh!
I'm not sure if it's just my computer or if it's the entire website but whatever I'm typing is getting changed up into really improper grammar/language on its own :( anyway, I was never able to find out my position on the waitlist unfortunately before receiving my acceptance letter. I hope you hear back soon!

me be not sure if it be just me computer or if it be t' entire website but whatever me be typin' be gettin' changed up into really improper grammar/language on its own :( anyway, me was never able to find out me position on t' waitlist unfortunately before receivin' me acceptance letter. me hope ye hear back soon!

haha i think it's an April Fools prank by SDN! :laugh:

I'm not sure if it's just my computer or if it's the entire website but whatever I'm typing is getting changed up into really improper grammar/language on its own :( anyway, I was never able to find out my position on the waitlist unfortunately before receiving my acceptance letter. I hope you hear back soon!

HAHA that's so funny! Well thank you for the info & congrats!!

Everyone waitlisted, it seems to be true that you get your acceptance right after your status changes online. I just received my acceptance in the mail!!! So excited :)!

Congrats on your acceptance! What does the status online change to?

Thank you!
It changed to--
YOU WILL RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR ADMISSION DECISION ONCE YOUR DEPARTMENT HAS COMPLETED THEIR FINAL REVIEW. PLEASE NOTE THAT THE OFFICE OF ADMISSION PROVIDES FINAL DECISION NOTIFICATIONS BY LETTER ONLY.

The day after my letter was postmarked, just as it did for @mochim .
Omg congrats @OTlife!!! I'm very happy for you!! =)

Is anyone else who has been admitted stressed out about the financial commitment? I'm really excited to have gotten in and I know it's an amazing program, but I feel a lot of anxiety about signing up for this much debt.. :/

Is anyone else out there still waitlisted? I was added to USC's waitlist about a month and half ago and am still waiting for a reply. This is becoming nerve-wracking. :(