Study abroad opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txlioness

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was interested in studying abroad for a semester/quarter if possible.

Does anyone know if there are any opportunities to study abroad for podiatry?

Or are there any 3rd/4th year clerkships offered to visit in other countries?

Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was interested in studying abroad for a semester/quarter if possible.

Does anyone know if there are any opportunities to study abroad for podiatry?

Or are there any 3rd/4th year clerkships offered to visit in other countries?

Thanks! :)

yeah iam also very interested for a volunteer or 1-2 month clerkship in Abroad. May be the new pod students can pursuade the school Administrators to make study abroad program for us:D

Aren't both of you going to Scholl in the late summer/fall? I believe there is a special podiatry/medical trip to Ho, Ghana for 3rd or 4th year students (not positive).

I definitely know of doing short (month or 6 week I think) foot and ankle fellowships in many countries of the world. However, this is not during pod school but during/after residency. I understand you are being taught surgical techniques by othopedic surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Aren't both of you going to Scholl in the late summer/fall? I believe there is a special podiatry/medical trip to Ho, Ghana for 3rd or 4th year students (not positive).

I definitely know of doing short (month or 6 week I think) foot and ankle fellowships in many countries of the world. However, this is not during pod school but during/after residency. I understand you are being taught surgical techniques by othopedic surgeons.

i guess i'll have to wait till my 3rd or 4th year?:(

jewmongous, what coutries are these fellowships offered in?

You'll most likely have to wait until 3rd or 4th year considering the first 2 years of pod school are pretty much all basic science anyway. I don't think its the norm for 3rd or 4th year pod students to complete non-american/canadian externships but I could be wrong. I read that the trip offered by Scholl to Ho, Ghana was a week long.

I believe these mini fellowships focus on trauma and are 1-2 or 1-3 months in duration and available in a number of countries around the world (good number in Western Europe). I read that these fellowships are mainly for orthopedic/general surgeons but will accept podiatric surgeons as well.

"DpmGrad" participated in one of these fellowships so he would be the best person on these forums to get more info. I found a link online that pertains to the AO/ASIF fellowships:

http://www.aofoundation.org/portal/..._att/wor/act/fellow/fellowship_broschuere.pdf

There's always organizations such as "Baja Project for Crippled Children" where pods (maybe residents too) can treat patients outside the US (I read Honduras and Mexico so far). Another one is the "Podiatry Institute" which has gone to Vietnam, Guatemala, and El Salvador I believe. Doctors without Borders (MSF) is one type of organization but does not accept podiatrists currently.

You'll most likely have to wait until 3rd or 4th year considering the first 2 years of pod school are pretty much all basic science anyway. I don't think its the norm for 3rd or 4th year pod students to complete non-american/canadian externships but I could be wrong. I read that the trip offered by Scholl to Ho, Ghana was a week long.

I believe these mini fellowships focus on trauma and are 1-2 or 1-3 months in duration and available in a number of countries around the world (good number in Western Europe). I read that these fellowships are mainly for orthopedic/general surgeons but will accept podiatric surgeons as well.

"DpmGrad" participated in one of these fellowships so he would be the best person on these forums to get more info. I found a link online that pertains to the AO/ASIF fellowships:

http://www.aofoundation.org/portal/..._att/wor/act/fellow/fellowship_broschuere.pdf

There's always organizations such as "Baja Project for Crippled Children" where pods (maybe residents too) can treat patients outside the US (I read Honduras and Mexico so far). Another one is the "Podiatry Institute" which has gone to Vietnam, Guatemala, and El Salvador I believe. Doctors without Borders (MSF) is one type of organization but does not accept podiatrists currently.

i checked out the link...i am already knocked out the box based on the age maximum listed. :mad:

There is not "study abroad" that I know of. There was talk about doing something at DMU during the 2nd year, but that is talk. Remember that DPM is unique to the US, and other countries offer MS and BS in chiropody/podiatry.

You must remember that as a student you are more of a drag than a asset. As a resident, you become an asset and that is when the trips are more appropriate.

There are a few of fellowships outside the states that again are for during and after residency. Some residencies pay for your trip such as DMC and NWPSR.

There is not "study abroad" that I know of. There was talk about doing something at DMU during the 2nd year, but that is talk. Remember that DPM is unique to the US, and other countries offer MS and BS in chiropody/podiatry.

You must remember that as a student you are more of a drag than a asset. As a resident, you become an asset and that is when the trips are more appropriate.

There are a few of fellowships outside the states that again are for during and after residency. Some residencies pay for your trip such as DMC and NWPSR.

is there a website to check out regarding these fellowships?

You can look on http://www.cpme.org/ Other fellowships like the AO and Ilizarov programs you could google. I don't think that the information you are looking for will be easily acessible. Most fellowships are not looking to advertise b/c they have a closed market.