Study abroad vs. increased opportunities here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkwhattodomkay

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Look into Danish Institute of Study (DIS) Medical Practice and Policy Program. I did this and it was friggin amazing!

I learned to insert IV lines on fellow students (we squirted blood EVERYWHERE), shadowed doctors at a cystic fibrosis clinic in Poland, watched an autopsy in Germany, studied the health care system in Denmark, and had classes on Human Health and Disease (taught by two Danish physicians).

This kind of program is like killing two birds with one stone.

Just my two cents! :)

Best,
C

Members don't see this ad :)
Study abroad, study abroad, study abroad. I didn't and it is my biggest regret about college. Studying in Europe is basically a semester-long party and you'll have an incredible time.

both are really good, but don't do something just for your application, do it because you want to. Decide which one you would rather do, and do it. I was in a similar situation and I chose to study abroad because thats what I'd rather be doing

Depends on your personality, I suppose.

I hate foreign countries that don't have cheap food.

Bump but with a new question.

Should I study abroad this fall as described above and then work in a hospital, volunteer, etc. the following spring.
OR
Should I stay at my university for fall, continue volunteering at my hospital, hopefully get a first-author pub in the lab I'm in (already have a co-author pub), then study abroad in the spring and submit shortly thereafter?

With both options I will take my MCAT this summer.

Thanks!

Option 1 sounds better because you would want to be in US just before app season, especially if something goes wrong with the MCAT in the summer (last test date is September until the following year).

Study abroad, study abroad, study abroad. I didn't and it is my biggest regret about college. Studying in Europe is basically a semester-long party and you'll have an incredible time.

Unless you 1)are at a difficult institution 2)want to do well.

Moderate amount of partying involved if you care about grades, definitely plenty of time to explore and have fun though. Having been to London myself, I would highly recommend a semester abroad. It really makes you a diverse applicant, and you are pretty good to go in other areas so it will only help.

You've been abroad before. I say stay home and get better opportunities.

You're about to devote the next 7+ years of your life to textbooks and manual disimpacting geriatric patients. I highly suggest having fun while you can. Go abroad and don't look back.

Option 1 sounds incredible. I've spent time in Europe, and I would jump at the chance to do it again! Life is so short, take advantage of the meaningful experiences.