study abroad vs GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOC1987

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! It's my first time posting on this site, but it looks really helpful! Hope I get some good replies.. :)

i have a sort of unusual question. so i wanted to study abroad winter semester of the upcoming year (my junior year) and i'm applying to med schools at the end of junior year. i know i really want to study abroad (London) for the experience, but i wouldn't want that to get in the way of my acceptance into a good medical school. the problem is that i'm not sure if classes you take abroad are graded, but i believe they're pass/fail, so that sem wouldn't be included in my GPA.

so I'm a BME major and my choices are basically..
1) go abroad and get the experience, but apply with about a 3.65 (and i know i can score in the high 30's on the mcat)
2) stay here and have that extra semester to boost my gpa (>=3.7), and also get more time to do other things such as be a bio study group leader, more research, and have more time to evolve the student organization i'm starting this year

What do you guys think? How do med schools even look at students that have studied abroad? What are some experiences you've heard about? Pros/cons? Thanks a lot!!

Members don't see this ad.

Go abroad. I'm in London right now, I've had the best time, and I am really glad I made the decision to go. My grades are going to transfer, but I'm not even sure what they're going to be at this point or when I'll get them (sometime in late July?). It doesn't matter. It's an opportunity I knew I would never have again, and it has been the most fun I've ever had in my life. Just do it.

Classes taken abroad count only if you receive units from an accredited US institution. If you do get graded, the grades themselves may be delayed because it's a bit more complicated getting the grades to the states.

I'd say go for it, but I am a bit biased. I'm in Costa Rica right now and I studied in Spain for a while as well. If you can score 35+ on the MCAT you should be fine. Be aware that a whole bunch of programs are out there so you can find one that could boost your GPA if that's really what you wanted. However, I don't really think that's necessary--your gpa isn't even that low, especially for an biomedical engineer.

Also, I'm not sure how you are financially, but be aware that London is a very, very expensive place. Unless you have some cash saved up or your parents helping you out you're not going to be able to go out much.