Study Abroad Transcript

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koggerupu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a term abroad. The grades from the foreign institution did not transfer to my domestic transcript but the credits transferred over. AMCAS grants exceptions for these transcripts but I'm not sure about the individual schools.

Anyone have experience with this? Will the individual schools request foreign transcripts to be sent? I'm sure some of you know how much of a pain it is to order transcripts from across the world.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They will not. AMCAS is law. Those grades will not be in your AMCAS GPAs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hopefully I don't run into a wall during the application cycle. Foreign schools take forever to process transcript requests lol

Hopefully I don't run into a wall during the application cycle. Foreign schools take forever to process transcript requests lol
No one will ask for more transcripts when they know that AAMC combs through the apps with ridiculous scrutiny. Don't be neurotic.

No one will ask for more transcripts when they know that AAMC combs through the apps with ridiculous scrutiny. Don't be neurotic.

Don't be so sure about that. I went overseas. This year and last year, MCG asked for the transcript.

I did a term abroad. The grades from the foreign institution did not transfer to my domestic transcript but the credits transferred over. AMCAS grants exceptions for these transcripts but I'm not sure about the individual schools.

Anyone have experience with this? Will the individual schools request foreign transcripts to be sent? I'm sure some of you know how much of a pain it is to order transcripts from across the world.

Thanks
I believe many schools will request copies of all your various transcripts post-matriculation for their records, as they like to be able to see what correlates with your performance in MD school. But during the application cycle itself everyone (except apparently MCG) goes by AMCAS

I

Thanks
I think I am uniquely qualified to talk about this because I also have 1 semester abroad. What country did you go to if you don't mind me asking?

Since your credits transferred most schools expect you to order a transcript to be sent to an accreditation office like WES. Then that office processes your grades and credit hours and sends it to your school. This process was extremely hard because my school didn't accept payment with PayPal, credit card, check... They only took cash and a Chinese wire system that is hard to use.

Sometimes the accreditation office in America requires that you get the transcripts first sent to another company that certifies authenticity of document. That company then sends it to the American company for 2nd certification.

Often the American also wants an official word for word translation, which is just one more company you have to deal with. It is also one more bill to pay.

Each of these companies was very hard to work with and with the exception of the American company, all their documents/staff and information was only in Chinese. Don't get me wrong I speak Chinese very well but talking about things I that don't understand in English like Chinese bank money transfers is simply tough.

Once you get through all those steps you should be in the blue. Good luck! If you need more incite don't be afraid to ask.

One last thing, I believe most schools only require this information after you are accepted but you should double check with each school.

One last thing, I believe most schools only require this information after you are accepted but you should double check with each school.
You had to do this when you were accepted? Hard to believe. Do you mean matriculated? That would make more sense.

I
I think I am uniquely qualified to talk about this because I also have 1 semester abroad. What country did you go to if you don't mind me asking?

Since your credits transferred most schools expect you to order a transcript to be sent to an accreditation office like WES. Then that office processes your grades and credit hours and sends it to your school. This process was extremely hard because my school didn't accept payment with PayPal, credit card, check... They only took cash and a Chinese wire system that is hard to use.

Sometimes the accreditation office in America requires that you get the transcripts first sent to another company that certifies authenticity of document. That company then sends it to the American company for 2nd certification.

Often the American also wants an official word for word translation, which is just one more company you have to deal with. It is also one more bill to pay.

Each of these companies was very hard to work with and with the exception of the American company, all their documents/staff and information was only in Chinese. Don't get me wrong I speak Chinese very well but talking about things I that don't understand in English like Chinese bank money transfers is simply tough.

Once you get through all those steps you should be in the blue. Good luck! If you need more incite don't be afraid to ask.
For the record, many people who do study abroad do it through well-established programs where the place you study sends transcripts directly to your home university. It's only if you go out on your own somewhere original that you have this giant paperwork hassle

You had to do this when you were accepted? Hard to believe. Do you mean matriculated? That would make more sense.
Well technically matriculated would be after acceptance...

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted to medical school. After acceptance they send you a check list of things like immunizations, final transcripts, background check, and Fafsa. Abroad transfer transcript was on the list. If you did the study abroad through your home university you don't have to deal with this.

Country is Japan. It is through my home institution. However, the grades didn't transfer, only the credits did. There would be no problem ordering the transcripts after acceptance. I am just afraid that they will ask for the transcripts during application and delay reviewing my application indefinitely because it is a pain to order foreign transcripts.

Country is Japan. It is through my home institution. However, the grades didn't transfer, only the credits did. There would be no problem ordering the transcripts after acceptance. I am just afraid that they will ask for the transcripts during application and delay reviewing my application indefinitely because it is a pain to order foreign transcripts.
My study abroad was identical (through home uni, only credits transfer). My premed advisers assure me all you need to do is get it properly done in AMCAS

This will 999% never happen.

If they show up as transfer credits Amcas requires that you just put credit hours and pass for each class you took. Amcas will not ask for more information. Of the schools that I got interviews and accepted to they didn't require those transcripts to be complete until after acceptance. You shouldn't worry about that yet but it will come up again after acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Asked about your abroad experience or your abroad transcript? Seems like a weird topic if they ask about the transcript lol

They brought up transcript issues during your interview? Uh

They asked about the courses which were listed on my AMCAS quite a bit yes. Not just one school either. Four schools did. Two my third round and another two my fourth (ironically the two who mentioned it my fourth round did not mention it during my third). I had an unofficial transcript on my phone. Remember anything on your AMCAS is fair game.

Asked about your abroad experience or your abroad transcript? Seems like a weird topic if they ask about the transcript lol

Extensive questioning about the school and the coursework. Given I literally have over 100 courses from that school, I think my total is 107 or something, my life was made easier by having a copy of the transcript on me. That way when someone asked about a specific course, I could have pulled more detailed information faster.

One person discussed it for 45 minutes of a 60 minute interview.

Wow 100 courses did you do a degree there or something? Guess I won't have to worry about that as I only have 2 courses from abroad.