Students who entered dental school after graduate school, how did it help you?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predent25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
For those of you who completed a science masters or PhD before dental school, how well did you do in the pre- clin years because of it? Did you earn a high class rank? For those of you applying to residencies, or have obtained them, did your graduate experience benefit you greatly? Or was it a nice talking point?
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I am just curious since will be leaving research and entering dschool this fall. I am in no way suggesting that dental school is a piece of cake for a former grad student. Just want to know your thoughts/experiences.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
For those of you who completed a science masters or PhD before dental school, how well did you do in the pre- clin years because of it? Did you earn a high class rank? For those of you applying to residencies, or have obtained them, did your graduate experience benefit you greatly? Or was it a nice talking point?
Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. I am just curious since will be leaving research and entering dschool this fall. I am in no way suggesting that dental school is a piece of cake for a former grad student. Just want to know your thoughts/experiences.
Thanks!

it helped for sure! if anything, you're more likely familair with the material so it makes hearing it in lectures, and studying the notes farrrr more easy than someone who doesn't know what a phosphatase does or what an H and E stain is.

i also feel you're more prepared to look up questions you dont know, or how to interpret charts and figures. bc im assuming you've been taught how to critically analyize data from having a research background.

I did a research based masters that only required three classes to graduate, other than that it was full time work in the lab and a thesis at the end. Of course it was tough work, but I was still able to come home at night and just relax or go out with friends, and was really enjoying my life. It was very difficult for me during the first few months of dental school to get back into hardcore study mode. So, I don't think it helps at all, i actually think it is a disadvantage.
A course based masters, however, is a huge advantage in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
a girl in my class did a 1 year "medical" masters. She knew everything and I'm sure she had straight As. If I was set on doing ortho or oral surgery..I would have done this program. Basically, it's like taking your first year before entering dental school.

Thanks for the replies. I feel as if the science courses may be somewhat review, and we are no strangers to lab work so that also helps. For me, I guess continuing in the biochemistry field after undergrad has given me more confidence academically and has reinforced my knowledge since I have actually performed many of the things that the textbooks described. But as for the clinical work in dschool... We will have to see.