Study abroad programs in d-school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacbum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so is Penn the only school that has a study abroad (or i guess rotation abroad) program? been searching schools websites, the forums, and everything else, and can't really find an answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple has a study abroad trip to Haiti, and I belive that they are also developing one for Jamaica.

Nyu offers few~

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure about STUDY abroad, but Stony Brook has community service thing abroad where they go to Madagascar...UCLA has something in JAPAN....UCSF DOES NOT HAVE ANY ...because of red tape issues..that was a student complaint....Great question though!

did you guys find this on the schools' websites? cuz i really can't find much about it. or did you learn of these programs during interviews?

so is Penn the only school that has a study abroad (or i guess rotation abroad) program? been searching schools websites, the forums, and everything else, and can't really find an answer.

Many schools have these types of opportunities - going to an underserved part of the world to mainly pull teeth and do some charity dentistry for a few days. Penn is probably one of the few that markets the opportunity as "unique." And remember, you have to pay extra for this rotation.

My dental school didn't have anything like this when I began. By my senior year, some resourceful students in my class and a few behind me cut through the red tape, got the legwork going, got some small trips started, Now I hear their efforts have turned into a successful program for students to have an opportunity to do outreach dentistry in other parts of the world.

Buffalo has many programs in africa and south america. i think its called "BOCA" or something like that. i found out when i visited.

Buffalo has many programs in africa and south america. i think its called "BOCA" or something like that. i found out when i visited.

That would be the result of those resorceful dental students I mentioned in my post. Four years ago there was nothing, and now there are many. Anything is possible, the dental student just has to be motivated.