PhD/PsyD Study Clinical Psychology or Psychotherapy / Counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jenroc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Psychologists,

I'm confused about the difference in expertise and career prospects between a clinical psychologist and psychotherapist and would be very grateful if someone could help to answer my question!
smile.png

I want to pursue a career in psychology and I have a place on a Masters conversion course in Psychology (I'm from the UK where universities offer a course which 'converts' your undergraduate degree to Psychology as well as being a Masters).

Now that I've been accepted onto the course, I've been researching the next step, and have seen from pretty much every source that Clinical Psychology PhD and PsyD programs are very difficult to get onto in both the UK and the US (I'm from the UK but it is also possible for me to study in the US). In addition to this, I'm considering the opportunity costs in terms of how long it will potentially take me to get accepted on one of those programs and then how long to study the doctorate itself.

This has made me think about the alternative route of studying a Masters in Psychotherapy/Counseling instead. Can anyone give me a comparison of Clinical Psychologists and Psychotherapists in terms of the quality of their skills & expertise and the job prospects? Are psychotherapists just as well-qualified to counsel people as psychologists, or are psychotherapists limited to private practice with clients who seek out a therapist? I am aware that the average salary for a clinical psychologist is higher; my question more concerns the quality of work that they do. I wouldn't want to be a psychotherapist if a clinical psychologist is vastly better equipped at their profession.

I'd be really grateful if someone could shed some light on this!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am a clinical psychologist who primarily does psychotherapy, at least at this point in my career. I think I am better at what I do than most MA level providers in part because of my training as a psychologist. Also, as my first sentence intimates, I also have more options. I have taught, consulted, testified in court as an expert, supervised other psychotherapists, been an administrator, and psychological assessment, and hope to one day get some more research done and publish. I wouldn't want to be "just a psychotherapist", but all but one of my former employees were just that and they are completely happy about it.

Thank you for your input, smalltownpsych. I do value having variety in my life, and I understand that you have been able to do many different things because of your qualifications and knowledge.

I forgot to mention that I am 30 and embarking on a 2nd career, and am unsure about which country(ies) I will be living in. My partner is from the US and we are both 'travelers'. These are also factors in my decision-making. I've been wondering if it is possible to find counseling work online so that I can one day work remotely. Personally, as a client I think I would need the intimacy of a real-life meeting to get the most from a therapist, but maybe this isn't true for most people.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you elaborate on this? Thanks.

They re still figuring out how to regulate it. Every state has it's own jurisdiction with slightly different laws. If you are licensed in X state but are seeing someone for online therapy in Y state, do you need a license in both states? How do you handle crisis situations (e.g., suicidality/homicidality)?. Among other issues.

I've been wondering if it is possible to find counseling work online so that I can one day work remotely. Personally, as a client I think I would need the intimacy of a real-life meeting to get the most from a therapist, but maybe this isn't true for most people.

There is good evidence that telehealth counseling and psychotherapy can be effective in many circumstances. The real issue is the ethical and legal ramifications of practicing across jurisdictions. As WisNeuro and T4C mentioned, the US hasn't even worked out clear guidance for interstate practice. Practicing across international borders is risky territory.

An example: I recently exchanged emails with a therapist outside the US who was seeking help for a difficult situation. She did a Skype consultation with a family living in the US who wanted help for a longstanding abuse situation but did not want law enforcement or social services involved. She painted herself into a corner by promising not to reveal any identifying information, at which point she started seeking referrals for American providers. Though in my opinion she handled things poorly from the start, even if she had done things differently the legal issues would still be murky.